Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ NEWBIES READ THIS

NZ NEWBIES READ THIS

Old Apr 16th 2011, 11:22 am
Just Joined

McZac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NZ NEWBIES READ THIS

I see a lot of posts from people complaining about what they find when they get to New Zealand well I would like this to an answer to their criticisms & advice to those planning to go to New Zealand.

I lived there for 8 years & will go back each summer to escape the European Winter,,,,,, READ ON.

I'll keep this as short as I can, I don't like a lot of what I see in NZ any more than you do, but here's some good advice from an older well travelled guy, it's up to you what you do with it.
YES NZ'ers do suffer Tall Poppy syndrome & they are hard to get to know but when you do there are some great people there just like anywhere else.
YES the weather sux for most of the year but not as bad as UK
YES it can be expensive to live there IF you spend like there is no tomorrow on thing you don't really need.
YES there is an out flow to Australia & NZ is looked at as the back door to Aust.
YES food is priced way up there with most of Europe & salaries can be less depending on what you do, but I see people here in Spain & Cyprus working for about half what they would get in NZ thank heavens musicians get more in EU than they do in NZ.
YES there is a sort of reverse Racism alive & well in NZ, mostly from idiots that actually believe the rumour that the country belongs to the Indigenous people those that know better do well & are fantastic friends & are the majority.
YES there is a problem with Health care costs & the public system is under strain that's because people get sick, but then again don't they wherever they live, at least the doctors speak & understand English.
YES NZ is lacking in any real culture & is a football culture with little or no regard for art or music & there are no old buildings, SO what, when you get tired of the lack of anything HOP on a plane & go visit somewhere that has all of the things you want to see & hear there heaps out there.
YES Living there can be tough for young Families on lower income, it was in Australia in 1960 & nothings changed
YES ALL OF THE ABOVE PROBLEMS EXIST, as they do all or (98%) of the 1st world countries to some degree or other

YES the glossy picture that the DEPT of IMMIGRATION NZ put up to get new people is mostly B***SH*T, bucket full.

BUT then, Do you believe a posters or a promo put out by any organisation or company trying to sell a product to you no matter what it is.

OR Do you really believe that eating 90% less fat butter makes you thinner or healthier or that Hair care product really make you look younger?

IF you do call me I have a bridge in Sydney I want to sell to you.

WAKE up it's just a country full of working people with all the same problems you are leaving behind you when you decide to come over for a new life.

I have Lived in UK 10 Australia 30 years SA 10 France 2 Cyprus 1 Spain 1 Tenerife 1 USA 1 & have travelled to at least 20 other countries & they are all the same THE world has changed, it is all BIG Mac's-ville wherever you go these days & depending on where you are & what you are going to do there it's tough to begin with, unless you have bucket of cash.

MY ADVICE TO NEWBIE'S thinking of emigrating to any country where no one gives a sh*T as to what you were or did before IS:
1. STOP whinging & expecting everything to be put on your plate for free, you have got to earn it.
2. CHANGE your attitudes when you change countries, or you will not survive
3. ADOPT a pioneering adventure attitude & knuckle down to hard work & you will succeed & prosper in of ANY environment, weather it be 1st 2nd or 3rd word, that's the way it has always been & will be forever.

Then when you have earned a voice you can change the country by voting & you can make things change for the better.

THAT'S LIFE.

Last edited by McZac; Apr 16th 2011 at 12:29 pm.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ NEWBIES READ THIS

My OH has been living and working (as a carpenter) in ChCh since Oct last year. Last week he put in 63 hours. He sent me a text earlier on this month saying 'I live by the Pacific Ocean, see snow capped mountains every day, meet happy kind people everywhere, driving about with no jams, empty roads, tons of sport BRILL'.

Old Apr 16th 2011, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

Tell him from me GOOD on ya Mate "ENJOY' we are here for a good time not a long time.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by McZac
Tell him from me GOOD on ya Mate "ENJOY' we are here for a good time not a long time.
Will do and thanks for the post - makes good reading and IMO good sense
Old Apr 16th 2011, 10:50 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: NZ NEWBIES READ THIS

Hey McZac were you working as a muso in NZ? I did that as my full time job for a year, (as I couldn't get any other work.....). I played pubs, working mens clubs etc for $350 for 4 hours, weddings, 21sts etc were about $500.

Sounds great money but when you have expenses etc taken in to account I was making $100 per week!!!!

Since I left NZ 13 years ago I have hardly picked up my guitar, sick of playing "The Gambler" and "Delta Dawn"!

BB
Old Apr 16th 2011, 10:59 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

I see a lot of posts from people complaining about what they find when they get to New Zealand well I would like this to an answer to their criticisms & advice to those planning to go to New Zealand.

I lived there for 8 years & will go back each summer to escape the European Winter,,,,,, READ ON.

I'll keep this as short as I can, I don't like a lot of what I see in NZ any more than you do, but here's some good advice from an older well travelled guy, it's up to you what you do with it.
YES NZ'ers do suffer Tall Poppy syndrome & they are hard to get to know but when you do there are some great people there just like anywhere else.
YES it can be expensive to live there IF you spend like there is no tomorrow on thing you don't really need.
YES there is an out flow to Australia & NZ is looked at as the back door to Aust.
YES food is priced way up there with most of Europe & salaries can be less depending on what you do, but I see people here in Spain & Cyprus working for about half what they would get in NZ thank heavens musicians get more in EU than they do in NZ.
YES there is a sort of reverse Racism alive & well in NZ, mostly from idiots that actually believe the rumour that the country belongs to the Indigenous people those that know better do well & are fantastic friends & are the majority.
YES there is a problem with Health care costs & the public system is under strain that's because people get sick, but then again don't they wherever they live, at least the doctors speak & understand English.
YES NZ is lacking in any real culture & is a football culture with little or no regard for art or music & there are no old buildings, SO what, when you get tired of the lack of anything HOP on a plane & go visit somewhere that has all of the things you want to see & hear there heaps out there.
YES Living there can be tough for young Families on lower income, it was in Australia in 1960 & nothings changed
YES ALL OF THE ABOVE PROBLEMS EXIST, as they do all or (98%) of the 1st world countries to some degree or other

YES the glossy picture that the DEPT of IMMIGRATION NZ put up to get new people is mostly B***SH*T, bucket full.

BUT then, Do you believe a posters or a promo put out by any organisation or company trying to sell a product to you no matter what it is.

OR Do you really believe that eating 90% less fat butter makes you thinner or healthier or that Hair care product really make you look younger?

WAKE up it's just a country full of working people with all the same problems you are leaving behind you when you decide to come over for a new life.

I have Lived in UK 10 Australia 30 years SA 10 France 2 Cyprus 1 Spain 1 Tenerife 1 USA 1 & have travelled to at least 20 other countries & they are all the same THE world has changed, it is all BIG Mac's-ville wherever you go these days & depending on where you are & what you are going to do there it's tough to begin with, unless you have bucket of cash.

MY ADVICE TO NEWBIE'S thinking of emigrating to any country where no one gives a sh*T as to what you were or did before IS:
1. STOP whinging & expecting everything to be put on your plate for free, you have got to earn it.
3. ADOPT a pioneering adventure attitude & knuckle down to hard work & you will succeed & prosper in of ANY environment, weather it be 1st 2nd or 3rd word, that's the way it has always been & will be forever.

Then when you have earned a voice you can change the country by voting & you can make things change for the better.

THAT'S LIFE.
Good on ya!! tell it like it is.....thanks
Old Apr 17th 2011, 12:25 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Hey McZac were you working as a muso in NZ? I did that as my full time job for a year, (as I couldn't get any other work.....). I played pubs, working mens clubs etc for $350 for 4 hours, weddings, 21sts etc were about $500.

Sounds great money but when you have expenses etc taken in to account I was making $100 per week!!!!

Since I left NZ 13 years ago I have hardly picked up my guitar, sick of playing "The Gambler" and "Delta Dawn"!

