British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   NZ North Island - holiday suggestions ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/nz-north-island-holiday-suggestions-630466/)

haggis supper Sep 13th 2009 12:05 am

NZ North Island - holiday suggestions ?

Mrs Haggis is dragging me back to NZ in January next year for 10 days, flying into and back out of Auckland. I'm not keen on trying to rush around the entire North Island though and so would greatly appreciate any ideas, locations, trips, tours or hotels for myself, Mrs Haggis and the kids (aged 9 and 7).

Thanks awfully.
Col

SamSi Sep 13th 2009 1:10 am

Re: NZ North Island - holiday suggestions ?

If you're on limited time my suggestions would be - Taupo (heaps to see /do eg fishing, mountain biking, bungee), short drive across to Rotorua (have a swim in the Polynesian hot pools) head up to the Bay of Plenty (excellent beaches, try surfing at the Mount) bypass Auckland and head up North to Bay of Islands (catch the car ferry over to Russell, fishing, dolphin watching) and then drive down to Auckland for your last couple of days.

Dorothy Sep 13th 2009 2:16 am

Originally Posted by haggis supper (Post 7926649)
Mrs Haggis is dragging me back to NZ in January next year for 10 days, flying into and back out of Auckland. I'm not keen on trying to rush around the entire North Island though and so would greatly appreciate any ideas, locations, trips, tours or hotels for myself, Mrs Haggis and the kids (aged 9 and 7).

Thanks awfully.
Col

I'll move this to the NZ section, Haggis. You may get some better ideas from the people who live there.

Am Loolah Sep 13th 2009 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 7926820)
I'll move this to the NZ section, Haggis. You may get some better ideas from the people who live there.

And I have moved it to the main forum!:thumbup:

I agree with SamSi some good suggestions there.:thumbup:

BEVS Sep 13th 2009 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by SamSi (Post 7926750)
If you're on limited time my suggestions would be - Taupo (heaps to see /do eg fishing, mountain biking, bungee), short drive across to Rotorua (have a swim in the Polynesian hot pools) head up to the Bay of Plenty (excellent beaches, try surfing at the Mount) bypass Auckland and head up North to Bay of Islands (catch the car ferry over to Russell, fishing, dolphin watching) and then drive down to Auckland for your last couple of days.

^^ Wot SamSi suggested. :thumbup:

Matewx Sep 14th 2009 5:53 am

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 7928378)
And I have moved it to the main forum!:thumbup:

I agree with SamSi some good suggestions there.:thumbup:

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 7928668)
^^ Wot SamSi suggested. :thumbup:

Dear Mods...
How about real suggestions??
Am interested too... Got family coming over in December/January for 10 days... gotta start planning...

SamSi Sep 14th 2009 9:16 am

Originally Posted by Matewx (Post 7929305)
Dear Mods...
Am interested too... Got family coming over in December/January for 10 days... gotta start planning...

Umm, not sure what you mean but I can assure you that these are 'real' suggestions :)

Am Loolah Sep 14th 2009 9:19 am

Originally Posted by SamSi (Post 7926750)

Taupo - the obvious lake attractions, fishing, water skiing, jet boating, pottering etc! Haze and Steve would be the people to ask about specifics. Taupo Activities
Rotorua - Gondola up to the top, luge down, lunch overlooking the lake. Zorbing, Tamaki Maori Village is fabulous and a really nice looking hotel (well to me!) is the Princes Gate Hotel. Right by Government Gardens which means you can have a lovely stroll round the old bath house which is now the museum. The Polynesian Spa looks lovely and is on my list of things to do. Tomsk, Steelblue and Gill and Rob are a font of knowledge on Rotorua.:thumbup:
Bay of Plenty - Mount Maunganui is a must, walk up it or round the base track then have brunch in one of the lovely cafes opposite Mount main beach. (I like Sidetrack best.:thumbup:) Then how about a dolphin safari from Pilot Bay or a ferry ride over to Matakana Island from Sulpher Point. Round your day off with a dip in the Hot Salt Water Pools at the base of the Mount followed by a slap up meal at Latitude 37 or Astrolab on Maunganui Road in Downtown Mount. You can camp at the site at the base of the Mount, practically on the beach or stay in Oceanside Resort, or have a look at my classifieds for some alternative suggestions!:cool:
Bay of Islands will be a good 4.5 hour drive through some beautiful countryside - you could meander to the Coromandel for a night en-route if you wanted to break it up. We loved Paihia and the Waitangi Treaty House was very interesting. Pixie Dust is your contact for there and has a beautiful looking cottage to rent too.:thumbsup:

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by Matewx (Post 7929305)
Dear Mods...

Jeez ... is it time of the month of something?:lol: I'll make sure I'm away if you lot head this way.:p

Am Loolah Sep 14th 2009 9:20 am

Originally Posted by SamSi (Post 7929681)
Umm, not sure what you mean but I can assure you that these are 'real' suggestions :)

:lol: It's ok ... he's French! Say no more!:rofl::sneaky:

Matewx Sep 14th 2009 9:25 am

Originally Posted by SamSi (Post 7929681)

LOL SamSi... Am meaning that it's time our NZ Mods (especially Am Loolah!!)... Guess wot?? She rised to the occasion! (who would have thought!)

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 7929692)
:lol: It's ok ... he's French! Say no more!:rofl::sneaky:

What d'you mean?? You dont want me to start chasing you round the forum now do you??:sneaky:

Am Loolah Sep 14th 2009 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Matewx (Post 7929706)
LOL SamSi... Am meaning that it's time our NZ Mods (especially Am Loolah!!)... Guess wot?? She rised to the occasion! (who would have thought!)

What d'you mean?? You dont want me to start chasing you round the forum now do you??:sneaky:

What's more have added every bloody link too ... :rolleyes:

Am Loolah Sep 14th 2009 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 7929730)

Sorry folks, don't know what happened there - the thread got closed!:ohmy: Must have been exhausted from all MY LINKS!:sneaky:

Matewx Sep 14th 2009 9:50 am

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 7929730)

Thanks hun :wub:
Have one on the house... :drinkwine:

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 7929748)
Sorry folks, don't know what happened there - the thread got closed!:ohmy: Must have been exhausted from all MY LINKS!:sneaky:

Blond moment me thinks!!

haggis supper Sep 14th 2009 9:57 am

Folks,

Many thanks for your comments, especially SamSi and Am Loolah.

I'll get working on it !

Cheers
Col

Margaret Parkinson Sep 14th 2009 3:00 pm

1 Attachment(s)
You might like to read this just miss out on the boring bits but there are few suggestions of what you might like to do.

Attachment 85210