Reload this Page >

nz nursing council competence assessment

nz nursing council competence assessment

Old Jul 18th 2013, 6:19 pm
Just Joined

nismo27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default nz nursing council competence assessment

Hello to all,

I just did my overseas Registered Nurse competence course in New Zealand. I am wondering how would nursing council assess my competency. I have met competency on almost all the 4 domains in the competency except for one sub domain. which is 4.3 (participates in quality improvement activities to monitor and improve standards of nursing) which I did not get the opportunity to encounter in the entire duration of the hospital experience due to the short time span of the course.Would this affect my competency assessment and my application for registration? cheers!!
Old Jul 20th 2013, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: nz nursing council competence assessment

Originally Posted by nismo27
Hello to all,

I just did my overseas Registered Nurse competence course in New Zealand. I am wondering how would nursing council assess my competency. I have met competency on almost all the 4 domains in the competency except for one sub domain. which is 4.3 (participates in quality improvement activities to monitor and improve standards of nursing) which I did not get the opportunity to encounter in the entire duration of the hospital experience due to the short time span of the course.Would this affect my competency assessment and my application for registration? cheers!!

Hi
It may be returned by NCNZ to you or the preceptor where you did your CAP with a request for further information. You need to demonstrate that you have met all 4 domains. If you did not have an opportunity to demonstrate competency 4.3 you could have given an example of how you could have met this... this could have been by reading the policies and procedures at the clinical placement and looking for research relevant to the policy area. You could then compare and do a short write up or discuss this with your preceptor. This could be as simple as examining how they use name bands, disposable equipment or their wound care policy.

Have a look at the Competencies for Registered Nurses on page 30, as there are some "indicators" that may help you.

Hope this information helps. If you have any other questions just post on here.

Gill