Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ - kids' heaven or kids' hell?

NZ - kids' heaven or kids' hell?

Old Mar 11th 2009, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ - kids' heaven or kids' hell?

Originally Posted by Browner_
If they arent sporty, what are they gonna do then? Play drums?

I cant imagine my or my kids lives without being sporty.
And if I wasnt sporty or outdoorsy, I certainly wouldnt want to be here.
You can be outdoorsy (I am) but not particularly sporty (I'm not). I don't miss the retail therapy too much either and enjoy the relative lack of consumerism.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 4:03 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

In some towns it can be a problem and kids will still whine they are bored, sit on the playstation or computer, and traipse mud in the house.

In Timaru, we have a quite nice beach, but now they are older it can be a mission to get the kids to go there, unless they can txt a friend to meet them there, which drives me nuts. There is a sailing club, which two of my boys were involved in but have now given up. We have plenty of bushwalks and I have to insist my kids come and have some compulsory fresh air and exercise, or I will confiscate the playstation. We have two swimming pools and on occasions I say "Right, get your togs" (swimming attire) and I drop them at the pool for a couple of hours while I go grocery shopping, or I go with them and take a picnic. There is a movie theatre, and the kids mooch about and go to Subway or McD's.

They often get involved in sport clubs through school and you don't necessarily have to go each week, as the coach or another parent may be able to help with transport. My 4 kids get to do one or two out of school actiivities a year - they've done competition gymnastics, netball, softball, Tae kwondo, soccer, swimming, rugby, art classes, violin, drums, choir, basketball, badminton, skiiing. There is plenty to keep them occupied, but you still have to insist sometimes as many kids are inherently lazy, or become so as they grow up.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 4:46 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwinow
I have to insist my kids come and have some compulsory fresh air and exercise, or I will confiscate the playstation.
Same here...
Old Mar 11th 2009, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

Ref the clubs that are being mentioned, I just wondered how expensive they are to join? It costs £24 per term for swimming, £43 for guitar, £40 for ballet etc here and with two of them the costs mount up.
Cheers
Lorraine
Old Mar 11th 2009, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lorrielou
Ref the clubs that are being mentioned, I just wondered how expensive they are to join? It costs £24 per term for swimming, £43 for guitar, £40 for ballet etc here and with two of them the costs mount up.
Cheers
Lorraine
In Wellington, soccer season which runs April-August costs $50 and they provide kit except boots, cricket is more expensive and there is compulsory kit involved, weekly swimming lesson 30 mins, max 6 in class, costs NZ$120 for first child per term (4 terms a year) - you get a few dollars off for second child. So for swimming that's 3 terms @ 24 pounds = 72 pounds pa per child as opposed to 4 terms @$120 = $480pa per child.

For younger kids there's lots of 'free stuff' in the sense that the outdoors (bush, beaches) is free and there are well-maintained kids playgrounds in most neighbourhoods - usually with appropriate safety surfaces.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Same here...
I do that here just now so will be no different in NZ then

You can be outdoorsy (I am) but not particularly sporty (I'm not). I don't miss the retail therapy too much either and enjoy the relative lack of consumerism.
I am not sporty at all but like you enjoy being outdoors.

Originally Posted by Browner_
If they arent sporty, what are they gonna do then? Play drums?

I cant imagine my or my kids lives without being sporty.
And if I wasnt sporty or outdoorsy, I certainly wouldnt want to be here.
My youngest has a drum kit,the oldest a guitar but they also do judo,rugby,swimming,Boys Brigade,kayak club and canoeing.

One of the reasons we are going to NZ is for the outdoor life and the freedom to be children longer it will provide my boys.
Phyl x
Old Mar 11th 2009, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Because a 20 month old has no road safety awareness and some people here don't seem to realise that....they shouldn't be roaming around cars at all. But here everyone just calls these things tragic accidents - they are not neccessarily. Plural because there were two cases last year on the kapiti coast in the same Church car park on a Sunday morning..and everyone just said 'how tragic it was' not how dumb the adults were in not supervising such young kids properly around moving cars.
In the UK, such incidents do happen of course often with reversing farm tractors and the like.....it is a tragedy if the child breaks free from a carer's endeavour to keep them safe..it is less so and more negligence if the child is unsupervised in the first place. The younger the child the more negligent it is.
ACC cover seems to encourage a laxer attitude to safety..there is less traffic here but it only takes one single car to injure/kill a kid. And yes on your own driveway you should be taking extra precautions when your kids are young.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/2080...n-his-driveway
Old Mar 13th 2009, 1:34 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fooferfish
UK kids.....

