Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ Mortgage Question

NZ Mortgage Question

Old Aug 8th 2012, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

HeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to all
Default NZ Mortgage Question

Hi there

I've fallen in love with a house on the net.

While I would never buy without viewing and we don't arrive until end of the month, if we viewed it as soon as we arrived, does anyone know if you can get a mortgage straight off or do you have to show 3 month payslips (this is in the back of my mind, perhaps I read it somewhere).

We'll have a job contract and 20% deposit. What do you guys reckon?

Cheers for any help!

HeatherGirl
Old Aug 8th 2012, 8:01 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ Mortgage Question

Do you have PR? AFAIK only BNZ offer mortgages to non-PR individuals in NZ so best to check with potential providers...
Old Aug 8th 2012, 8:28 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

my husband was offered a mortgage after being here just 2mths but the bank had conditions in it. we would of had to have a bigger deposit and then prove that he had worked for the same company for 3mths.
we used HomeLoan Shop, Wellington, for our mortgage advise. maybe worth looking at their website and emailing them? there is no charge for their services.
also once you have seen a house you wish to purchase you can put conditions on the contract but I would say you need to be here and look around and get a feel for the area before jumping in with both feet
Old Aug 8th 2012, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

HeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to all

Hi there

Thanks for the info. We have residents visas so should be okay. You're right about needing to look around first Mrs Fychan - but the house I saw is a real cracker. Must be a catch!!!
Old Aug 9th 2012, 3:27 am
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
my husband was offered a mortgage after being here just 2mths but the bank had conditions in it. we would of had to have a bigger deposit and then prove that he had worked for the same company for 3mths.
we used HomeLoan Shop, Wellington, for our mortgage advise. maybe worth looking at their website and emailing them? there is no charge for their services.
also once you have seen a house you wish to purchase you can put conditions on the contract but I would say you need to be here and look around and get a feel for the area before jumping in with both feet
We were pretty much the same before we came over, had a good look on the net and lots of the houses looked fab, but its most def worth looking at the areas when you arrive, some of the houses we saw on line were "artistically photographed" not in a bad way but camera angles and lighting make a massive diff.

We were here 6 months and bought our own plot and built our own place, used the ASB who to be fair have been pretty good with us, but def wait till your over and get a real good feel for the place. One good thing here from the Highlands ...... no midgies .... wooohooo

Good Luck

Alan
Old Aug 9th 2012, 4:51 am

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alanmacc
One good thing here from the Highlands ...... no midgies .... wooohooo Alan
How comes you got no midgies?. I get those horrible black fly things that just look like a speak of dirt. Blinkin bites go mad for weeks. not nice
Old Aug 9th 2012, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HeatherGirl
Hi there

Thanks for the info. We have residents visas so should be okay. You're right about needing to look around first Mrs Fychan - but the house I saw is a real cracker. Must be a catch!!!
Can we see it please???
Old Aug 9th 2012, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

AlanMacc - you have made my husband's (AKA midgie attractant, if that's a word), night.

Genesis - I would show you guys it but you will probably point out all sorts of sensible problems. TBH, I doubt we'd be able to buy right off anyway but a girl can dream..............
Old Aug 10th 2012, 6:19 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
How comes you got no midgies?. I get those horrible black fly things that just look like a speck of dirt. Blinkin bites go mad for weeks. not nice
Do you mean sand flies? I think you do.

Give my midgies anyday. Those sandflies are very mean, nasty creatures that can find a chink in any armour.

Yes. I'd also like to view the cracker of a house. You never know HG. People in the area may be able to give you a bit of a low down. This is New Zealand after all.

edit....
You would be wise to get a Lim report and a written independent report on any property. You iz new. You need to do the best for you.

Perhaps start a thread about house buying in NZ.

Last edited by BEVS; Aug 10th 2012 at 6:22 am.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 6:23 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

and gawd, I hate sandflies. They just ain't at all nice.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by BEVS
and gawd, I hate sandflies. They just ain't at all nice.
thing is they only get me and my daughter, leave the smelly boys alone