British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   are the nz officials ok about applicants with police records. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/nz-officials-ok-about-applicants-police-records-418226/)

true red Jan 11th 2007 6:09 pm

are the nz officials ok about applicants with police records.

i am looking for some info with regards to my appliction for a work to residence visa. My wife and i are planning to move to nz, but i am a quite worried about my police record. i foolishly and regretably obtained it during my misspent youth. and now i am worried it will scupper my families chances of a new life. I wondererd if anyone could tell me what the nz immigrations stance is on records. I am a time served plumber and my wife is a midwife we are hoping to get to nz through my wifes profession on a work to residense visa, but as i have stated i am worried. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jueinnz Jan 11th 2007 6:15 pm

Re: are the nz officials ok about applicants with police records.

Originally Posted by true red (Post 4271702)
i am looking for some info with regards to my appliction for a work to residence visa. My wife and i are planning to move to nz, but i am a quite worried about my police record. i foolishly and regretably obtained it during my misspent youth. and now i am worried it will scupper my families chances of a new life. I wondererd if anyone could tell me what the nz immigrations stance is on records. I am a time served plumber and my wife is a midwife we are hoping to get to nz through my wifes profession on a work to residense visa, but as i have stated i am worried. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I think they will over look it if it is "Spent" but I don't know how long ago it has to be, sorry

Littletoe Jan 12th 2007 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by true red (Post 4271702)

You could always call the embassy in London to discuss it, or email them through their website (they're really helpful). You didn't say what the record was for, presumably it wasn't a 'serious' offence? Even if they said 'no' because of it, you can always appeal. I wouldn't worry about it until you've spoken to immigration. Good luck!

donnaf Jan 12th 2007 1:25 pm

Hi,
there was a thread on the forum a while ago about this. My OH, Danny.F, had to disclose a police record from his misspent youth (before I put him on the straight and narrow) and it hasn't caused us any problems as we are leaving in 10:scared: days for NZ. He was advised to write an accompanying letter with our application saying he had been a naughty boy, that he had repented and was now a mature(?) and sensible(?) family man and he would never,ever do anything naughty again, so help him God.
Casting my mind back to the thread I think the majority of problems were caused when people hadn't disclosed rather than the other way round. I'm assuming it also depends on what you did!
I'm sure you will be OK!

true red Jan 12th 2007 1:27 pm

Thanks for your input littletoe, the offences were not of a serious nature and no violent or drug crimes were carried out. So i will contact the embassy and see what happens.

true red Jan 12th 2007 1:33 pm

Thanks donnaf you have eased my fears a little, and i can assure you i have been a good lad for ages and ages. And i will never be bad again, i promise.

donnaf Jan 12th 2007 1:34 pm

Look at Caitlin206's thread started 17th August for more info (I know, I must have better things to do but - actually, I haven't):)
Good Luck!

Littletoe Jan 12th 2007 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by true red (Post 4275250)
Thanks donnaf you have eased my fears a little, and i can assure you i have been a good lad for ages and ages. And i will never be bad again, i promise.

All else fails, you could always locate to Australia, I hear you need a police record to get in there! ;)

No seriously, good luck!

thebears Jan 12th 2007 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Littletoe (Post 4275259)
All else fails, you could always locate to Australia, I hear you need a police record to get in there! ;)

No seriously, good luck!

Someone posted this question about a year ago and the response seemed to be that if the fine/period of incarceration was finished there is no issue.

Again why should you be held back for something you did in your youth especially where is appears you now look back on it with regret.

Good luck

Kiwi

true red Jan 12th 2007 9:55 pm

Thanks bear, the info i am getting seems to be quite positive. So lets hope the people at nz house realise i am not a bad lad anymore.

SecretSquirrel Jan 12th 2007 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by Littletoe (Post 4275259)

No seriously, good luck!

:D very drole!!

true red Jan 12th 2007 10:38 pm

Now now secret squirrel dont get your acorns in a twist, i thought it was quite funny. But you cant please everyone!:)

danny.f Jan 14th 2007 1:45 am

If you've only got,say,8 days to go,can you be really,really naughty,rob banks and drown rapists,and then bugger off before your sentence is due?:D

StevieB Jan 14th 2007 7:57 am

Originally Posted by danny.f (Post 4281576)
If you've only got,say,8 days to go,can you be really,really naughty,rob banks and drown rapists,and then bugger off before your sentence is due?:D

No cos the Post Office will have your redirection of mail address so they'll know where you are and post you a fine or summons. Actually, what they might do is post your address to Mr Barrymore and get him to sort you out...he only lives down the road you know!!:scared:

poppets Jan 14th 2007 8:21 am

Originally Posted by StevieB (Post 4282059)
No cos the Post Office will have your redirection of mail address so they'll know where you are and post you a fine or summons. Actually, what they might do is post your address to Mr Barrymore and get him to sort you out...he only lives down the road you know!!:scared:

just don't go in the swimming pool :scared: