Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ and my confusion :?

NZ and my confusion :?

Old Feb 23rd 2006, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

ballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really nice
Default NZ and my confusion :?

hi there

I am considering going to NZ with my partner on a working holiday visa, then getting PR while in the country.

If we do this and one of us applies for PR will the evidence we have gained while living together in the UK (2 years) still count towards getting pr with a defacto relationship? Or because we no longer live together as we are travelling the two years we lived together prior to going to NZ counts for nothing?

The only thing I am worried about is if we take the WHV route both of us will have to apply for PR when we get to NZ instead of just one of us.

Hope you can help guys
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 8:22 am
turkeytickler

Default Re: NZ and my confusion :?

Originally Posted by ballsrburning
hi there

I am considering going to NZ with my partner on a working holiday visa, then getting PR while in the country.

If we do this and one of us applies for PR will the evidence we have gained while living together in the UK (2 years) still count towards getting pr with a defacto relationship? Or because we no longer live together as we are travelling the two years we lived together prior to going to NZ counts for nothing?

The only thing I am worried about is if we take the WHV route both of us will have to apply for PR when we get to NZ instead of just one of us.

Hope you can help guys
I think mutual (provable) holiday time is a strong indicator to a defacto relationship so you should be ok.... i suggest keeping documentary evidence of your travels; airline tickets, hotel confirmations etc... NZIS also like photos..... (weirdos )

Old Feb 23rd 2006, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ballsrburning
hi there

Hope you can help guys
Are you travelling together? If not it would be harder to prove your defacto status IMO. Look at what the NZIS website says.

If you are travelling together then keep documented proof of the fact, take lots of photographs of the two of you together, itineraries, boarding passes, motel bookings (maybe booking in one name and paying with the other's credit card). also bring along lots of documentation of your time living together in the UK, such as utility bills etc.

Do you have a joint bank account? May be good to open one. also take out insurance policies and nomiinate each other as beneficiaries.

And even on a WHV, you will likely need to sign rent agreements, so do that in both names and keep evidence that you are together.
Old Feb 24th 2006, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

ballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really nice

yeah we are travelling together, we have all the documentation needed, from the 2 years living together in the UK, rent agreements, utility bills ,joint bank account etc. hopefully this will be enough just wanted to make surre this will still be valid when I eventually applied for PR while on a WHV.

Thanks for your response guys.