British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   NZ or Oz?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/nz-oz-791928/)

Genesis Mar 26th 2013 8:38 pm

NZ or Oz??

Well if you would like to earn $12,800 less here in NZ which is apparently 26% less than the Oz median wage come here. You know where to go for better wages. Hot off the press today. I wonder why so many skip the ditch? Must be the weather.

pintaguiness-pickledegg Mar 26th 2013 9:43 pm

Re: NZ or Oz??

I've worked with a lot of Kiwi nurses who have returned from 0z stating that it's ok for the short term but they don't like to settle permanently. Statements about unfriendly Aussies, weather being too damned hot, flies, expanse of area if you're not in the cities, etc... A lot of them miss their families a great deal just like we do, so I guess we're all the same? We thought about it, but to be honest I don't think I could face starting again in yet another strange country!!!

Snap Shot Mar 26th 2013 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by pintaguiness-pickledegg (Post 10625536)
I don't think I could face starting again in yet another strange country!!!

+1

jmh Mar 26th 2013 10:19 pm

I think if I was younger and keen on developing my career I probably would head for Oz, just because being a bigger economy means more opportunity. Being a kiwi it wouldn't be so bad for me as my family are mostly in NZ so not far to travel. I go to Sydney once a year for a conference and I gotta say, there seems to be a more positive energy there. Not sure if that extends to the rest of the country.

barnsleymat Mar 26th 2013 10:49 pm

It's going to be VERY tempting once we've been in NZ 5 years not to get our citizenship and jump the ditch.

GoingIn2011 Mar 27th 2013 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 10625431)
Well if you would like to earn $12,800 less here in NZ which is apparently 26% less than the Oz median wage come here. You know where to go for better wages. Hot off the press today. I wonder why so many skip the ditch? Must be the weather.

Lies, damn lies, and...

BEVS Mar 27th 2013 9:39 am

If we were younger and having been here for several years, we would be very tempted indeed. That is for the very many reasons peddled here on these forums every single day. Still. This isn't something we can do with a view to the long term but we may still avail ourselves of in the short term at some point,age notwithstanding. *

* disclaimer:

* Yes. Living in Oz costs are very high but living in NZ costs are quite crippling for some . Think!

M_and_M Mar 27th 2013 9:52 am

If I was younger and able to get an OZ visa, it would have been OZ definitely. I got all the pre prep done for OZ a few years ago, but my profession was taken off the skills shortage list while I was preparing the visa paperwork, and now I am too old.

chippy64 Mar 28th 2013 8:24 am

We looked at Oz - have Aunt and cousin in Adelaide. However, too hot and too many insects :). Even if I never saw one, I would have to check in my shoes, under loo seats etc every day (absolute creepy crawly phobic :eek:) and just couldn't face that. Visited both countries and just liked NZ.....and here we are :thumbsup:

RedDragon2008 Mar 30th 2013 4:36 am

Originally Posted by GoingIn2011 (Post 10626234)
Lies, damn lies, and...

Yes the difference is more like 10 times that:p

I got asked by a head hunter recently

He was pushing the lifestyle, the work life balance Bla Blah.

I said my salary expectations are based on current earnings in Oz. He fell out of his chair. They were only offering my monthly base as an annual total package.

simonsi Mar 30th 2013 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 10625431)

If life was as simple as that all elegible earners would simply flock to the highest earnings base they could.

Clearly just one part of life's balance for each individual to consider. "Fix" that factor and another may rear its head...

...and if Oz wages were lower would that drive up NZ's (probably not as more labour available in NZ equals lower wages)?

Tbh if NZ has the ability to backfill with skilled labour as it does then the drain to Oz can be a good thing...

simonsi Mar 30th 2013 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008 (Post 10631750)
Yes the difference is more like 10 times that:p

I got asked by a head hunter recently

He was pushing the lifestyle, the work life balance Bla Blah.

I said my salary expectations are based on current earnings in Oz. He fell out of his chair. They were only offering my monthly base as an annual total package.

Im confused.

You live in NZ?
Headhunter was for a NZ role?
You compared with Oz earnings?

RedDragon2008 Mar 30th 2013 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by simonsi (Post 10632538)
Im confused.

You live in NZ?
Headhunter was for a NZ role?
You compared with Oz earnings?

I am in OZ and the recruiter came to meet me about a role in NZ.

Charismatic Mar 30th 2013 8:43 pm

Won't go because I'm stubborn, there's no rational reason not to go.

Also I think it's bad form for many Kiwis to moan about how social or not Australians can be to foreigner. Immense bunch of babies.

simonsi Mar 30th 2013 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008 (Post 10632571)
I am in OZ and the recruiter came to meet me about a role in NZ.

:rofl: he wasted his time then....he was badly prepared or what?