Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ Houses are freezing

NZ Houses are freezing

Old Jul 14th 2021, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ Houses are freezing

Originally Posted by jackinthetree
Sighs.

Hey do you guys have any recommendations for areas to look at? Looking for somewhere safe, close to skiing/mountains/hikes, maybe more of a semi-rural (well not rural but just a lot of peace and quiet).
Which Island, North or south ?
South has far more of what you've listed than the north and apart from central otago lakes region, isn't as expensive as the north. Queenstown, Arrowtown are very expensive. Further afield,Cromwell, wannaka, Alexandra etc are more affordable.
There are mountain ski fields the whole length of the South Island from Rainbow, just outside of Nelson right down to the Remarkables so far more variety and opportunities
Old Jul 15th 2021, 4:26 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Sighs
No need to sigh. We are happy to help and guide.

Hey do you guys have any recommendations for areas to look at?
That would depend where any job offer is & even then if one could uplift a visa.

With regard to homes and housing, it is like anywhere else , some areas cost more than others. What would you consider to be expensive?

With new house builds it is a pic and mix exercise according to your budget. You pick a plan and are given a quote . Then anything extra like more bespoke items or upgrades to the norm are add-ons and you pay for that.

Safe is everywhere. So is the outdoors.
Old Jul 17th 2021, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

jackinthetree has a reputation beyond reputejackinthetree has a reputation beyond reputejackinthetree has a reputation beyond reputejackinthetree has a reputation beyond reputejackinthetree has a reputation beyond reputejackinthetree has a reputation beyond reputejackinthetree has a reputation beyond reputejackinthetree has a reputation beyond reputejackinthetree has a reputation beyond reputejackinthetree has a reputation beyond reputejackinthetree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
Which Island, North or south ?
South has far more of what you've listed than the north and apart from central otago lakes region, isn't as expensive as the north. Queenstown, Arrowtown are very expensive. Further afield,Cromwell, wannaka, Alexandra etc are more affordable.
There are mountain ski fields the whole length of the South Island from Rainbow, just outside of Nelson right down to the Remarkables so far more variety and opportunities
Thanks Justcol
ls the South island very hard to get around? On paper, it does seem the South might be more suited. Are there any specific areas you can recommend for me to look at? Besides affordability, I'm looking for safety, nowhere in the Tsunami path and isn't a complete pain to travel overseas from. Or is that a bit of a silly list?
Old Jul 17th 2021, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

jackinthetree has a reputation beyond reputejackinthetree has a reputation beyond reputejackinthetree has a reputation beyond reputejackinthetree has a reputation beyond reputejackinthetree has a reputation beyond reputejackinthetree has a reputation beyond reputejackinthetree has a reputation beyond reputejackinthetree has a reputation beyond reputejackinthetree has a reputation beyond reputejackinthetree has a reputation beyond reputejackinthetree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Suggest look at some of the towns around Hamilton but mostly depends on where you need to be for work - there's not a huge amount of choice for some trades / professions who need to be near or rely on the masses for work. Being within reasonable commuting distance of any major centre is by default going to be expensive.
I'm working remotely at the moment, so I guess the key criteria is internet access and a reasonable ability to travel out if I need to do international travel.
Old Jul 17th 2021, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BEVS
No need to sigh. We are happy to help and guide.

That would depend where any job offer is & even then if one could uplift a visa.

With regard to homes and housing, it is like anywhere else , some areas cost more than others. What would you consider to be expensive?

With new house builds it is a pic and mix exercise according to your budget. You pick a plan and are given a quote . Then anything extra like more bespoke items or upgrades to the norm are add-ons and you pay for that.

Safe is everywhere. So is the outdoors.
You are too kind BEVS Thank you , I appreciate it. A lot.

I think my questions might be a little silly because I've never actually been, but I don't mind researching from here, particularly house prices. In terms of too expensive, I'm not really sure. Here in Vancouver $1.5M is too expensive for us by far.

I'm glad to hear that safe is everywhere and the outdoors. Those two aspects are extremely important.
I work remotely at the moment, but do need to travel once in a while. My ideal place would be semi rural but not remote. It would have proximity to travel to mountains to ski and hike. It wouldn't be completely decimated by a tsunami or earthquake (if possible) and it would be a family friendly, relaxed atmosphere. And safe.

Old Jul 18th 2021, 12:08 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I work remotely at the moment, but do need to travel once in a while.
You might well do but that won't get you into New Zealand any time soon or later for that matter. Perhaps it might be better to focus on the ability to gain a visa.

