Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ Information Appreciated

NZ Information Appreciated

Old Nov 14th 2005, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

High Priestess is a name known to allHigh Priestess is a name known to allHigh Priestess is a name known to allHigh Priestess is a name known to allHigh Priestess is a name known to allHigh Priestess is a name known to allHigh Priestess is a name known to allHigh Priestess is a name known to allHigh Priestess is a name known to allHigh Priestess is a name known to allHigh Priestess is a name known to all
Default NZ Information Appreciated

Hi all,

My parents are planning an extended trip to New Zealand next year and are hoping to tour the entire North and South islands.

Mum asked if I knew anybody from NZ but I only know folk from just about everywhere else! So I thought to utilise this discussion forum in the hope some members could help out.

What they need to know are such things as the best place to hire a motorhome, the cost of diesel and any other relevant or useful information. Also whether or not the ferry between the islands has to be booked in advance and how much this is going to likely cost.

If anybody can pass on a few comments related to this or care to share other interesting travel information such as places of interest to visit I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks in advance,

Lo
Old Nov 14th 2005, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

High Priestess is a name known to allHigh Priestess is a name known to allHigh Priestess is a name known to allHigh Priestess is a name known to allHigh Priestess is a name known to allHigh Priestess is a name known to allHigh Priestess is a name known to allHigh Priestess is a name known to allHigh Priestess is a name known to allHigh Priestess is a name known to allHigh Priestess is a name known to all
Default Re: NZ Information Appreciated

Originally Posted by High Priestess
Hi all,

My parents are planning an extended trip to New Zealand next year and are hoping to tour the entire North and South islands.

Mum asked if I knew anybody from NZ but I only know folk from just about everywhere else! So I thought to utilise this discussion forum in the hope some members could help out.

What they need to know are such things as the best place to hire a motorhome, the cost of diesel and any other relevant or useful information. Also whether or not the ferry between the islands has to be booked in advance and how much this is going to likely cost.

If anybody can pass on a few comments related to this or care to share other interesting travel information such as places of interest to visit I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks in advance,

Lo
P.S. I have just noticed a few links to motorhomes at the top of the forum. But I'd still appreciate a few links or reccommendations from the membership! I haven't clicked on them yet, maybe they are not ones for hire....

Lo
Old Nov 14th 2005, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by High Priestess
Hi all,

Thanks in advance,

Lo
You can check out britz campervans britz.co.nz I havent used them myself but have some around on teh roads and such, seems like a reasonable organisation (not fly by night). Another option is tui. (the vans not the beer). Do a google on them.

Or check out what Thrifty, Avis or budget rentals have in the line of vans/ campervans

If they are planning an extended trip make sure not to underestimate the travelling times between places in NZ. It looks like a small country and distances may not seem like muck, but roads are winding and narrow and ave speeds will be low. Dont try to do too much, rather settle on seeing some of the country and making sure you get the most out of what you choose to see.

Ferries can be booked easily enough when in NZ, a couple of days before they want to cross. InterIslander ferries should have prices etc on their website. Crossing with a car/ campervan can be expensive though.

ppl generally agree the South Island is more impressive than the north island, but areas around rotorua lake taupo ont he north island are also well worth seeing.

Suggest they go in the NZ summer, some of the roads /passes become unpassable in the winter.
Old Nov 14th 2005, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by newkiwi
You can check out britz campervans britz.co.nz I havent used them myself but have some around on teh roads and such, seems like a reasonable organisation (not fly by night). Another option is tui. (the vans not the beer). Do a google on them.

Or check out what Thrifty, Avis or budget rentals have in the line of vans/ campervans

If they are planning an extended trip make sure not to underestimate the travelling times between places in NZ. It looks like a small country and distances may not seem like muck, but roads are winding and narrow and ave speeds will be low. Dont try to do too much, rather settle on seeing some of the country and making sure you get the most out of what you choose to see.

Ferries can be booked easily enough when in NZ, a couple of days before they want to cross. InterIslander ferries should have prices etc on their website. Crossing with a car/ campervan can be expensive though.

ppl generally agree the South Island is more impressive than the north island, but areas around rotorua lake taupo ont he north island are also well worth seeing.

Suggest they go in the NZ summer, some of the roads /passes become unpassable in the winter.
Hi there Newkiwi!

What can I say? Thank you so much for the information. I will be pasting it all into an email minus your nickname of course and sending it on.

It's really very good of you to have taken the time to write that up and on behalf of my folks I thank you most sincerely! Good effort, they will be stoked!

