Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ - poverty myth.

NZ - poverty myth.

Old Nov 27th 2005, 9:33 pm
livewire

Default Re: NZ - poverty myth.

Originally Posted by NZ Climber
I hadn't even thought about the actual quality of the water Livewire, although it is reportedly extremely bad in areas. It was more actually getting water - you only have to be one bay over from where we live and you have to collect your own water via rainfall. And we live in Auckland, the largest city in NZ, home to 3/8 of the population...

Outside of Auckland there are many places where there are no roads, it's all tracks to get to the settlements, there's no electricity in many of these places, no sewage and certainly no water system. You either collect what falls out of the sky or if you're lucky you have a bore.

So, no roads, no mains sewage or electricity or water in some places. Hmmm, says "third world" to me, not sure about Tottefan, he probably thinks that's 'rustic'...
Yes, you only have to go a few K's north of Auckland to find places like the new upmarket "Freshfields" estate at Waimaku - each house has its own septic and water tanks.

Then there is the million dollar lifestyle development called "Goodlands" in Dairy flats - has its own little stand-alone waste water treament plant but no mains water supply.

You don't have to travel far into Rodney DC to find many unsurfaced roads either.

Not much money around to be invested in infrastructure I guess

Old Nov 27th 2005, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

melting pot is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by NZ Climber
I hadn't even thought about the actual quality of the water Livewire, although it is reportedly extremely bad in areas. It was more actually getting water - you only have to be one bay over from where we live and you have to collect your own water via rainfall. And we live in Auckland, the largest city in NZ, home to 3/8 of the population...

Outside of Auckland there are many places where there are no roads, it's all tracks to get to the settlements, there's no electricity in many of these places, no sewage and certainly no water system. You either collect what falls out of the sky or if you're lucky you have a bore.

So, no roads, no mains sewage or electricity or water in some places. Hmmm, says "third world" to me, not sure about Tottefan, he probably thinks that's 'rustic'...

And in terms of the railway system here, the trains in Kenya (a third world country i'm sure everyone will agree) run to the timetable better and are more numerous than the trains here...

But that probably adds to the charm of the place for Mr "i've never been to NZ and have no idea what i'm talking about", right?
I think his mums just reminded him to go to bed. NZC..school in the morning after all...
Old Nov 27th 2005, 10:09 pm
livewire

Originally Posted by tottefan
My mother has always cooked fresh food, though, and we've always managed.
Well your mum should do well here, I like to do all my own cooking too. The unprocessed food here is pretty good: steak and salmon are nothing like they are in the UK and just wait until she tries the Snapper. Get her to give you some lessons

I've not read many of your posts, so I don't know your background, but will your mum be coming with you to NZ or are you leaving home to cross the great divide?

Old Nov 28th 2005, 12:35 am
livewire

Going back to the infrastructure thing....

I've just been reading Teletext. (p. 201 I think it was) and it says that Transpower wants to raise prices by 19% next June and then wants annual increases of up to 13% for the next 4 years. I think it was to pay for upgrading the national grid.

The Commerce Commission may impose price controls unless Transpower can justify the increases.

Old Nov 28th 2005, 2:00 am
Memetchi

cypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by southerner
a brief read of livewire's link shows 1 in 5 live in "relative" poverty in NZ; ie. 20% of households living on less than 60% of the median income. No idea what the UK equivalent would be.
The figures for the UK are roughly the same: about 15 million people living at 60% or less of median household income, and the proportion of children living in households that have 60% or less of median income after housing costs is 3 in 10. 2002 figures from http://www.dwp.gov.uk/asd/hbai/hbai2002/contents.asp chapters 3 and 4.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 2:23 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Save the Children Fund report March 2005.

NZ's child poverty levels unacceptable

1 March 2005

Save the Children called on the New Zealand Government today to honour its responsibilities to children under the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC) 1, following the release of a UNICEF report which ranked New Zealand 4th worst on an OECD child poverty league table.
Executive Director of Save the Children New Zealand John Bowis said New Zealand’s ranking, compared with other developed countries like Hungary, Greece and Poland, is unacceptable.
“The Working for Families package demonstrates a significant move by Government to reduce child poverty for some families, but there is still a long way to go before child poverty is eradicated in New Zealand. Children should be given maximum priority in election year.”

This is not to say that there is not poverty in the UK also. There is.
The above is to illustrate that there IS poverty in New Zealand & at what level its rated by Save the Children fund and UNICEF.
After all its NZ we are all interested in ,isn't it.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 2:36 am
Memetchi

cypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Apollo10
This is not to say that there is not poverty in the UK also.
Good, because the UK child poverty level is within statistical noise distance of the NZ child poverty level, three places up the league table at 15.4% vs 16.3% (before housing costs I assume). http://www.unicef.org/brazil/repcard6e.pdf
Old Nov 28th 2005, 5:35 am
`

Originally Posted by cypherpunk
Good, because the UK child poverty level is within statistical noise distance of the NZ child poverty level, three places up the league table at 15.4% vs 16.3% (before housing costs I assume). http://www.unicef.org/brazil/repcard6e.pdf
There is no need to be defensive. I had already stated there is poverty in the UK.
I am yet to fathom why , at the slightest sniff of a warts and all New Zealand, some want to throw sticks and pot shots at the UK. Why? It's silly and it tickles me a bit, I will admit. There is no need to do this. What is the point The UK is the UK. NZ is NZ. Why not choose Poland ? Or the USA. Most from the UK accept its bad points and will be honest about them. Warts and all.
I am secure enough not to feel defensive about the UK. I am sensible enough to be able to look honestly at New Zealand, just as I do the UK or anywhere else.

