Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ is as racist as --

NZ is as racist as --

Old Apr 9th 2018, 3:50 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default NZ is as racist as --

http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/entert...a-waititi.html

I for one do not agree with Duncan Garner on this, basically saying that as Taika was NZ of the year he has to say nothing but nice things about NZ and as for the co hosts stating that every country has issues, thats all well and good but NZ is promoted world wide as a clean green country and Taika is pointing out it's really not.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 4:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: NZ is as racist as --

Despite legislation, the UK remains much the same. I routinely hear racist labels and racist remarks. I live in a part of the UK where "White Flight" is a marked feature of life.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 5:34 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

The point that was missed or ignored by media was the fact that he said he thought it was the best place on earth but it was not clean and green as portrayed to the rest of the world, he did not say it didn't happen elsewhere.

Think Garner has a personal thing against him
Old Apr 9th 2018, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
The point that was missed or ignored by media was the fact that he said he thought it was the best place on earth but it was not clean and green as portrayed to the rest of the world, he did not say it didn't happen elsewhere.

Think Garner has a personal thing against him
I have not read Garner's article so won't comment on that part.

There is another article on the Stuff website that supported asking questions on the topic. https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainmen...a-racist-place

I, for one, have come to the conclusion that there is no point offering any criticism or suggestions for improvement to the New Zealanders. They* don't want to hear it.

*Not all of them obviously. There are some open-minded ones - now living overseas in my experience.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clappy
I, for one, have come to the conclusion that there is no point offering any criticism or suggestions for improvement to the New Zealanders. They* don't want to hear it.

*Not all of them obviously. There are some open-minded ones - now living overseas in my experience.
Hence the backlash that Taika will now get from the majority of NZers. Did you see the "Help racism" video spoof he made before? I see that's now getting a bit more attention too. He's a smart cookie, not that that will endear him to the rugby-adoring, child-beating proles of NZ.

I've found that the only sensible kiwis are ones who have spent time overseas (like doing an OE at least). If you have to rub shoulders with the ones who've hardly stepped foot off the shores, they can be very very parochial.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 8:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I don't particularly like the bloke but he is right on many levels.

Yeah, and New Zealanders are, like, experts in cynicism. We’re good observers, because we come from a place where basically nothing happens
Too true, they like to sit on the sideline and mock everyone else and are bitter about other folks who do well or get out.

I am ever more shocked and amazed every single day at work that people get away with total ignorance and can't be bothered to even try to pronounce people's names and places correctly. Most of the times they'll say Maori words in a jokey kind of way, knowing that what they're saying is wrong and oftentimes are blatantly disrespectful of 'culture', just to save face with their mates in case it makes them look a bit PC (aka soft).
Old Apr 9th 2018, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

I think that the younger kiwis might turn out OK, this piece of satire offers us all some hope.
https://thespinoff.co.nz/media/09-04...e8ef-506959573
Old Apr 9th 2018, 8:57 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Wink re: NZ is as racist as --

Another radio presenter struggling with relevancy and so trying to stir controversy every couple of weeks to generate some listeners? He should just admit that streaming media is better in almost every way that matters to consumers.

My New Zealander of the year was the Hector’s dolphin. Humans aren’t endemic at all and shouldn’t even be eligible .
Old Apr 9th 2018, 8:59 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Charismatic
My New Zealander of the year was the Hector’s dolphin..
and Maui.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

The whole planet is in the grip of a nationalistic resurgence because the internet has created an increased awareness of global f**k ups and failings. As humans we need to blame someone for all our problems, and its easier to blame someone who "isnt from round here", or looks, sounds, acts or prays to a different imaginary friend than the majority.

Like it or not, when backed into a corner we've all got the ability to be a racist b*****d in us and having a maori / chinese / black friend doesnt excuse anyone
Old Apr 9th 2018, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

Princess_Buttercup is an unknown quantity at this point

New Zealand is a colonised outpost of a dying Empire which was built on indigenous backs. It was also built with the help of Asian and Poly peoples and the working class of the commonwealth. A melting pot of different socio-economic/class backgrounds, with different religions and social mores and when you add in that you're isolated at the bottom of the world for a long time - it gets a bit insular and things get magnified. Add in RW governmental policy that squishes everyone, challenging your place in the world and if you don't have much to start with, it's really easy to start blaming the lowest hanging fruit which tends to be race based in NZ. I happen to agree with Taika and like his work.

It's also happening in the UK at the moment as well the last five years it's got worse and worse, and I'm a saying that as a white woman who "blends". Brexit is a bit of a mare to be honest and has given the drop kicks licence to come out of the woodwork and vent their particular brand of nastiness.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 2:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

Some of the comments in this thread are a bit rich considering one of the contributors have previously said they wouldnt touch Sth Auckland with a barge pole and also the recent mocking of Huntly. I think youll find most kiwis comparatively tolerant of other races, as surveys of migrants consistently prove. And as my own partner of asian ethnicity can attest to.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

I could also be less than diplomatic about the comment re mocking of people who do well and that persons own attitude to same . I think I can build an analogy using glasshouses and stones somehow.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garethwm
Some of the comments in this thread are a bit rich considering one of the contributors have previously said they wouldnt touch Sth Auckland with a barge pole and also the recent mocking of Huntly. I think youll find most kiwis comparatively tolerant of other races, as surveys of migrants consistently prove. And as my own partner of asian ethnicity can attest to.
Go on then, I'll bite, off you go...

When I read about the people who are moving in and trying to gentrify south Auckland. I think I would now need a longer pole, and I'd still lock the doors and wind up the car windows if driving through Huntly.

Last edited by Justcol; Apr 9th 2018 at 10:34 pm.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 9:43 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

The most racist people I have met in NZ have been other expats. Which is wonderfully ironic considering they themselves are immigrants.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.