NZ Obsession

Old Aug 4th 2005, 12:52 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ Obsession

Originally Posted by Biddy
Cheery here isn't it?

On a happier note I saw a great sign today that I kicked myself that I didn't stop to photo

Big Orange sign entering Rodney district nth of AKL:

No road fatalities in Rodney this month followed by an equally big smiley
we saw lots of them too.
In the Coromandel there are a series of signs that tell a story, starting with "You're 10 minutes late...." its a very strong message. We saw a fair amount of cars right up the embankments wrapped round a tree. Quite scarey.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 1:37 pm

SteveNZ has a brilliant futureSteveNZ has a brilliant futureSteveNZ has a brilliant futureSteveNZ has a brilliant futureSteveNZ has a brilliant futureSteveNZ has a brilliant future

That stretch of road - State Highway (SH) 2 between SH1 @ the bottome of the bombays, and the turn-off towards Thames/Coromandel is one of - if not THE - most deadly road in NZ. The road is quiet, hilly, windy, FAST, isolated and NARROW - much of it in a three lane configuration well known for death-traps (middle lane able to be used to overtake both ways)

It has recently been changed a little to make more of it no-overtaking - but really needs to be a dual carriageway. I travel it regularly to visit my sister in Paeroa.

It is true that there are a lot of bad drivers, but to be perfectly honest - I reall0y think that france or Italy are MUCH more scary places for traffic. Don't even get me started on Eastern Europe. I have been to Romania many times - and even the locals there pray before every car journey because the roads are so dangerous!

ANYONE coming to NZ - DEFINATELY ask someone about the "left hand turn" rule - it's stupid, dumb, pointless and downright dangerous - and that is ONLY if you do EVERYTHING RIGHT!!!

I am not racist at all - and any new migrant coming to NZ will hear lots opf kiwi's bitching about "asian" (chinese, korean, malaysian etc NOT indian/pakistani) drivers and their bad habits. I have to admit to being sceptical of this (and I also know a few asians whose driving is great) - but - it is a very easy stereotype to latch onto - there are so many bad drivers from eastern asia out there on NZ roads - it's really hard to not get worried about every Mazda, or toyota supra with soft toys in the window! (sorry!)

Steve

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
we saw lots of them too.
In the Coromandel there are a series of signs that tell a story, starting with "You're 10 minutes late...." its a very strong message. We saw a fair amount of cars right up the embankments wrapped round a tree. Quite scarey.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 1:46 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SteveNZ
ANYONE coming to NZ - DEFINATELY ask someone about the "left hand turn" rule - it's stupid, dumb, pointless and downright dangerous - and that is ONLY if you do EVERYTHING RIGHT!!!

Steve
Hi Steve

I've seen this "left hand turn" rule mentioned a few times before but never a full explanation of what it means...will you be kind enough to do the honours please and explain it for me (and anyone else who doesn't know what it entails)...
Old Aug 4th 2005, 2:12 pm

SteveNZ has a brilliant futureSteveNZ has a brilliant futureSteveNZ has a brilliant futureSteveNZ has a brilliant futureSteveNZ has a brilliant futureSteveNZ has a brilliant future

Ok - here goes.....

Image I'm driving down the road and I want to turn into a side street on my LEFT. In the UK - there's no problem - I have right of way.

In NZ - before you turn anywhere - you need to "give way to traffic from the right" - this INCLUDES traffic in the opposite carriageway wanting to turn (right) into the road you are wanting to turn left into.

So - I'm wanting to turn left - I can't just do it - I have to check there's nobody coming towards me that wants to turn first - forget and they'll maybe crash into you and it'll be your fault!

It's kinda like a legal obligation to be nice to the cars coming towards you!!!

With me so far - here's the kicker....

If I'm coming up behind someone waiting to turn left (without wanting to turn myself)- whether or not there's anything coming towards wants to turn - I am still allowed to pass the turning car - and I have right of way (not turning so I don;t have to give way to anyone)

This leads to a situation where people don;t know whether to turn or not and whether someone is going to turn in front of them - it can be crazy!!!!!

Best tip I have picked up - is to ignore the rule completely if there's traffic behind you and they are going at a reasonable speed - since they'd have to pass you anyway - meaning the other guy should give way?