BB
Hi Mate yes I have been a full time player now for 55 years & you would not see that kind of money now in NZ the ave gig was 90 to 150 tops & weddings what ever you could get for it but about 250 would be considered good bread, I dont work there I just wont carry 10 grand's worth of gear to any gig for less that 250 for 3 hours so you are missing nothing.
Old Apr 17th 2011, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

Mrbiker is an unknown quantity at this point

Well said...........
Life is what you make it, if you want something go and get it,
If you want to move to NZ and have NEW experiences then live for what you have got, not what you haven't.
There is more to life than XYZ, as long as you have a roof over your head, food on the table and clothes on your back you are better off than 50% of the people in the world....
Positive things happen to positive people...we all have good n bad days, there is good n bad in all walks of life.....
Smile and the world smiles back
Old Apr 17th 2011, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mrbiker
Well said...........
Life is what you make it, if you want something go and get it,
If you want to move to NZ and have NEW experiences then live for what you have got, not what you haven't.
There is more to life than XYZ, as long as you have a roof over your head, food on the table and clothes on your back you are better off than 50% of the people in the world....
Positive things happen to positive people...we all have good n bad days, there is good n bad in all walks of life.....
Smile and the world smiles back
* Yep you are right I have lived & seen it all I see filthy rich people as miserable as hell & poor people happy as hell so the facts are plain you are who you are Rich or Poor.

I have lived a millionaires life style on a middle class income it works all you need is food music & friends around that feel the same & you have it made.

Things are easily stolen & lost but good fun times last forever, the problems that most people have is that they spend more on things than life I see it all over the world & it is one of the main reasons they have no life experiences, they spend most of their life & money protecting THINGS, what a waste of life.
Old Apr 17th 2011, 4:26 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice.... I was attacked by a SA Boerboel in a pretty little Warwickshire village and my hand was in a bit of a mess.(nice animal for a little village cottage! ) Was taken to A&E where I had an Indian doctor attend my wounds. He was speaking to me but I could not understand one word as his English was so bad. Luckily a young nurse helped me out with translation. When the doctor left the room the nurse said "Don't worry it wasn't you, none of us can understand him"........why do so many patients get prescribed with the wrong medicines......
Old Apr 17th 2011, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Stormer999

Nice.... I was attacked by a SA Boerboel in a pretty little Warwickshire village and my hand was in a bit of a mess.(nice animal for a little village cottage! ) Was taken to A&E where I had an Indian doctor attend my wounds. He was speaking to me but I could not understand one word as his English was so bad. Luckily a young nurse helped me out with translation. When the doctor left the room the nurse said "Don't worry it wasn't you, none of us can understand him"........why do so many patients get prescribed with the wrong medicines......
The British Med system is a bit like our the help line for anything,, out sourced to India, Timbuktu or where ever it is cheap to employ,, thats what happens when you mess up their country eventually they get back at you by messing up yours.

I took my son to have a mole on his hand removed in Sydney to an Indian that spoke perfect English & my boy was afraid so I stuck my hand on the table to show him it was safe & the bloody doctor cut my hand open before he woke up to the fact it was my hand, after he picked himself up from the floor he was taken to hospital THOSE slippery floors can cause all sorts of damage to your ribs, jaw & nose.

Neither I nor he laid charges, but 1 year later he left the country having bled the system & getting caught, he went to UK sh*t happens.

My still has the Mole & he kills himself laughing every time he tell of the day I took him to the Doctor.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 12:42 pm
Nottingham

josephine123 is an unknown quantity at this point

THAT'S LIFE.
thank you for the post and how very true you are mate. as you say it don't matter where you live but if you aint goner socialise, role your sleeves up and get in there your always goner be a miserable git "so to speak".

we are off to NZ to have the adventure of our life, breath it, smell it and best of all enjoy it.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 12:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by josephine123
thank you for the post and how very true you are mate. as you say it don't matter where you live but if you aint goner socialise, role your sleeves up and get in there your always goner be a miserable git "so to speak".

we are off to NZ to have the adventure of our life, breath it, smell it and best of all enjoy it.
I wish you & your family a great life & enjoy every second of the ride it is never a long one we are only here for a micro second in the scheme of things.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 12:54 pm
Nottingham

josephine123 is an unknown quantity at this point

I wish you & your family a great life & enjoy every second of the ride it is never a long one we are only here for a micro second in the scheme of things.
what a wise man you are

and thank you