British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   NZ Plumbers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/nz-plumbers-509236/)

psa2570 Jan 26th 2008 11:58 am

NZ Plumbers

Hi there y'all,

I'm a Plumber here in GB (Tavistock), i retrained last year intensively and did my City & Guilds Level 2 at a GOLA certified centre in Kent.

We would like to, nay dearly love to, emigrate out to NZ with me as the principal applicant. My OH :wub: is a Teacher and we can come out on her degree but would rather not, so that she can spend time with the kids while they integrate into NZ schools, lifestyle, etc.

Any info, hints, tips anyone has on what GB level of qual' is needed to achieve a NZ Level 4 (NZ PGDB minimum standard), also has anybody managed to gain provisional registration with PGDB and work/train with a NZ Plumbing firm to achieve the desired level ? :confused:

I look forward to hearing from you all.
Cheery bye for now,
Paul.

cally49 Jan 26th 2008 8:39 pm

Re: NZ Plumbers

Hi there just a quick hello and to let you know that "Bevs here" knows loads about this i am sure she will pop in when she has time. In the meantime you may be able to do a search for some of her posts.
Have a nice weekend.
Cheers
Cally:)

BEVS Jan 28th 2008 1:50 am

Originally Posted by psa2570 (Post 5841565)

I'm a Plumber here in GB (Tavistock), i retrained last year intensively and did my City & Guilds Level 2 at a GOLA certified centre in Kent.

HHmm. Well done to you.

We would like to, nay dearly love to, emigrate out to NZ with me as the principal applicant. My OH :wub: is a Teacher and we can come out on her degree but would rather not, so that she can spend time with the kids while they integrate into NZ schools, lifestyle, etc.

You may find coming out on her quals easier and quicker to be honest.

Any info, hints, tips anyone has on what GB level of qual' is needed to achieve a NZ Level 4 (NZ PGDB minimum standard)

You will need NVQ or C&G level 3.
That , I believe these days, is the point at which you are recognised as a fully certified UK plumber. This level will include aspects of gas etc.
Please be aware that the PGDB also assess on trade experience. They ask for evidence of 5 years work experience in the trade.

To understand where they are coming from you should be aware that in NZ you become a plumber via a 4 year, on the tools, apprenticeship . Once you have completed this & also passed the coursework one is awarded the NZ National Certificate in plumbing. This would not mean one is fully qualified. From that you go onto sit the PGDB trade registration exams.

So , this is why the PGDB look for FULLY certified overseas plumbers and also for several years trade experience.

Please download and read Immigrate Qualification System on the PGDB website [click the blue type] & come back to me with any queries about this.

also has anybody managed to gain provisional registration with PGDB and work/train with a NZ Plumbing firm to achieve the desired level ? :confused:

There is no such thing as a provisional licence. If you come to New Zealand and start a plumbing job , then both you and the NZ employer will apply for a Limited Licence. This means that your work is directly supervised and signed off by an NZ registered plumber. You would remain on the Limited licence until became registered.

It would be wise to work for an NZ plumbing firm for at least a year before undertaking the full 4 day assessment and 3 hour registration exam. This is because you will be expected to know NZ rules and regs plus do a bit of math etc. There are several aspects of NZ plumbing that are not the same as the UK. You will need to be familiar with these methods.

For examples of the type of plumbing, take a look at the registration exam papers on the PGDB website. [ link already given above.]

If you are thinking that you would come to NZ on the C&G level 2 and then work your way to becoming registered in NZ , then my advice would be a resounding NO. Don't do it. Get the C&G level 3 in the UK first. Get a few years behind you & then be assessed by the PGDB.

If you ended up not getting a positive preliminary PGDB assessment because you had chosen to submit with just an NVQ/C&G 2 , then they may well suggest you go back to square on and take up a NZ apprenticeship. This, you would not want to do.

Lemme know your thoughts......

psa2570 Jan 28th 2008 7:46 am

Hi Bev and many thanks for such a quick and insightful response.
I've been working in Plumbing for some time now, 99% of it on my days off from when I used to work in a factory for years after leaving the Military. I started labouring on my days off for a friend who was a Plumber and he took me on as a semi-permanent cash-in-hand type. I learnt a helluva lot while working with him and to begin with, when trading on my own, I missed having him around to ask whenever I found something I wasn't sure of. But I can't prove that as relevant experience.

On the provisional registration thing with NZ PGDB/NZ Plumbing Firms, I was told by an aforementioned Immigration Agent that that may be a viable route into Plumbing in NZ to work and train over there up to the required PGDB level.
But, I think doing the C&G Level 3 over here will be the best option, it'll take time (2-3 years from now) but I'll gain more experience along the way and hopefully be more desirable to the PGDB in the end.

Thanks again for your help,
Paul.

BEVS Jan 28th 2008 9:51 am

My belief is that as it stands at present, you would not be able to gain PR using your current plumbing qualification. The PGDB would return an unfavorable preliminary assessment.

If you both wish to gain PR through your plumbing qualifications, then the C&G level 3 is the sensible way to go. It's better the devil you know , than the devil you don't . Come out fully armed and with PR under your belt.

There would be nothing to stop you both applying for NZ PR [permanent residency] using your wifes teaching and her degree. However, when it came to you working as a registered plumber here you would be scuppered as you would not get past the preliminary assessment and therefore would not be allowed to take the full registration assessment. You would find yourself either on a permanent limited licence, being paid less money than your fellow plumbers or you would have to undertake a 4 year apprenticeship in NZ. Doing that would mean that you had really wasted your efforts in gaining your C&G 2, although you could be assessed for some prior learning.

As I said before , there is no such thing as a Provisional Licence. You cannot train up here in NZ to the required PGDB level. You are either in an apprenticeship to gain the National Certificate, or you are not. Your aim must be to come into NZ at the equivalent of the National Certificate standard and then work your way to Registration and Craftsman from that.

Keep in mind that even with the required C&G level 3 & a positive outcome to the PGDB prelimiary assessment which costs $400, you would still, in the future once living and working here in NZ, need to undergo a PGDB interview, a 3 hour exam and 4 days of practical assessment plus part with $3800 before you would be passed as NZ registered. That in itself dictates that you should aim to start from a level playing field.

But, I think doing the C&G Level 3 over here will be the best option, it'll take time (2-3 years from now) but I'll gain more experience along the way and hopefully be more desirable to the PGDB in the end.
Yes ! Have some karma for that. In my honest opinion, this is the only sensible way to go.

The limited licence issued to apprentices , plumbers mates, labourers and new migrants working within the plumbing trade, is not a route towards PGDB registration or NZ PR for you.

dlmckay Jan 29th 2008 9:46 pm

Have to say I agree with everything Bev has put down... my hubby had no plumbing experience whatsoever and has been attempting to get qualified through a 3 year apprenticeship programme through the Apprentice Training Trust.

He gets $12 an hour, plus a 65c tool allowance. He has to work on his own, with phone support if he gets stuck and the householder pays $65 plus call out :blink: It sucks.

He has been trying to pass his registration exam, however, we have just got the news last night that he's failed again and needs to resit in April :curse:

If I were you, if NZ was the one place you wanted to be, I'd use your wife's quals to get in.