Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ interest rates rise yet again!

NZ interest rates rise yet again!

Old May 2nd 2007, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

Burt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud of
Default Re: NZ interest rates rise yet again!

Originally Posted by Jude J
Oh...and some positive vibe and hangover cure karma sent!!
Yeaaaaaaaaaa!....but what about those electricity prices going up for winter A?

Burt
Old May 2nd 2007, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh...and some positive vibe and hangover cure karma sent!!
Thanks Jude
needed that. Plus just a small glass of Cabernet Sauvignon! (can't be that drunk- spelt it right-I think!- All those years pounding the Beat!- Gives you inner strength!)

United we stand!!

Jennie
Old May 2nd 2007, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

Burt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jennifer45
Thanks Jude
needed that. Plus just a small glass of Cabernet Sauvignon! (can't be that drunk- spelt it right-I think!- All those years pounding the Beat!- Gives you inner strength!)

United we stand!!

Jennie
Or was that pounding the keyboard 9 - 5?

Burt
Old May 2nd 2007, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burt Badger
Yeaaaaaaaaaa!....but what about those electricity prices going up for winter A?

Burt
You probably won't have to suffer Capital Gains Tax, or Inheritance Tax. You probably don't mind paying so much tax on your fuel or Vat 17.5% UK
12.5%NZ. Hey! I bet your good at dodging the bullets in UK or deflecting the knife attacks. Or maybe you stay locked in your house with the alarms and detector lights on after dusk! Great init? Do you drive your car with an open Stanley knife under the driver's mat? Do you go to bed with a knife or some other weapon for defence near at hand? Are there areas near where you live that you would NEVER drive through? If the answer to some of these questions is no- YOU are very lucky!
I want a life where I can walk my dog in the evening without being 'tooled up'. I want a life where my grandchildre can roam free and explore their countryside and beautiful beaches without the fear of being attacked or molested. I want a life that places more emphasis on the quality of life rather than the materialistic trappings of life. Sure -I want a warm, damp free, comfortable home. There's millions of them in NZ. You just have to take the time to look.
There's millions of damp ridden, cold, mouldy, decrepit houses in UK so let's not be one sided about this.
As for the wonders of Double glazing- we've just paid over £3000 to have the 12yr old units replaced in our conservatory- Double Glazing -BHA! Thick lined floor to ceiling drapes- Good enough for Bucks Palace- good enough for me- and cosier!
As for Electricity prices- Come on now! UK Electricity companies are under scrutiny from UK govt.over pricing.
Jennie
Old May 2nd 2007, 10:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Or was that pounding the keyboard 9 - 5?

Burt
Oh, go evolve!

Jennie
Old May 2nd 2007, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

You probably won't have to suffer Capital Gains Tax, or Inheritance Tax. You probably don't mind paying so much tax on your fuel or Vat 17.5% UK
12.5%NZ. Hey! I bet your good at dodging the bullets in UK or deflecting the knife attacks. Or maybe you stay locked in your house with the alarms and detector lights on after dusk! Great init? Do you drive your car with an open Stanley knife under the driver's mat? Do you go to bed with a knife or some other weapon for defence near at hand? Are there areas near where you live that you would NEVER drive through? If the answer to some of these questions is no- YOU are very lucky!
I want a life where I can walk my dog in the evening without being 'tooled up'. I want a life where my grandchildre can roam free and explore their countryside and beautiful beaches without the fear of being attacked or molested. I want a life that places more emphasis on the quality of life rather than the materialistic trappings of life. Sure -I want a warm, damp free, comfortable home. There's millions of them in NZ. You just have to take the time to look.
There's millions of damp ridden, cold, mouldy, decrepit houses in UK so let's not be one sided about this.
As for the wonders of Double glazing- we've just paid over £3000 to have the 12yr old units replaced in our conservatory- Double Glazing -BHA! Thick lined floor to ceiling drapes- Good enough for Bucks Palace- good enough for me- and cosier!
As for Electricity prices- Come on now! UK Electricity companies are under scrutiny from UK govt.over pricing.
Jennie
Were those bad blisters on your fingers? Aircon go down in the summer? Get a full 45 minute meal break every day?

Burt
Old May 2nd 2007, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Wow...another NZ interest rate rise, I seriously wonder how people afford to buy houses with the current mortgage rates in NZ, especially when wages are so low? NZ currently has the most expensive mortgage rates in the civilised world.

