Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ heating options - Advice/opinons needed pls

NZ heating options - Advice/opinons needed pls

Old Feb 2nd 2014, 4:12 am
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold
Default NZ heating options - Advice/opinons needed pls

So the plans are being drawn up for the rennovation to our 2 storey house and we can't decide on how to heat it
The options:
1. Gas central heating piped into each of the rooms
2. Heat pump with a heat transfer system
The pro and cons that I see are that the Gas system doesnt have any air conditioning, and,
Does the heat transfer system spread the air conditioning throughout the house as well? and will it cover both floors?

I may be wrong but i think the two options are of similar costings

We are grateful for any advice and previous experience. Thanks in advance
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 4:57 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ heating options - Advice/opinons needed pls

I thought heat transfer systems worked OK with a main heat source i.e log burner but I am not so sure about a heat pump as the main source. Would not two heat pumps be a way to go? One in the living areas and the other in the hall way. With two stories the heat will then travel upwards.
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 5:21 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

You can't use a 'heat transfer' for gas and heatpumps really - the systme relies on excess heat, which you won't get enough of with either.

However, ducted heatpumps would be my preference in your situation - it will pretty much feel like central heating - i have a pal with this and it's ace. Failing that, a couple of well positioned heatpumps. http://www.fujitsugeneral.co.nz/ducted.html

Don't touch unflued gas heaters with a barge pole - they ar surprisingly common here
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 6:33 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Fundamental question.

What is the shape of your house? The floor plan. The spare roof space
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 7:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Forget heat transfer system as heat pumps really do not generate enough oomph to heat more than the room it's in. Best thing is to get someone in to advise on best positioning and amount of units required to suit the area(s) you are trying to heat. We have three units inside, two of which feed off of one external unit - I think they call it a split unit. Anyway they all operate independently from the inside and don't need to be on at the same time.

The large one is on it's own heats the main living space, lounge, dinner and kitchen. The other two are in the hall and main bedroom - we generally have them on timer during winter and leave all doors open so heat is fairly evenly distributed. It works for us anyway and only the back bedroom does get quite cold though.
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

I have gas heated blown air central heating, the gar heater is outside and the warm air is blown through vents in the floor in to each room.
IMHO its better than radiators as the whole house is warm in less than 5 minutes, with radiators it takes much longer.
The whole system is controlled from one point and each room can be switched on or off independantly.
Not sure is its suitable for two story homes but its worth looking into
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

Chippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really nice

If possible look at ground source heat pumps (if you have a sufficient size plot) they are much more efficient than air source, they are uncommon at the moment though.
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

Chippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really nice

Also don't forget you can have a wet back (boiler) in the log burner to heat water and possibly a couple of rads.
You can add them to existing stoves but its really better to buy one designed to have one in place.
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

Lb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to behold

Is it cheaper to heat via gas than electric? I'm in an old villa 2 storey. It's cold in summer!
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

I'm guessing electric heat pumps would be the most cost effective option for a 2 story villa.
I'm also in a villa but mine is a single level one so my gas heating works for me, I've never compared costs though
so couldnt comment on comparisons
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 6:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Depends if you're talking mains gas or LPG - the last report I saw on http://www.consumer.org.nz/ showed that LPG is the most expensive form of power per kwh.

Electric heat pumps always win hands down as the most efficient /cost effective in these tests.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

mine is mains gas, i'm guessing there may be cheaper options but I like this one as its warms the whole house in minutes
Old Feb 5th 2014, 7:33 am
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for all your replies, I am very quickly handing the computer to OH as this is his department, mine is choosing kitchen, bathrooms and paint colours
Old Feb 5th 2014, 10:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Woolly hats, scarves and jumpers in winter :nod . Bikini in summer . She'll be right
Old Feb 5th 2014, 8:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Woolly hats, scarves and jumpers in winter :nod . Bikini in summer . She'll be right
Heating is for wimps, eh? Some will tell you it's all unnecessary and you only need it five days of the year.

She'll be right, harden up, get your flannelettes out and stick another pair of socks on!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.