Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ hunts accidental millionaires!

NZ hunts accidental millionaires!

Old May 21st 2009, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute
Default NZ hunts accidental millionaires!

Just read this.......it's the bank I've just deposited £50k with so they better find them!!!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8060681.stm

Phyl x

Last edited by BEVS; May 21st 2009 at 9:13 pm. Reason: try and fix link
Old May 21st 2009, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ hunts accidental millionaires!

Originally Posted by weejie
Just read this.......it's the bank I've just deposited £50k with so they better find them!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/8060681

Phyl x
I have to say I have no problems with this pair. The banks and the leccy companies (as we have found out tonight in NZ) are all ever sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo keen to relieve us of sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much of our money. I think its cool that for once the tables are turned. personally I would not do what they did as my balls are not big enough and I have a phobia of incarceration. Couple of Korean Robin 'oods in my eyes. Its not as if its tax payers wedge aye?? I imagine Westpac can put it down to experience looking at their profits.
Old May 21st 2009, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with you about not having the balls to do it,can you imagine their faces when they checked the balance of their account I must admit my initial thought was good on 'em too. Bet the person who put in the numbers and pressed the button feels a bit stupid though..........unless they were in on it

Phyl x
Old May 21st 2009, 9:10 am
Banned

manchaka is a jewel in the roughmanchaka is a jewel in the roughmanchaka is a jewel in the roughmanchaka is a jewel in the rough

404 - Page Not Found

Sorry the link's not working...

AMx
Old May 21st 2009, 8:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

They knew it wasn't theirs to take. It's stealing fullstop.
Old May 21st 2009, 9:49 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
I have to say I have no problems with this pair.
Given your expressed repugnance on these boards about breaking the law, I think you maybe should reconsider your view here.

Its theft!
Old May 21st 2009, 9:55 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Its not as if its tax payers wedge aye??
Ultimately its shareholders money, and given that shareholders require a certain return over time, it can be argued it could affect all bank customers through higher charges/interest.
Old May 21st 2009, 9:57 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently not. According to the lawyer on the news last night, whilst they are liable to pay back the money they haven't broken any criminal laws and therefore can't be prosecuted.
Old May 21st 2009, 9:58 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Reading the paper this morning it may only be the guy who has done a runner - neighbours reckon the girlfriend has gone back home to the South Island. A colleague's partner had $97k put in his back account by mistake this week too and another had $270,000 instead of $27,000 just a couple of weeks ago!

I've been trying to find out what happened a few years ago with the Irish guy who had 150,000 Euro put in his Spanish bank account instead of 1500 - he didn't want to give it back either but I seem to remember he did in the end and was 'compensated'

It's a brilliant bit of intrigue - regardless of the morals of it.
Old May 21st 2009, 10:00 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
Apparently not. According to the lawyer on the news last night, whilst they are liable to pay back the money they haven't broken any criminal laws and therefore can't be prosecuted.
That's true. IF they can find out where he is and where the money has been deposited they can try to freeze the bank account but not much else I believe. He must give his permission for them to take any money out of his account. My salary was paid into the wrong account once and couldn't be reversed until the guy whose account it was gave his permission
Old May 21st 2009, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southerner
Given your expressed repugnance on these boards about breaking the law, I think you maybe should reconsider your view here.

Its theft!
There's breaking the law and wealth REDISTRIBUTION....I feel the latter is going on here. Of course I know its theft but I don't give a stuff about the victim who I happen to bank with...but wish I didn't!!!!! Of course I feel for the little people who are owed money by the gas station they ran..but I will not judge these people as bad people. Westpac have made enough profit to stomach this. I still say good luck to them. I guess my morals are 'variable' for different crimes..atleat I am flexible.
Old May 21st 2009, 10:20 pm
Here in Dunedin

Originally Posted by Batty
That's true. IF they can find out where he is and where the money has been deposited they can try to freeze the bank account but not much else I believe. He must give his permission for them to take any money out of his account. My salary was paid into the wrong account once and couldn't be reversed until the guy whose account it was gave his permission
I thought there was some case law that, apart from an honest mistake, if you use money that you know is not yours, then it would be theft. Moving money offshore I thinks shows intent. It doesn't necessarily surprise me that a lawyer finds the nearest journalist and says otherwise - thats their job, to argue the law in different scenarios.
Old May 21st 2009, 10:22 pm
Here in Dunedin

Was Hanover wealth REDISTRIBUTION?
Old May 21st 2009, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
In the UK its called 'retaining a wrongful credit'. Bearing in mind the kiwi legal sytem mirrors (to a degree) the UK one I would be very, very surprised that they had NOT broken the law. Still hope they stay undetected. Even as a Westpac customer who may bear increase costs as a result I feel no ill towards them.
Old May 21st 2009, 10:26 pm
Here in Dunedin

....I am flexible.
which I'm sure Mrs G is very happy about

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.