Lo
Old Nov 14th 2005, 9:32 pm
Isle of Wight Chick

silvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant future

if you want cheaper deals on the interislander ferry, be sure to book early in advance. also, the ferries get seriously busy during peak holiday times and especially when the kids are off school- just remember the school terms here are different to the ones in the uk.
i would highly recommend visiting christchurch (not just because i live there) but it's very englishy and lots of us poms live there. there is so much to see and do. also visit akaroa. its gorgeous and you can take dolphin tours.
i also agree about judging the travelling times. boy, does it take a long time to get anywhere around here. a lot of rural places, especially down here on the south island, are so remote that you wont see anyone on the roads for a while. be sure to be well topped up on fuel, water and oil. diesel at the moment is just under a dollar whereas petrol is $1.39 but prices keep changing.
anyway, have a great time visiting. NZ is a very cool place although i cant wait to go back home in july for 6 weeks!
Old Nov 14th 2005, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by silvermuse
if you want cheaper deals on the interislander ferry, be sure to book early in advance. also, the ferries get seriously busy during peak holiday times and especially when the kids are off school- just remember the school terms here are different to the ones in the uk.
i would highly recommend visiting christchurch (not just because i live there) but it's very englishy and lots of us poms live there. there is so much to see and do. also visit akaroa. its gorgeous and you can take dolphin tours.
i also agree about judging the travelling times. boy, does it take a long time to get anywhere around here. a lot of rural places, especially down here on the south island, are so remote that you wont see anyone on the roads for a while. be sure to be well topped up on fuel, water and oil. diesel at the moment is just under a dollar whereas petrol is $1.39 but prices keep changing.
anyway, have a great time visiting. NZ is a very cool place although i cant wait to go back home in july for 6 weeks!
Thanks very much for the info Silver,

Christchurch sounded familiar to me and then I remembered where I had heard it....it was where Juliette Hulme and Yvonne Parker carried out the murder of Yvonne's mother in the 1950's. Sorry, that wasn't meant as a criticism by the way! The whole story was turned into a film 'Heavenly Creatures' where Kate Winslet made her debut as an actress.

The information is very appreciated and thank you so much. I will be sending it on forthwith!

Fond regards,

Lo
Old Nov 15th 2005, 3:20 am
Isle of Wight Chick

silvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant future

lol, i have just done a whole term at school learning about the hulme/parker case. we focused on the film in english and it is brilliant.
well, if u need anymore info dont hesitate to ask.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

lol, i have just done a whole term at school learning about the hulme/parker case. we focused on the film in english and it is brilliant.
well, if u need anymore info dont hesitate to ask.
Hey Silver, thanks, that's very kind. When my mum finally gets around to checking her inbox I'll forward on any of her proposterous questions lol

How coincidental that you had just got done studying the Hulme/Parker case! I expect that you will know that Juliette Hulme went on to become a successful writer (ironically she wrote crime fiction for a time), under her new name of Anne Perry. I saw her on UK TV recently promoting one of her new books and it was fascinating as of course she was heavily questioned about the infamous murders.

The film was a bit weird and surreal wasn't it? But the ending was a bit gruesome

Best wishes and thanks again Silvermuse

Lo
Old Nov 15th 2005, 12:35 pm
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light

Hi
Yes you can book the ferry in advance....did so myself

http://www.interislander.co.nz/

If you search through the threads there has been numerous threads on "best places to visit"

INMHO

North island

Bay of islands
Auckland sky tower
Cape Regina
Any kauri Forest
Rotura
Taupo
Wellington

South Island

Picton
Abel Tasman
Kaikoura (swil with the dolphins & Whale watch)
Hamner Springs
Arthurs pass
Fox Glacier
Queenstown
Otago
Christchurch

We flew out via Singapore

Singapore Zoo
Night Safari
China town
India Town
hope hey have a great time....i know we did!
Old Nov 15th 2005, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pompey_Paul
Hi
Yes you can book the ferry in advance....did so myself

http://www.interislander.co.nz/

If you search through the threads there has been numerous threads on "best places to visit"

INMHO

North island

Bay of islands
Auckland sky tower
Cape Regina
Any kauri Forest
Rotura
Taupo
Wellington

South Island

Picton
Abel Tasman
Kaikoura (swil with the dolphins & Whale watch)
Hamner Springs
Arthurs pass
Fox Glacier
Queenstown
Otago
Christchurch

We flew out via Singapore

Singapore Zoo
Night Safari
China town
India Town
hope hey have a great time....i know we did!
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the info. We used to live in Singapore so my folks will be familiar with that part lol. Great advice and I will be passing it all on after this reply!

I take it you are from Portsmouth? I have a lot of family down those parts!

Many, many thanks for taking the time Paul to write that up for me. It is much appreciated.

Best wishes,

Lo
Old Nov 15th 2005, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

From Mum to all those concerned:

Hi Again!
Just been reading the nz emails. Some of it we already knew but there were some very interesting points. Thank them for me and tell them to keep sending in the info. I shall read it with great interest.
Love Mum xxx

Thanks everyone and keep the info coming!!!!

Regards,

Lo
Old Nov 15th 2005, 11:10 pm
Isle of Wight Chick

oh, another little thing- dont visit kaikoura early in the morning. sometimes it is so foggy that u can hardly see the road you're driving on!! and it can be bloody cold on the south island in the winter. the abel tasman park is the best- wish i could live there!
Old Nov 16th 2005, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

oh, another little thing- dont visit kaikoura early in the morning. sometimes it is so foggy that u can hardly see the road you're driving on!! and it can be bloody cold on the south island in the winter. the abel tasman park is the best- wish i could live there!
Thanks Silvermuse,

I shall be sure to pass this on! You have been so helpful as has all that have replied to this thread. There can never be too much information so if you happen to think of any more please feel free to bombard me!!! I shall never tire of hearing any helpful info. I want my parents to have the best possible trip, they deserve it!

Thanks again!

Lo