British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   NZ passport - should get UK one before return? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/nz-passport-should-get-uk-one-before-return-417476/)

Am Loolah Jan 7th 2007 10:32 pm

NZ passport - should get UK one before return?

Boring, can't be arsed to find out myself, question!!!

Hubby has Kiwi passport with "Right of Abode" stamp for the UK. We are "returning" to NZ with him for the long haul.

Should he apply for a UK passport before we go incase he needs to return for family reasons?

What's the longest he can return to the UK on his NZ passport before having problems here?

He was told when he was 18 (centuries ago) that if he applied for a UK passport (his mother's English) he'd have to surrender his NZ one ... is this still the case or can he have both like our kids now do? If this is the case he obviously won't, but we are struggling to find the info.

kiwi_child Jan 7th 2007 10:52 pm

Re: NZ passport - should get UK one before return?

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 4258539)

Hubby has Kiwi passport with "Right of Abode" stamp for the UK. We are "returning" to NZ with him for the long haul.

Should he apply for a UK passport before we go incase he needs to return for family reasons?

What's the longest he can return to the UK on his NZ passport before having problems here?

He was told when he was 18 (centuries ago) that if he applied for a UK passport (his mother's English) he'd have to surrender his NZ one ... is this still the case or can he have both like our kids now do? If this is the case he obviously won't, but we are struggling to find the info.

If he has UK citizenship he should apply for a uk passport before leaving the uk. Otherwise he can apply from the British High Commission in Wellington.

He is allowed to hold 2 valid passports (I have 3). This is known as dual citizenship. He can also just decide to get anew 'right of abode' stamp in his next kiwi passport, but I think it's a lot easier to just get the uk passport as then there can be no dramas regarding the re-issuing of ROA stamp.

Am Loolah Jan 7th 2007 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by kiwi_child (Post 4258581)
If he has UK citizenship he should apply for a uk passport before leaving the uk. Otherwise he can apply from the British High Commission in Wellington.

He is allowed to hold 2 valid passports (I have 3). This is known as dual citizenship. He can also just decide to get anew 'right of abode' stamp in his next kiwi passport, but I think it's a lot easier to just get the uk passport as then there can be no dramas regarding the re-issuing of ROA stamp.

Don't know if he has or is entitled to UK citizenship - would perhaps assume he could get it as has lived here for over 30 years on a NZ passport? Any idea what constitutes getting UK citizenship & passport? Can he start the application before we leave the UK, but still return to NZ in the next 2 months for good?

kiwi_child Jan 7th 2007 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 4258590)
Don't know if he has or is entitled to UK citizenship - would perhaps assume he could get it as has lived here for over 30 years on a NZ passport? Any idea what constitutes getting UK citizenship & passport? Can he start the application before we leave the UK, but still return to NZ in the next 2 months for good?

If he has right of abode and has lived so long in the UK, then I'd assume he'd get citizenship without too much of a hassle, and especially as he is married to you (who I'm guessing is a uk citizen).

Only takes a couple of weeks to get a passport. The citizenship status is more the issue here. I'm going to post a link that may help, though it is from the British High Commission in Canberra, should still be relevant.

http://bhc.britaus.net/default.asp

jueinnz Jan 8th 2007 3:35 am

I would suggest that he gets his UK citizenship now while he can easily, because probably you need to show the same evidence of your relationship as you have had to do for you to come here, while youve got all the evidence handy.

cypherpunk Jan 8th 2007 8:51 am

As his mum is English he may be able to apply for a passport straight away, it depends on where he was born and what his mum's status was. Details are on http://www.uknationality.gov.uk/, Advice About Nationality, BN4.

Otherwise the citizenship application process based on residency takes a few months (it took three months in 2005 when I did it) so you may not have time to get through it. These days you have to take a "Life in the UK" test so it may be longer. Details are on the above website. I don't think you can complete the process from outside the country as you have to attend a citizenship ceremony at the end.

Littletoe Jan 8th 2007 9:15 am

Hiya

Similiar situation with my daughter. We have only applied for her Kiwi passport, deciding not to bother with UK one until later on in NZ. I spoke with Immigration (in the UK) and they have no probs with her leaving on a kiwi passport. Obviously if we had to return early for some reason, she'd just have to use her Kiwi passport.

Just thought I'd share my situation!

Nikki x

uk+kiwi Jan 8th 2007 9:37 am

Hi Caroline,

He will be able to get UK citizenship and a UK passport easily through a few options - living here for 30 years, married to you and I think his mother. I would ask which one would be quickest.

Advisable to at least get the citizenship (no need to pay for the passport yet if you don't need it) since your children are dual citizens (and you may be too in a few years time:) ).

We ended up choosing the 'marriage' route for my kiwi hubbie (you sponsor him a bit like he has with you to NZ) since at the time, many years ago now, it was the quickest option that guaranteed the result we wanted.

