Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ - poverty myth.

NZ - poverty myth.

Old Nov 28th 2005, 3:14 pm
Memetchi

cypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to all
Default Re: NZ - poverty myth.

Originally Posted by Apollo10
The thread started is called NZ Poverty Myth. It is not a myth. There is poverty in NZ.
No-one is claiming that. The poor, as they say, will always be with us, to some extent. The original poster was saying that the myth was that poverty was rife (unusually widespread) in New Zealand.

Originally Posted by apollo10
Pointy fingers at the UK ... will not make the problem here disappear.
Of course not, and the UK and NZ governments have programs to address poverty overall and child poverty, with varying degrees of success. But hyping up the problem in NZ as an unusually high level of poverty is not going to help either.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 7:28 pm
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by tottefan
Everyone knows that NZ isn't a third world country. The life expectancy, literacy rates, average salaries etc. prove this. Of course, that doesn't mean that having to support a family there is probably easy, but children there don't die of malnutrition, poor health etc.

Children probably don't have as many toys, nice clothes, and it's probably harder for parents to pay the bills, but I don't think people there suffer the effects of 'serious' poverty.

In other words, of course there's poverty, but nothing too serious. People do not live in tiny little huts with no electricity, running water etc. That is what I call poverty!

tottefan.
Thats not what UNICEF counts as poverty either
Old Nov 28th 2005, 7:33 pm
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cypherpunk
Good, because the UK child poverty level is within statistical noise distance of the NZ child poverty level, three places up the league table at 15.4% vs 16.3% (before housing costs I assume). http://www.unicef.org/brazil/repcard6e.pdf
Interesting i thought that the countries with the "Least" poverty are those with massively expensive "Welfare State systems" that is crippling them and the country with the worst probably "USA" has the least expensive welfare state system but could probably afford it the most..........i guess thats progress!
Old Nov 28th 2005, 8:36 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I doubt that Unicef or Save the Children use hype.

Its an interesting point, well made IMO, Pompey Paul.

US high in UN child poverty table

Higher government spending on families is needed, the UN says
The US has one of the highest rates of relative child poverty among the world's wealthiest countries, according to a report by the UN.
The US, which is second only to Mexico in the UN children's agency report, is nonetheless one of few countries to see a recent decline in child poverty.

In total, Unicef says up to 50 million children are living in poverty in rich nations and the figure is rising.

Children in Nordic countries are best off, due to higher social spending.

Unicef looked at 24 of the 30 states in the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) - a Paris-based group of the world's wealthiest nations.

The figures refer to relative poverty defined as households with income per head below 50% of the national average.

Its Child Poverty in Rich Countries report found that the number of children living in poverty had risen in 17 of those countries over the past decade.

"No matter which of the commonly used poverty measures is applied, the situation of children is seen to have deteriorated over the last decade," the report says.

National wealth

Even in the few countries where deprivation is declining the rate can remain high - as is the case in the US, where about 22% of those aged under 18 are still living in relative poverty.

Similarly, the UK still has 15% of the child population below the poverty line despite government campaigns which have led to a 10% drop.

Unicef regional director Philip O'Brien stressed that the figures were relative to the average household income of the countries involved, rather than their national wealth.

Higher government spending on family and social benefits is very clearly associated with a lower level of child poverty

Philip O'Brien
Unicef regional director

"The child living in poverty in the US is clearly not as badly off as the child in Mexico," he said.

Top of the table are Denmark and Finland, where child poverty levels are less than 3%, while Norway and Sweden follow close behind.

Unicef praised the Nordic nations for their social spending on families.

"Higher government spending on family and social benefits is very clearly associated with a lower level of child poverty," said Mr O'Brien.

He said market forces could not on their own lift children out of poverty and urged direct intervention through greater government spending.

Only the US, the UK, Australia and Norway have had significant drops in child deprivation, according to the figures supplied to the OECD over the past 15 years.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

tottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant future

You're right the person that started this thread just wanted to start a big squabble on the board.
What a load of cra*. I clearly stated that NZ has a worse standard of living than the UK at least 2 or 3 times.