The thread and this forum , for that matter, is about New Zealand. The first post ,albeit from someone with a hugh wooden stirring spoon, suggested that poverty in NZ was some sort of myth. It is not.

Never mind the retaliation shots at the UK. NZ is where we are, or where we think we would like to be. NZ is the country therefore that is under discussion.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 5:42 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

You're right the person that started this thread just wanted to start a big squabble on the board.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 7:47 am
turkeytickler

There is no need to be defensive. I had already stated there is poverty in the UK.
I am yet to fathom why , at the slightest sniff of a warts and all New Zealand, some want to throw sticks and pot shots at the UK. Why? It's silly and it tickles me a bit, I will admit. There is no need to do this. What is the point The UK is the UK. NZ is NZ. Why not choose Poland ? Or the USA. Most from the UK accept its bad points and will be honest about them. Warts and all.
I am secure enough not to feel defensive about the UK. I am sensible enough to be able to look honestly at New Zealand, just as I do the UK or anywhere else.

The thread and this forum , for that matter, is about New Zealand. The first post ,albeit from someone with a hugh wooden stirring spoon, suggested that poverty in NZ was some sort of myth. It is not.

Never mind the retaliation shots at the UK. NZ is where we are, or where we think we would like to be. NZ is the country therefore that is under discussion.
I think that people in NZ are brought up in a fairly unquestioningly patriotic fashion ala the US and this defensive reaction is only to be expected..... :-(

Old Nov 28th 2005, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by turkeytickler
I think that people in NZ are brought up in a fairly unquestioningly patriotic fashion ala the US and this defensive reaction is only to be expected..... :-(
I'd much rather be in a place that is proud of its country and its achievements - brits are very good at slating the UK and downplaying its positives (and I say that as a brit!)
Vicki
Old Nov 28th 2005, 8:36 am
Memetchi

I am yet to fathom why , at the slightest sniff of a warts and all New Zealand, some want to throw sticks and pot shots at the UK.
Not at all, I was just responding to comments like:
There is a large gap between the haves and have nots in this country, more so than you see in the UK.
and
you have no real-world idea what the poverty is like in this country. It's not on african standards but make no bones about it, there are a lot of people very badly off indeed in this country. Like has been mentioned, 1 in 3 kids lives in poverty, statistical fact.
The idea that these levels of income inequality and relative poverty are unusual in a developed country is just wrong. You will get them wherever there is a large range of incomes and a lower level of financial support for people on low incomes, and that includes New Zealand and the UK. New Zealand's level of income inequality (as measured by the Gini coefficient) is the same as the UK's. http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/13/19/34556968.xls
Old Nov 28th 2005, 9:01 am
turkeytickler

Originally Posted by Joshlin
I'd much rather be in a place that is proud of its country and its achievements - brits are very good at slating the UK and downplaying its positives (and I say that as a brit!)
Vicki
i personally try to be realistic about positive and negatives.... that involves acknowledging one to enjoy the other..

Old Nov 28th 2005, 9:26 am
Just Joined

UNIONJACK is on a distinguished road

I think the sad fact of the matter is some people are never going to be happy wherever they live. I take it all those that moved to NZ did so because they weren't happy in the UK, and unfortunately some of you are now not happy in NZ. Some people can adapt better than others and some people will make things work and be happy whatever the situation. That is not a criticism it is a fact of life, how boring the world would be if we were all the same. When we go out in Feb 2006 I am going to the prison service on $36k and yes I know that is cra* money and we will have to adapt, my wife will still have to work etc. But for us life in the UK is getting worse every year. We will take everybody's advice onboard and do whatever it takes to make the move a success. Will I live to regret it only time will tell, but we will not be put off by some bad experiences. I wish everybody luck that is going over and hope that those that are struggling have a change of fortune soon.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 9:55 am
`

Eh? You been on the juice? I think you have replied in the wrong thread.

The thread started is called NZ Poverty Myth.
It is not a myth. There is poverty in NZ.
The answer is Yis!
If what was posted doesn't suit your palate - take it up with Save the Children or Unicef.
No amount of wriggling ,will make it otherwise. Pointy fingers at the UK, which is a national past time with many & oh! so easy to do over so many issues for some, will not make the problem here disappear.
Poverty is here in NZ. Its nothing to be proud of. Heads buried in the sand will do no good. Its not something to gloss over .
Its not something that can be defended by trying to highlight poverty elsewhere in the world.
It needs taking on the chin. It needs its people to stand up and state that, yes, there is poverty here. It needs those people to say they want their government to do something about it. It doesn't need anyone trying to shift the real focus by gabbling on about elsewhere.

Its New Zealand we are in or hoping to come to. If everyone is so proud of this country, why is there any child poverty.

Last edited by BEVS; Nov 28th 2005 at 10:14 am. Reason: fumble fingers. Hadn't finished the post.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.