You're good at ticking all the boxes aren't you?! :)

P2L Jan 8th 2007 10:54 am

Am Loolah

WE've got a Kiwi mate who has been here for 35 years, (came here at 6 months old). He has indefinite leave to stay, which has always been just a formality to get transferred. But for the first time, they are making him jump thru hoops.

He has never taken UK citizenship, altho married to an English woman, and now have 2 kids, both who have UK/NZ passports. He now has to make the decision to apply for it, but no guarantee of him getting it!!!

There was a case recently of an Aussie judge (or solicitor, can't remember), been sent home after 43 years in this country as they reversed the definite leave to stay status of her passport.

My point is that they are tightening up on this area, but iMO the are going for "soft targets" not the illegals.

So do it now, while you're here and then any problems can be dealt with.:)

JAJ Jan 8th 2007 11:59 am

Originally Posted by jueinnz (Post 4259206)
I would suggest that he gets his UK citizenship now while he can easily, because probably you need to show the same evidence of your relationship as you have had to do for you to come here,

Not for naturalisation - all that's needed is a copy of marriage cert.

JAJ Jan 8th 2007 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi (Post 4259453)
He will be able to get UK citizenship and a UK passport easily through a few options - living here for 30 years, married to you and I think his mother. I would ask which one would be quickest.

Naturalisation (living in UK 30 years) will be a little longer and more complex - eg need to take Life in UK Test - however it gives transmissable British citizenship "otherwise than by descent".

Marriage is not a basis for British citizenship, sorry. All it does is reduce the naturalisation waiting period.

He can register as British through his mother if born on or after 8 Feb 1961 - however this gives British citizenship "by descent".

His choice.

JAJ Jan 8th 2007 12:10 pm

He was told when he was 18 (centuries ago) that if he applied for a UK passport (his mother's English) he'd have to surrender his NZ one .

That was wrong advice - New Zealand has allowed dual citizenship since 1949!!

I suspect the issue was that when he was 18, he wasn't *eligible* for a UK passport. British mothers only got the right to pass on their citizenship in 1983, and only in 2003 was a registration entitlement introduced for those born between 1961-1982.

Once he had lived sufficient years in the UK, he became eligible for British citizenship in his own right.

Am Loolah Jan 8th 2007 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 4259943)
That was wrong advice - New Zealand has allowed dual citizenship since 1949!!

I suspect the issue was that when he was 18, he wasn't *eligible* for a UK passport. British mothers only got the right to pass on their citizenship in 1983, and only in 2003 was a registration entitlement introduced for those born between 1961-1982.

Once he had lived sufficient years in the UK, he became eligible for British citizenship in his own right.

Thank you all for your advice. I shall get him to check out all the links. Yes, born in NZ, English mother, moved to UK when 7, born after 8th Feb 1961.

Can he apply and still leave the UK on his NZ passport, then get the UK sent on when it eventually materialises?

Thank you JAJ, I figured you'd know something!!

uk+kiwi Jan 8th 2007 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 4259915)
Marriage is not a basis for British citizenship, sorry. All it does is reduce the naturalisation waiting period.

Yes I see what you mean. That's what we did. Poor choice of words on my part.

Hubbie had been out of the UK for more days than was allowed under the 'applying based on residency in the UK' option (whatever that's called) so decided to apply under the 'support of UK wife' route (just one of the other tick boxes on the application form I think), whilst still having lived in the UK for several years. So hence the naturalisation period having effectively been speeded up I think.

JAJ Jan 9th 2007 1:02 am

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 4261506)
Thank you all for your advice. I shall get him to check out all the links. Yes, born in NZ, English mother, moved to UK when 7, born after 8th Feb 1961.

Can he apply and still leave the UK on his NZ passport, then get the UK sent on when it eventually materialises?

Yes he can. But you need to be really careful here. He can't apply for a British passport until he becomes a British citizen.

His steps are:

1. If he wants to apply for naturalisation based on his UK residence, he must take the Life in the UK Test (http://www.lifeintheuktest.gov.uk).
This test is not required if he wants to apply for registration based on his mother's birthplace.

2. Apply to the Home Office Immigration & Nationality Directorate for British citizenship. Form AN (naturalisation) or UKM (registration) plus supporting documentation and fees. Documents and fees will be different for each application.

3. Attend a citizenship ceremony to be sworn in as a British citizen. This is normally done at local council offices in Britain. If he moves to New Zealand in the meantime it will be done at a British diplomatic mission in NZ. He will receive a Certificate of Naturalisation or Certificate of Registration as a British citizen.

4. Apply for a British passport using his citizenship certificate (if he wants a British passport - it's not obligatory). If he is in New Zealand, then the British High Commission in Wellington will issue him a passport.