Confused? Wait till you try it (or forget the first time!)

The only other car thing that will annoy you - is that almost all cars a japenese - this means the indicators are on the "correct" side for a right hand driver (ie you can indicate and change gear) - unlike european cars where the instrument clusters are *really* designed for the left-hooker euro market. - this normally means you spend a fair few weeks/months/years turning on the wipers to go round a bend and indicating when it starts to rain!!!!

you've been warned!!!

good luck!!!

Steve

Originally Posted by Pinkie Pie
Hi Steve

I've seen this "left hand turn" rule mentioned a few times before but never a full explanation of what it means...will you be kind enough to do the honours please and explain it for me (and anyone else who doesn't know what it entails)...
Old Aug 4th 2005, 2:25 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute

There are times when I seriously wish I'd never asked things!!! :scared: :scared: :scared:

That is just simply crackers!!! I get the first bit where you have to let someone coming the other way turn across your path if going into the same road (bit like holding the door open for someone really and waving them in before you!!)

However, I can't get my head round the second bit...if you are coming up behind someone waiting to turn left you can overtake them but there may be a car turning from the right hand lane across your path as the car in front of you has to give way - Yes?? is that right?? Surely then it is up to the driver in the right hand lane to not cross over??? Are you saying that they sometimes don't wait and cross over in front of you anyway...

What happens if you want to turn right then Steve - do the same rules apply i.e. you can cut across the path of the cars in the other lane if they are indicating to turn left down the same road that you are turning right into???

Oh dear Lord...will you all come visit me in hospital??? :scared: :scared:
Old Aug 4th 2005, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

Panda_Pops has a brilliant futurePanda_Pops has a brilliant futurePanda_Pops has a brilliant futurePanda_Pops has a brilliant futurePanda_Pops has a brilliant futurePanda_Pops has a brilliant futurePanda_Pops has a brilliant future

A lot of people say that NZ is a bit like the UK 20 or 30 years ago.

It does strike me that they may have a point.

My Dad has been a biker for 45 years and I remember him tutting into his MCN about another death which was a direct result of higher powered 250cc two-stroke machines being available to learner riders - this was about 1982-83.

We now have a three-tiered test process and much tougher restrictions on what can be ridden by a learner.

I guess NZ is just going through the 80s at the moment
Old Aug 4th 2005, 3:40 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

We found the turning thing a little tricky to begin with - imagine - you know all about this rule, and you're driving a japanese hire car - anything out of the ordinary and you panic a little and instead of indicating to give anyone the slightest idea of what you're trying to do ........yes!! You put on your windscreen wipers! Like thats going to help. I did it all the time and just as I had mastered this we got a new hire car and the indicators/wipers were the other way round
Old Aug 4th 2005, 4:10 pm
Don't let me get me....

We found the turning thing a little tricky to begin with - imagine - you know all about this rule, and you're driving a japanese hire car - anything out of the ordinary and you panic a little and instead of indicating to give anyone the slightest idea of what you're trying to do ........yes!! You put on your windscreen wipers! Like thats going to help. I did it all the time and just as I had mastered this we got a new hire car and the indicators/wipers were the other way round
So relieved that I wasn't following behind you then Pixi-dust - I think my nerves would have been in tatters...
Old Aug 4th 2005, 8:38 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Ha Ha! I've spent the last couple of days with VERY clean windows!

No probs with the left hand turn rule yet though
Old Aug 4th 2005, 9:59 pm
livewire

Originally Posted by dustinthewind
Have to agree with both of these points which thankfully are now being addressed by the powers that be.

15 has been the legal driving age in NZ for as long as I can remember but back in our day we didnt have the high powered cars the young ones have access to today. There are moves to raise it to 16 which is a step in the right direction but realistically how much difference is a year going to make to some of these young fools?
Re the insurance thing I have never understood why it hasnt been compulsory here but have heard whispers that they are now thinking of making it law to have at least third party coverage. Not great I know but its a start & would at least cover the other drivers car which has to be good in some ways.
Personally I blame a lot of the parents for a lot of this trouble. Yeah I know a lot of you are already moaning with that statement but I know I have never allowed my kids to drive without insurance & they most definately did not & would not have access to high powered cars while they are living under my roof. I have no control over them when they leave home but while they are living in my home I set rules & make sure they are obeyed. Sounds hard I know but its the only way I know to keep them safe.
Same thing goes for those out there driving rust buckets....to me its like sending them out in a death trap. Kids think they are invincible but for some its time the parents stood up & made more responsible decisions for their kids while they still can!
I'd wholeheartedly support any change in driving age and a move towards compulsory insurance.