The worring thing is imagine that you buy the house (large shed) of your dreams with a whopping mortgage. Then......the housing market readjusts and suddenly your house is worth $150,000 less than you paid for it. THEN you fall out with your boss and loose you job.

You finally realise that it was all a big mistake and decide to return to the UK, BUT you have no money to buy tickets, ship goods or repatriate your pets. You have a house that is worth less than you paid for it and you can't sell it anyway. The Exchange rate has dropped to $2.20/£1.00, so even if you manage to sell the cold damp house you worked so hard for you won't have enough to get back on to the UK ladder (if you can afford the fare home?) even if UK property decreased in value by 40%.

What a potential nightmare eh?

Still when you live in such a beautiful country you can always just go for a walk along the beach, take in the fabulous views etc etc etc

Burt
Ah ha!!!! This is why you are so bitter (apart from the police and my pension)!! I can understand now. Sorry you had such a poor time of it..must be maddening when there are people here who are happy (and mortgage free), what?? Keep up the good work Bertie..the more people you put off the less crowded it will be here. Up an' at 'em Mr Badger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 2nd 2007, 10:41 pm

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

I want a warm, damp free, comfortable home. There's millions of them in NZ.
, I wouldn't argue with the rest of your post but this is pushing it a bit!
Old May 2nd 2007, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Genesis
Ah ha!!!! This is why you are so bitter (apart from the police and my pension)!! I can understand now. Sorry you had such a poor time of it..must be maddening when there are people here who are happy (and mortgage free), what?? Keep up the good work Bertie..the more people you put off the less crowded it will be here. Up an' at 'em Mr Badger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Keep em peeled!......You just never know who is watching eh?

Burt
Old May 2nd 2007, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Avid
I have one, snug, dry, toasty, warm and lovely. With mountain views too!!!
Old May 2nd 2007, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Burt
You don't like it when you get as good as you give do you??? You still have not answered those questions. Are they a bit tricky for you luvvie?? Come on I want some fun!!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 2nd 2007, 10:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Avid
No it's not.
Just not very good at counting!
Jennie

Old May 2nd 2007, 10:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Burt

Me!

Old May 2nd 2007, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Genesis
I have one, snug, dry, toasty, warm and lovely. With mountain views too!!!
I have a dry, warm, cosy house too Genesis. No mountain views for me sadly, but I do have a lovely park view from the balcony of the master bedroom Got to feel sorry for us poor buggers in our 'sheds'
How are your children? My hubby is also lucky enough to be able to stay home part of the week to look after our 2 yr old.
Old May 2nd 2007, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

I have a dry, warm, cosy house too Genesis. No mountain views for me sadly, but I do have a lovely park view from the balcony of the master bedroom Got to feel sorry for us poor buggers in our 'sheds'
How are your children? My hubby is also lucky enough to be able to stay home part of the week to look after our 2 yr old.
I am sure Burtie will be more than happy for us 'happy clappers' to have a chat aye. Yes I like these 'shed' we have to suffer. The space takes a bit of getting used to..people are amazed that we lived in a house in the UK with no front garden, no drive and God forbid no garage!!!

My kids are all 6 and under..been here 2 years and we love it. Felix is 6 and the twins Isabelle and Elise are 4. We find NZ (Palmy anyways) extremely child friendly and child orientated. Felix loves school and the girls love kindy. Kids seem to be kids longer here..I think its because there isn't that 'who's got the best trainer thing going on'......most of them are barefooted. We are delighted to be here and delighted that we feel we can give our kids far more here than we could back in the UK. We have amazing forest on our doorstep, the beach is only 30 mins away and skiing's only 2.5 hours, 25 parks and reserves in town, only 70 or so restaurants and cafes to choose from, trout fishing at the end of my road, white water rafting round the corner, jet boating 5 mins away, 10 cinemas, 4 theatres, 2 scuba schools, countless golf courses, 2 bowling alleys, a world class indoor outdoor pool complex and some awesome bars and a superb university in town.......now why did I leave Northampton????

Still, in reality I live in the suicide capital of the world with nothing to do and am as miserable as you like in a damp draughty shed...go on Bertie...laugh out loud in North Beds why don't you!! You could always go to Whipsnade for the day if you can get on to the M1.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.