Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Is NZ the most dangerous Country

Is NZ the most dangerous Country

Old May 5th 2017, 8:51 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is NZ the most dangerous Country

for tourist, hiring vehicles, in the first 48hrs?

Singaporean tourists identified as victims of Canterbury crash - National - NZ Herald News

all to often
Old May 7th 2017, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

SSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is NZ the most dangerous Country

So sad, I wonder what happened. They obvs were used to driving on the same side of the road as us but they were young so was it inexperience or was it the driver who hit them?
All I have to add is that NZ drivers are sh*te on the road, corner cutting is my biggest gripe, waiting at a junction and some driver swoops into the road and looks at you like you are in the wrong just because you are there? Happens every time I am waiting to cross an intersection so I've decided NZ drivers are BAD, just really BAD drivers.
I tell my sons to drive safely when they go out and what I mean is look out for all the idiots on the road and preserve their own lives by just assuming that the rest of the county drive like lunatics taught in the paddocks.
Most of you including me will have gone through proper driving lessons you have paid for but here in NZ most folk have been taught by their bobby at school or their parents or just by their mates in the paddock. Kiwis like to think they're the most awesome drivers but in actual fact they are not.
Old May 7th 2017, 8:28 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

said they crossed the central line so seems to be their driver error.
and another on a straight stretch of road caused by crossing the central line, why?
Old May 8th 2017, 4:44 am
Welly bound

Munchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
said they crossed the central line so seems to be their driver error.
and another on a straight stretch of road caused by crossing the central line, why?
Who said they crossed the central line? They both died, so presumably someone else said that or they crossed the line to avoid something or someone.
Old May 8th 2017, 4:47 am
BE Enthusiast

LoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Munchkjn
Who said they crossed the central line? They both died, so presumably someone else said that or they crossed the line to avoid something or someone.
Pretty easy to tell by forensic analysis of the point of impact left on the road I would have thought.
Old May 8th 2017, 5:15 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Munchkjn
I thought that.
Old May 8th 2017, 5:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SSky
So sad, I wonder what happened. They obvs were used to driving on the same side of the road as us but they were young so was it inexperience or was it the driver who hit them?
All I have to add is that NZ drivers are sh*te on the road, corner cutting is my biggest gripe, waiting at a junction and some driver swoops into the road and looks at you like you are in the wrong just because you are there? Happens every time I am waiting to cross an intersection so I've decided NZ drivers are BAD, just really BAD drivers.
I tell my sons to drive safely when they go out and what I mean is look out for all the idiots on the road and preserve their own lives by just assuming that the rest of the county drive like lunatics taught in the paddocks.
Most of you including me will have gone through proper driving lessons you have paid for but here in NZ most folk have been taught by their bobby at school or their parents or just by their mates in the paddock. Kiwis like to think they're the most awesome drivers but in actual fact they are not.
In the last few weeks I have seen TWO professional Driving Instructor vehicles driving around Auckland's North Shore.

I don't think that I saw any in the eight previous years so maybe things will get better in a couple of generations' time, probably not before that.

My kitchen window looks out over a point in the street that turns ninety degrees one way then ninety degrees the other way shortly afterwards. The majority of drivers take a 'racing line' around those corners - too bad if something is coming the other way.
Old May 8th 2017, 8:18 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SSky
NZ most folk have been taught by ....... their parents or just by their mates in the paddock. Kiwis like to think they're the most awesome drivers but in actual fact they are not.
Yep, that's right. It's considered to be an embarrassment to have to pay for formal, proper driving lessons in NZ i.e. there was no one else to teach me. (You've pretty much admitted to having no friends or non driving parents etc etc.)

Yet another example of ingrained, generational appalling attitudes to driving.

Along with the road being a playground as far as they are concerned and driving is a game. That's all kiwi's think about why they are such awesome drivers.

Anyone remember the advert/public information shown in NZ from NZ Govt last year about restricted licence drivers being off the road by 10pm ? As part of the advert the driver pulls out in front of a truck causing the truck to brake sharply and sound it's horn. The girls in the car just shriek with delight because gee that was close. What's that - scream if you want to go faster ? What sort of message did that send out to drivers on a restricted licence ?
Old May 8th 2017, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

LoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of light

It's actually a lot harder to get a driver's licence now since the govt tightened up on the testing a few years ago.

Most folks will need at least a few lessons with a professional driving instructor to point out the areas where they will fail the test.

I think you are allowed only two slip-ups, three and you fail the test?

Examples from family member who failed three times:

didn't indicate when exiting roundabout but did when entering
waited too long at intersection before entering traffic flow
generally overcautious in driving technique

Pass-rate statistics from AA:

Driving Test Pass Rates - New Zealand Nationwide | AA New Zealand

Last edited by LoCarb; May 8th 2017 at 8:14 pm.
Old May 8th 2017, 10:18 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by LoCarb
Most folks will need at least a few lessons with a professional driving instructor to point out the areas where they will fail the test.
I'm rather hoping that came out a bit wrong.

Originally Posted by Snapshot
Anyone remember the advert/public information shown in NZ from NZ Govt last year about restricted licence drivers being off the road by 10pm ? As part of the advert the driver pulls out in front of a truck causing the truck to brake sharply and sound it's horn. The girls in the car just shriek with delight because gee that was close. What's that - scream if you want to go faster ? What sort of message did that send out to drivers on a restricted licence ?
I know. It was shocking.
Old May 9th 2017, 4:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BEVS
I'm rather hoping that came out a bit wrong.
No. I don't think so
Old May 10th 2017, 1:39 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I know. It was shocking.

But they can keep showing it because my friend plays the 'Dad' in that advert and he gets paid everytime it's shown. Don't like the actual ad itself but love my mate Ross and his wife (not the one in the ad!!!)