Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Is NZ losing its appeal for Brits?

Is NZ losing its appeal for Brits?

Old Apr 24th 2008, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

darlo_tony is just really nicedarlo_tony is just really nicedarlo_tony is just really nicedarlo_tony is just really nicedarlo_tony is just really nicedarlo_tony is just really nicedarlo_tony is just really nicedarlo_tony is just really nice
Cool Re: Is NZ losing its appeal for Brits?

guilty as charged but i have not lived there for about 19 years

have you got plans to live in nz or are just going to do the travelling thing?

we are just starting the long process but hopefully fingers crossed should get there before children are too old if you have any tips about anythin nz please let me know
good to see i wasnt the only one to leave good old darlo!!!!
Old Apr 24th 2008, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

pumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud of
Default Re: Is NZ losing its appeal for Brits?

Hiya, I thought you had the misfortune of being from Darlaston in Walsall he he!! The locals call it Darlo! Was going to say pop round for a cuppa, but your'e not so never mind!!

Anyway, my OH has treated himself to a Plasma TV recently, so that is definitely being shipped out. Fingers crossed it works.

We are planning on bringing everything we can, as research suggests it can be quite expensive in NZ for certain things, and choice can be a bit limited. Especially shoes apparently!!!

Good luck with your application.

PL
Old Apr 24th 2008, 7:20 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

I left Darlo 19years ago as well to go to Uni and never went back, worked throughout England after that! Only go back to visit the parents.

I'm planning on moving to NZ, have had my EOI selected so playing the waiting game now. But I'm also having a bit of time off work, doing a bit of travelling and going to NZ for a while. Need to spend some time with the other half as well -it's a long story!

19 years ago seems like a popular time to leave the home town
Did you leave for university or just to live elsewhere, if so that would make us about the same age?

Sue
Old Apr 24th 2008, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

darlo_tony is just really nicedarlo_tony is just really nicedarlo_tony is just really nicedarlo_tony is just really nicedarlo_tony is just really nicedarlo_tony is just really nicedarlo_tony is just really nicedarlo_tony is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sue R
I left Darlo 19years ago as well to go to Uni and never went back, worked throughout England after that! Only go back to visit the parents.

I'm planning on moving to NZ, have had my EOI selected so playing the waiting game now. But I'm also having a bit of time off work, doing a bit of travelling and going to NZ for a while. Need to spend some time with the other half as well -it's a long story!

19 years ago seems like a popular time to leave the home town
Did you leave for university or just to live elsewhere, if so that would make us about the same age?

Sue
i was up and gone on my 18th down to the big smoke (reading) for some good paid work
im from rise carr originally
Old Apr 24th 2008, 7:58 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I started in Firth moor and ended up at Hummersknott [we turned posh]
and then QE sixth form. So our paths would probably not have crossed

How far on are you with the process?

Suppose I've hijacked the thread somewhat . Well looks like 2 Brits at least who are still thinking of going!
Old Apr 25th 2008, 10:04 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by darlo_tony
our main reason for the big move is the way of life it seems so much better for the kids to grow up in
I cannot begin to describe how positive this move has been for our daughter.

Today she was so excited and proud to be part of her Pippins troupe as they marched in the Anzac Day Parade in Titahi Bay. A good ole "lump in throat" time, for the memorial service, too. Daughter was starting to have some behavioural problems, too, but can honestly say that in the last couple of months these have all but disappeared. Parenting has become a joy!
Old Apr 25th 2008, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

It was the same for one of my twin sons, Maz, he never had any friends, but in NZ he has made several. Is it something thing in the water ?
NZ is kid heaven !
Old Apr 25th 2008, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

hello again
how old are your children? ours are 7 & 11 both girls i am worried a bit about taking them away from grandparents and what happens if when they get a bit older want to come back to england .Am i being silly or are these rational thoughts
Old Apr 25th 2008, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

BecksJS is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by darlo_tony
hello again
how old are your children? ours are 7 & 11 both girls i am worried a bit about taking them away from grandparents and what happens if when they get a bit older want to come back to england .Am i being silly or are these rational thoughts
Of course they will want to come back to the Uk, the great thing about kiwi kids is their sense of adventure! I think more get into sport, go to uni go away and do 'healthy' things, and taking a year off at Uni and doing their OE is one of them, but hey they come back, let them have a look and realize how much you sacrificed to give them the best place to live in the world!!
Becks x