I think kids in UK have had far to much, all those bloody theme parks, zoo's soft play areas and so on and on, and when they get over here, they dont know what to do with themselves, kids seem to stay kids longer here, we try and get outdoors as much and have stayed in basic cribs and gone fishing ect, our daughter seems to play ourdoors more, i suppose thats down to low popualtion and less crime or dodgy people about, when we stayed at fishing lodge the kids went off on their own and played down by the river and you didn't have to worry about them, even school play grounds are proper playgrounds, none of this wrapping them in cotton wool like UK, even most schools dont have fences around them like uk ones did, especially junior schools.

Kids do seem to make their own entertainment in NZ, when we went back to UK this Christmas all the kids we went to see seemed to all have X box, Wi or some form of electronic gadget to keep them happy, and whent the family goout on weekends it usually involves spending money to keep kids happy, in NZ you have to be more inventive and thats gets you out and about more, and there are no theme parks down here on SI, we have cinemas and all sorts of other things but if wages in NZ are lower than UK some peoples dispossable income can effect kids being able to go where others are going if it costs alot $$.

NZ is what you make it and if you can get your kids to play outside more then thats a bonus.

Personally, I think that's one of those sweeping generalisations about the UK that I completely don't understand. It's all about mind set and parenting. Influenced by upbringing perhaps.

My childhood was free and outdoor based, so my children's is the same, including family time. We certainly can't afford to frequent theme parks at £100+ a day, despite our relatively high income. Or maybe it's more accurate to say we can but choose not to, for a variety of reasons. They have their place, but not for regular entertainment.

The media talks about children these days being closeted, couped up indoors and entertained by electronic gadgets. But like many things, it is not a reality I have witnessed. Although I'm sure it does exist somewhere. Just by no means everywhere.

Now, if we could have more of those community BBQ's though, that would be great!
Old Mar 14th 2009, 12:01 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Personally, I think that's one of those sweeping generalisations about the UK that I completely don't understand. It's all about mind set and parenting. Influenced by upbringing perhaps.

My childhood was free and outdoor based, so my children's is the same, including family time. We certainly can't afford to frequent theme parks at £100+ a day, despite our relatively high income. Or maybe it's more accurate to say we can but choose not to, for a variety of reasons. They have their place, but not for regular entertainment.

The media talks about children these days being closeted, couped up indoors and entertained by electronic gadgets. But like many things, it is not a reality I have witnessed. Although I'm sure it does exist somewhere. Just by no means everywhere.

Now, if we could have more of those community BBQ's though, that would be great!
I agree it is still the parents who choose how their kids live in the UK.

But it just seems easier in NZ, with a bit less peer pressure, and more parents than not taking a pragmatic view on what kids can do safely.

We find the cost and convenience of doing stuff with the kids very good here in Dunedin. Older daughter (9y) did golf yesterday at school, has recently done diving, scuba diving and other cool stuff too.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 11:09 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorrielou
Just wondering how much there is to do for kids. Not too bad at the moment as ours are 4 and nearly 8 but obviously they will need a bit more going on in the future. At the moment they are happy in soft play places (don't know if there are any on the North Island?). Everything seems geared up to outdoor stuff and also there are plenty comments about how much rain there is, so:

I'm wondering what kids do when the winter and bad weather come?
Basically toughn up - the change in season means change in sports. Unless the pitch is so flooded you can't see the side lines play continues.

As for being sporty - muscle memory plays a big part

If Melbourne is not the place for you NZ might be? But bewarned the South Island is different to the North so really depends on what you and the kids are after?

As for isolation we were never prevented from travelling to Europe/Asia/USA on 6 week family holidays. Work prevents me from returning but thats a personal choice - plenty of it but just not at my level elsewhere.