Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

nz mobile phone prices

nz mobile phone prices

Old Apr 15th 2011, 2:36 am
Banned

paulie77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default nz mobile phone prices

WOW is all i need to say but ill also say i was checking them out on the main supplier websites and the contract/sim only charges are UNREAL!

like i pay £10pm for 500mins/unltd data&unltd texts and something close there was like $250pm im starting to think its maybe i little too backward a place for me to spend some time working there..discuss?! how can they get away with that does everybody use cb radios or what? theyre selling 60 minute deals!! loL
Old Apr 15th 2011, 3:16 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: nz mobile phone prices

Pardon? What's brought this on. Is it because it's Friday?

If you're interested in New Zealand perhaps the place to start is to find out whether you will be able to find work + visa to pay for the super expensive cell phone deals here.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 3:22 am
Banned

haha you dont sound happy about your bill either! you should start a forum action group!! dont you worry yourself about my work but if i decide to take it up and you need a job let me know as ill be the boss

think ill bring my own tariff and pay the roaming charges might work out a lot cheaper! ha
Old Apr 15th 2011, 3:56 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

haha you dont sound happy about your bill either
I don't have a bill. I don't have a cell phone .

dont you worry yourself about my work but if i decide to take it up and you need a job let me know as ill be the boss
Now that would tickle me and be an interesting experience for you as that's not for the faint hearted.

edit... A quick search threw up this thread.

Last edited by BEVS; Apr 15th 2011 at 4:05 am.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 4:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

They are an obcene rip off here, welcome to NZ
Old Apr 15th 2011, 4:51 am
Banned

yeah cheers, it really is disgusting its like nearly 10 times more thats crazy......and vodafone is a company we have here too without them prices, they blatantly oligopoly it and charging yous what they want between them, till the day the government does something? im sure it wasnt that bad in australia last time i was there.. guess its easier to do in nz less people to care but it is really morally bad it bugs me more that they dont even do much for the charge except put a few masts up, have some understaffed call centres&sponsor the cricket, money for nothing! that 'bestmate' number made me laugh ha what you need is tesco to land in new zealand undercut everybody and take over your world like here loL i vote with my pocket not cos im tight just because i hate being had over!! and i like to be able use my phone to talk on!!! not be scared of it!
Old Apr 15th 2011, 5:41 am
Forum Regular

NZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really nice

If you want to move to NZ you will unfortunately just have to deal with it or do without a phone
Old Apr 15th 2011, 5:44 am
Banned

think weve established that now thanks for the input...no worries ill offset it against your super cheap rent prices......or stick with plan A and head to brisbane instead
Old Apr 15th 2011, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

MattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
They are an obcene rip off here, welcome to NZ
Haven't we done this before? although the packages are a bit more expense how do you get to "obscene rip off"?

The Vodafone tariff I am on is on a par with the one i was on in the UK but instead of "unlimited data" which was actually 750mb a month I get 3gb!!
Old Apr 16th 2011, 2:18 am
Banned

well i pay £10 or....translated for you nz$20 for sim only 500mins/unlimited data/unlimited texts on tesco/02 (sim only means i buy my own phone so dont pay for it thru my monthly tariff)

closest deal i could find for the minutes i need on the nz voda site is.. nz$229.90 for 600mins/600texts/and it doesnt even mention data/1 bestmate

you do the maths i make that 11 times more expensive..for less (+100mins)

ive always known voda was a rip off but i looked at your other majors, they were no better

if im missing something please let me know thats why i posted this.....i got my own blackberry by the way so im only looking for sim only..

its the principle...hate being treated like a FOOL

nz$229=over £100 thats obscene.....here the biggest tarrif you can pay is half that and thats with unlimited everything even iphone+minutes!! people would laugh at you for spending over 100 pound a month on a phone bill you could get a second mortgage for that....you guys need an ombudsman badly
Old Apr 16th 2011, 2:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

84 c a min with vodaphone well overpriced i,m on 2 deg and it,s still 44c a min i used to pay 25 quid a month (18 month contract) in the UK for which i got a free 300 quid phone 300 mins any network more txt,s than i could ever use and if i went over my mins it was 5 pence a min

I feel well overcharged here we have just been to countdown didnt even fill the trolly and it was 325 bux , my choice to live here but if i wanna bitch about it i will

Neil
Old Apr 16th 2011, 2:37 am
Banned

moan away neil mate keeping your mouth shut will get you no where

it does kinda make sense..less people=higher prices....look at the bargains the usa get on everything cos of theyre numbers and demands....but i was shocked i mean mobiles are part of life now not a luxury..
Old Apr 16th 2011, 3:02 am
Banned

just been looking at the aus tarriffs.....seems they do it a bit different instead of mins/texts you get a total bundled spend capped value........but their top tarriff is only like $60pm for like $600 dollars worth of value........seems more like it should be, competititve/fairer and more real world! dont know whats goin on in nz
Old Apr 16th 2011, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

rushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to all

Originally Posted by paulie77
well i pay £10 or....translated for you nz$20 for sim only 500mins/unlimited data/unlimited texts on tesco/02 (sim only means i buy my own phone so dont pay for it thru my monthly tariff)

closest deal i could find for the minutes i need on the nz voda site is.. nz$229.90 for 600mins/600texts/and it doesnt even mention data/1 bestmate

you do the maths i make that 11 times more expensive..for less (+100mins)

ive always known voda was a rip off but i looked at your other majors, they were no better

if im missing something please let me know thats why i posted this.....i got my own blackberry by the way so im only looking for sim only..

its the principle...hate being treated like a FOOL

nz$229=over £100 thats obscene.....here the biggest tarrif you can pay is half that and thats with unlimited everything even iphone+minutes!! people would laugh at you for spending over 100 pound a month on a phone bill you could get a second mortgage for that....you guys need an ombudsman badly
2degrees are cheaper than vodafone, but still expensive compared to the UK.

That sounds like an unusually cheap deal with Tesco though. I can't see that rate on their website - did you take advantage of a special offer of some sorts?

Last edited by rushmere; Apr 16th 2011 at 3:07 am.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 4:18 am
Forum Regular

rushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to all

As a bit of an aside, you do need to take into account the significant differences in the UK and NZ markets (as you already hinted at in your earlier post). The UK population is somewhere over 60 million people, compared to around 4.4 million in NZ. However, the land area of both countries is very similar, so there will be far greater overheads per person in NZ to set up and maintain a mobile network than in the UK.

NZ mobiles could therefore never be as cheap as UK mobiles.

The fact that mobile rates in NZ are significantly higher than the UK does not in itself prove that NZ mobiles are a "rip off", and many more factors would have to be considered in order to establish a true value for money comparison. That's not saying I would defend the higher prices, just that I would personally want to know a lot more before jumping to any conclusions.

You just have to accept that the UK is a cheaper place to buy mobiles than NZ, but there are much bigger issues when deciding where you want to live! Just to cheer you up even more, landlines are quite a bit more expensive here too (possibly for exactly the same reasons).

....and wait until you see the price of beer

Last edited by rushmere; Apr 16th 2011 at 4:22 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.