Yes the parents must accept some responsibility, when my kids are old enough to drive I will apply the same rules as you do. What still worries me though is that my kids will get into their mates' cars without me knowing. So, I'm quite prepared to be a taxi service for the next 6 years if necessary if I means I can keep them safe.

Old Aug 5th 2005, 10:56 am
Just Joined

dustinthewind is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by livewire
I'd wholeheartedly support any change in driving age and a move towards compulsory insurance.

Yes the parents must accept some responsibility, when my kids are old enough to drive I will apply the same rules as you do. What still worries me though is that my kids will get into their mates' cars without me knowing. So, I'm quite prepared to be a taxi service for the next 6 years if necessary if I means I can keep them safe.

Grinning about your mention of being prepared to be a taxi driver for the next 6 years The missus & I did exactly the same thing when our kids were still at home. It gave us a lot of sleepless nights but also a lot of peace too knowing they werent getting in their mates cars late at night. Best be prepared for some very late night calls saying sorry Ive overspent & cant afford a cab home, any chance of a ride??? Also will add that you should be prepared to be amazed at the sights you will see during the wee small hours. My missus couldnt believe how many people were out at that time of the night & always felt like the town was more crowded then than during normal shopping hours
Old Aug 5th 2005, 12:23 pm
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Panda_Pops
A lot of people say that NZ is a bit like the UK 20 or 30 years ago.

It does strike me that they may have a point.

My Dad has been a biker for 45 years and I remember him tutting into his MCN about another death which was a direct result of higher powered 250cc two-stroke machines being available to learner riders - this was about 1982-83.

We now have a three-tiered test process and much tougher restrictions on what can be ridden by a learner.

I guess NZ is just going through the 80s at the moment
I have heard that quote and after visiting IMHO its rubbish...its more like the USA than the UK....but not much, its actually like......well.......no where i have been before.
Old Aug 6th 2005, 5:10 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biddy
Ha Ha! I've spent the last couple of days with VERY clean windows!

No probs with the left hand turn rule yet though
Well dont feel too bad about the clean windows Mike, I do exactly the same thing everytime I get behind the wheel when Im home. Everythings on the opposite side over here & it amuses my family no end to see me flick the wipers on instead of the indicator.

As for the left hand rule, its the most pathetic stupid ridiculous road rule they have ever introduced in NZ. It never has & never will make sense to me.
Old Aug 7th 2005, 4:38 am
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

That give way to the right rule is nuts but you can cope with it if you are concentrating HARD - once you start thinking about what to cook for tea, or if the dog needs de-fleaing or the 8 billion other things you think about when driving, it all goes to pot - I have been tooted several times for not giving way.

The one thing that cracks me up about NZ-ers is their complete incapability to understand how to indicate when using a roundabout properly - new rules were recently bought in to get people to indicate right when they were taking a right exit upon entering a roundabout - simple huh? Nope! Confusion has reigned with people turning into their exit with their right hand indicator still going - mind you at least they are indicating - loads more don't bother to give you the fun of guessing what they intend to do.

Kiwis also NEVER give way if you are backing out of a space (or 'park' - yuck) in a car park - they will actually s-q-e-e-e-z-e through the smallest of gaps rather than let you pull fullly out and be on your way.

I am praying that they put the driving age up before my little girl gets to 15 - I was driving at 17 in the UK and was frankly dangerous because of my cocky youthfulness - at least I was restricted in the damage I could do as I only had a Ford Fiesta 1.5 to burn rubber in! I see these kids in these souped up cars and I feel sick with worry for them.
Old Aug 7th 2005, 6:12 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

I was just learning to drive inNZ when they brought the new rule in. Actually, it made sense at the time, because it stopped all the traffic that was waiting to turn right from blocking the road. Thing is, most roads are wide enough, to make it a nonsense because the straight on traffic can overtake the left turners. It would actually make more sense inthe UK with narrow roads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.