As for the rest, anywhere will be fine outside of the cities which are not monster sized anyway.
Old Jul 18th 2021, 1:27 am
Forum Regular

Visa is not an issue. Just researching places in case our Canadian dream doesn't work out
Old Jul 18th 2021, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

South Island is very easy to travel around. Chch had a big quake 10 years ago, it's not a concern now. Might be another, might not be, risk isn't enough to make me not live there in the future.
Top bits warmer, bottom bits colder, west coast gets most rain, middle bit is pretty dry, mountains run all the way from top to bottom
trademe or real estate nz for house prices and guides
Old Jul 19th 2021, 9:45 am
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

I'm working remotely at the moment, so I guess the key criteria is internet access and a reasonable ability to travel out if I need to do international travel.
International Airports
So you need to have reasonable access (but what are your criteria?).

Two hours drive to the International airport limits your scope.
Happy with 2 hour drive to local airport and local flight to International airport?
Almost anywhere.

Not may public transport options, unlike, for example, the UK.
Old Jul 19th 2021, 2:47 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

We replaced all our 12 windows several years ago with double glazed windows (yes, I know, we live in the south of the US and not NZ) and the cost was $11,000. We have recouped some of that cost in the savings on heat and central a/c. Of course, being an older home (1975 build), we have little insulation and sit on a cement slab, no basement. So $15,000 is not that far out of line with us.
Old Jul 19th 2021, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Justcol
South Island is very easy to travel around. Chch had a big quake 10 years ago, it's not a concern now. Might be another, might not be, risk isn't enough to make me not live there in the future.
Top bits warmer, bottom bits colder, west coast gets most rain, middle bit is pretty dry, mountains run all the way from top to bottom
trademe or real estate nz for house prices and guides
Thanks so much @Justcol. Do you have any other areas you can recommend on the South for me to research. Probably not past middle half as that'd be too cold for me.
Old Jul 19th 2021, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat
International Airports
So you need to have reasonable access (but what are your criteria?).

Two hours drive to the International airport limits your scope.
Happy with 2 hour drive to local airport and local flight to International airport?
Almost anywhere.

Not may public transport options, unlike, for example, the UK.
That's really helpful. I guess 2 hours by car is good but we might have to go with the latter, based on what I'm seeing.

Queenstown and Dunedin look interesting but I hear it's very expensive there. I will maybe start researching around here to see if there are cheaper spots in vicinity.
Old Jul 21st 2021, 3:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks so much @Justcol. Do you have any other areas you can recommend on the South for me to research. Probably not past middle half as that'd be too cold for me.
For city's you've got Chch, Nelson and Blenheim.
Regions would be Canterbury, Marlborough or Nelson/Tasman,
Smaller towns I like (which counts for nothing), Picton, Motueka, Amberley, Rangiora, Akaroa, Hanmer Springs, Methven, Ashburton, Geraldine.
Old Jul 21st 2021, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

jayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clappy
It is a common complaint of people that move to live here, the concept of central-heating was not embraced by the people of this country. The houses are fine to live in the during the summer but cold and draughty during the winter.

Very new houses will have insulation built in. When I was house-hunting five years ago I did see one (just one!) new house that had double-glazing so they do exist but are a minority.

As suggested above, buy a new-build.
We're in a new house with double glazing and insulation, in the central north island, but the system of house building here isn't to the standard we are used to in UK.. Even the brick built ones aren't as well insulated . We have one heat pump in the living area, which is open plan ( harder to heat) as are many new houses here, but in winter the temperature in the bedroom is around 12c at night. The house never really feels warm . We also have a ventilation system installed, which reduces condensation. My advice when looking to buy here is buy a new, brick house. in a sunny position.
Old Jul 22nd 2021, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jayandbill
We're in a new house with double glazing and insulation, in the central north island, but the system of house building here isn't to the standard we are used to in UK.. Even the brick built ones aren't as well insulated . We have one heat pump in the living area, which is open plan ( harder to heat) as are many new houses here, but in winter the temperature in the bedroom is around 12c at night. The house never really feels warm . We also have a ventilation system installed, which reduces condensation. My advice when looking to buy here is buy a new, brick house. in a sunny position.
I think most of the problem is if you live on the north Island it's hot and humid for 9 months of the year where you dont really need heating so the idea is to keep the house cool without using loads of aircon.
Then for the 3 months it's cold. unfortunately grim and bear and man up with a heat pump which is about as much use as putting my wife's hair drier above my head.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.