Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ PR - route to working in Oz?

NZ PR - route to working in Oz?

Old Jan 11th 2010, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute
Default NZ PR - route to working in Oz?

Can anyone tell me how easy it is and how long it takes if I have PR in New Zealand, but want to go and work in Australia? Will I require NZ citzenship and how long does that take?
Old Jan 11th 2010, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: NZ PR - route to working in Oz?

Originally Posted by Perry Groves
Can anyone tell me how easy it is and how long it takes if I have PR in New Zealand, but want to go and work in Australia? Will I require NZ citzenship and how long does that take?
As I understand it, you need to be an NZ citizen to have the right to work in Aus. This means 5 years PR.

Cheers
Old Jan 12th 2010, 5:11 am

george toni is an unknown quantity at this point

yep 5 years at the mo but that could all change during that time as stuff tends to so risk is all yours.

if you want aussie just go for pr there

george
Old Jan 12th 2010, 5:52 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perry Groves
Yep, you need NZ citizenship to live and work in Oz but PRs of Australia can live and work in NZ

It takes 5 years to get NZ citizenship plus the time to process your citizenship application. Then you get issued a Special Category Visa (subclass 444) at border. This used to give you the same status as PRs in Australia but there was a law change that has resulted in reduced access to welfare and benefits to SCV holders. See the Australian Immi article for more info http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/17nz.htm

New Zealand citizens who arrive in Australia on or after 27 February 2001 must apply for, and be granted, Australian permanent residence if they wish to access certain social security payments not covered by the bilateral agreement, obtain Australian citizenship or sponsor their family members for permanent residence.
If you want to bring in any immediate family who will not have citizenship you need to apply for a VISA for them beforehand (subclass 461) which is temporary (but easily extended) and requires police and health checks.

IMHO if you stand any chance of gaining Oz PR in your own right, I'd go down that route as there is no route from SCV- Australian PR.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

Knightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really nice

Bourbon is right. PR is not the route to work in OZ though it used to be so in the past. Citizenship will give you that but at the expense of benefits. Residency route in OZ would be the best way. If you don't have enough points, OZ working experience might give you the edge then. good luck