For the umpteenth time, I'm not saying that NZ doesn't have poverty, I just contest what some people have said on here about NZ being practically a third world country!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

End of discussion.

tottefan.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 12:27 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

What a load of cra*. I clearly stated that NZ has a worse standard of living than the UK at least 2 or 3 times.

For the umpteenth time, I'm not saying that NZ doesn't have poverty, I just contest what some people have said on here about NZ being practically a third world country!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

End of discussion.

tottefan.
Gosh I really must wind you up
Old Nov 29th 2005, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

melting pot is on a distinguished road

End of discussion.

tottefan.
No you were trying to imply that the poverty in NZ wasn't " real poverty" by your standards......

Some aspects would be considered being like that of the third world...or have you not read those posts....have you changed your opinion at all or are you still entrenching in the fact that NZ is first class all the same.

Anyway what is it you have set out to achieve by this post....
Old Nov 29th 2005, 12:35 am
Banned

auldduck is an unknown quantity at this point

I have never been happy with the definition of 'poverty' as a level of income some way below the median. Poverty can easily be measured in more absolute terms, eg a definition that would look at the number of people without adequate shelter, nutrition, education etc.

As far as the UK, NZ or any of the OECD countries are concerned, virtually NOBODY lives in poverty unless through choice.

cheers - Quackers
Old Nov 29th 2005, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by auldduck
I have never been happy with the definition of 'poverty' as a level of income some way below the median. Poverty can easily be measured in more absolute terms, eg a definition that would look at the number of people without adequate shelter, nutrition, education etc.

As far as the UK, NZ or any of the OECD countries are concerned, virtually NOBODY lives in poverty unless through choice.

cheers - Quackers
You had stated in a previous post that to have a take home of less than $1000 would be pushing the povo line....so maybe the expression of poverty has changed its meaning to you ...
Old Nov 29th 2005, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

tottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant future

No you were trying to imply that the poverty in NZ wasn't " real poverty" by your standards......
Incorrect. Using my previous quotes:

to say that poverty is rife in NZ is a load of cra*. After all, it is a first-world country with very little 'serious' poverty.
Notice the use of 'severe'. I was implying that poverty does exist in NZ (as in other countries as well), but not on the same level as the third world.

Another of my old quotes;

In other words, of course there's poverty, but nothing too serious
I think that should clarify that melting point.

tottefan.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

Location: I'm a Brit who's lived in Auckland for the last 2 years
NZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant future

In reply to Tottefan:

Yeah but you also said that no-one lives in tin huts with no water or electricity which was an incorrect statement so what do you know?
Old Nov 29th 2005, 10:22 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NZ Climber
In reply to Tottefan:

Yeah but you also said that no-one lives in tin huts with no water or electricity which was an incorrect statement so what do you know?
No, no, he said 'tiny huts' not 'tin huts'...
Old Nov 29th 2005, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

Location: I'm a Brit who's lived in Auckland for the last 2 years
NZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Pinkie Pie
No, no, he said 'tiny huts' not 'tin huts'...
Oh well, he got it even more wrong then because whether they're made of wood or tin, they're tiny in a lot of places
Old Nov 29th 2005, 11:35 pm
livewire

Not to be confused with NZ's Tinny houses.

Old Nov 29th 2005, 11:57 pm
Forum Regular

Incorrect. Using my previous quotes:

Notice the use of 'severe'. I was implying that poverty does exist in NZ (as in other countries as well), but not on the same level as the third world.

Another of my old quotes;

I think that should clarify that melting point.

tottefan.
Oh I see its word games Mr totte that you want to play.....play ground antics now...that is a shame.... or is it a politician you aspire to be, your definition of poverty is only that of true poverty if its severe or serious, but severe/serious is only the case if its used with reference to the Third world....!!!!..ummmmmm
Well if thats what you think...YOU MUST KNOW YOU ARE RIGHT....even if that isn't the findings of what you have read on the other posts here.

Last edited by melting pot; Nov 29th 2005 at 11:59 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.