British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   NZ Plane Birth (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/nz-plane-birth-598819/)

ukkiwi Mar 20th 2009 12:20 pm

NZ Plane Birth

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/7954431.stm

sparkie down under Mar 20th 2009 7:38 pm

Re: NZ Plane Birth

there are just way too many questions on this? Way too many.

But best of all what was the airline? Virgin - think not!

jmh Mar 20th 2009 7:42 pm

Those Samoans can be big ladies, so I can sort of see how one might get aboard looking pregnant.

sparkie down under Mar 20th 2009 8:06 pm

even so, she couldn't have popped a baby out so quickly that no-one noticed. And don't newly born babies cry. (especially when dumped in the bin)

scrubbedexpat094 Mar 20th 2009 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by sparkie down under (Post 7402212)
even so, she couldn't have popped a baby out so quickly that no-one noticed. And don't newly born babies cry. (especially when dumped in the bin)

According to my missus, you'd be surprised how fast they can pop out. Some women labour 'silently'. They can be having cracking contractions being monitored by the CTG/ or palpated by a midwife & be smiling & chatting away.
I suppose a baby crying on a busy plane or airport is likely to go unnoticed.

My wife & colleagues were speculating on issues such as blood loss & placenta. Seems to be alot of confusion with this story. It's all very odd. :confused:

luvwelly Mar 21st 2009 12:52 am

Very strange story I agree. Nice to see though that the airline has offered to fly relatives out to NZ to support her and the baby :thumbsup:(since been reunited apparently) which makes a change from that car hire company wanting to charge the grieving parents of those two brothers killed at a glacier for replacement keys to the hire car.:thumbdown:

sparkie down under Mar 21st 2009 1:37 am

wow. Didn't know that.

Well sorry folks I'm busy for the rest of the day, getting the better half bunged up. Hopefully they'll fly my family out as well.:thumbsup:

sr71 Mar 21st 2009 2:40 am

Originally Posted by luvwelly (Post 7402988)
Very strange story I agree. Nice to see though that the airline has offered to fly relatives out to NZ to support her and the baby :thumbsup:(since been reunited apparently) which makes a change from that car hire company wanting to charge the grieving parents of those two brothers killed at a glacier for replacement keys to the hire car.:thumbdown:

I'm with the hire company on that one, although I do think it was all hyped up deliberately by the media.

I'm yet to hear if all the costs were waived for the brothers funeral and repatriation.

luvwelly Mar 23rd 2009 4:54 am

Originally Posted by sr71 (Post 7403221)
I'm with the hire company on that one, although I do think it was all hyped up deliberately by the media.

I'm yet to hear if all the costs were waived for the brothers funeral and repatriation.

Well I think you'll find what the airline is doing is the better PR of the two (as in Public Relations). There's a wholly innocent baby involved here and two grieving parents who had paid a great deal to holiday in NZ no doubt in the other example.

Browner_ Mar 23rd 2009 6:33 am

Originally Posted by luvwelly (Post 7408585)
Well I think you'll find what the airline is doing is the better PR of the two (as in Public Relations). There's a wholly innocent baby involved here and two grieving parents who had paid a great deal to holiday in NZ no doubt in the other example.

Well, putting a couple of Samoans on a flight to Auckland thats already scheduled and not full up is not going to cost Air New Zealand very much is it?

But surely this lady, must have occupied a toilet for quite a while, and no-one heard anything??? What was the state of the toilet for the next one in? And the crying baby was in the bin the whole time? It just beggars belief.

If you were Child Welfare, would you give her the baby back?

luvwelly Mar 23rd 2009 7:02 am

Originally Posted by Browner_ (Post 7408768)
Well, putting a couple of Samoans on a flight to Auckland thats already scheduled and not full up is not going to cost Air New Zealand very much is it?

But surely this lady, must have occupied a toilet for quite a while, and no-one heard anything??? What was the state of the toilet for the next one in? And the crying baby was in the bin the whole time? It just beggars belief.

Probably not but it doesn't mean there aren't blood relatives able to provide appropriate care. Must be more to come out still as you imply..those bins are tiny :confused:

BEVS Mar 24th 2009 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by Browner_ (Post 7408768)

Actually, cabin crew are s'posed to come along & check the loos if someone is in there for what is considered too long.

On my 2nd leg back from the UK I was in the loo for a touch longer than normal - (overcome with grief whilst freshening up and didn't want the plane to see me in that state, so frantically dabbing the eyeballs ) - and 2 of the cabin crew started banging on the door and then opened the door to check what I was a-doing of. :o

Genesis Mar 25th 2009 8:18 am

[

If you were Child Welfare, would you give her the baby back?[/QUOTE]

No!!!!!!! And I would charge her with attempted murder..I know
about infanticide and the defences...BUT she put it in the frigging bin!!!!!!! If thats not leaving the child to die what is??? And having post natal dep. is not going to wash for me. The word is that its all about 'shame'. Yeah right..shame she got up the duff!!!!

sparkie down under Mar 25th 2009 9:01 pm

Now Now Genesis, you know you mustn't criticise pacific islanders and associates. It is probably a cultural thing, like what the spartans did back in 50AD