Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Is NZ headed for the gurgler in a BIG way?

Is NZ headed for the gurgler in a BIG way?

Old Nov 18th 2011, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is NZ headed for the gurgler in a BIG way?

Another poster mooted this today so I thought I would pose the question. Is NZ heading for a very big fall for one reason or another or will tourism and the dairy factory keep us afloat? I really have no idea and think it could go either way. One more big 'quake or some other cataclysmic event could send us right down the swanee sans les paddles. I guess NZ relies too heavily on far too few resources and is very much an island waaaaaaay from anywhere else.

Personally I see my YOUNG childrens future here 100%, until their education ends alas I don't see along term future for them as adults if they want to get on (unless things really change in the next decade or so). I don't think NZ as it stands is progressive enough and is too small to offer an ambitous number of young people a future. I guess that is why 25% of the population is elsewhere eh?
Old Nov 19th 2011, 12:23 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is NZ headed for the gurgler in a BIG way?

No idea, but if it is then we may end up becoming a state of Australia. That may not be a bad thing. Silver linings and all that.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 1:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

One more cataclysmic event should be enough to cause economic calamity.

Parts of Wellington disappearing back under the sea or a new volcano in Auckland are two examples and neither are beyond the bounds of possibility.

The agribusiness will carry on though so it depends on your line of work as to how badly you would be affected.

If I had been born here I would have left in my twenties. Now I am older I find that Auckland is just about big enough for me, but only just.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 1:13 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
Another poster mooted this today so I thought I would pose the question. Is NZ heading for a very big fall for one reason or another or will tourism and the dairy factory keep us afloat? I really have no idea and think it could go either way. One more big 'quake or some other cataclysmic event could send us right down the swanee sans les paddles. I guess NZ relies too heavily on far too few resources and is very much an island waaaaaaay from anywhere else.

Personally I see my YOUNG childrens future here 100%, until their education ends alas I don't see along term future for them as adults if they want to get on (unless things really change in the next decade or so). I don't think NZ as it stands is progressive enough and is too small to offer an ambitous number of young people a future. I guess that is why 25% of the population is elsewhere eh?
What are YOU doing Genesis that is going to change that future you fear for your kids? Not bothering to vote, is not a good example.

Personally I think NZ is positioned to ride out a global economic meltdown better than a lot of other countries, especially compared to the UK. We have the advantage of efficient agriculture, which commands a premium price in new markets like Asia for example.

I hope in the next 10-20 years the world will change, but for the better. The years of excess that started in the 80's is coming to a end. The ruthless capitalism that has run so rampant is now going to collapse the US and the Eurozone. It's going to hurt no doubt, but I believe that there will be a focus on more sustainable living and less focus on materialism.

That is something we are teaching our kids, by example. Even if our kids chose to live overseas, then I hope their experience growing up in NZ and the values we as their parents pass on to them, will give them the courage and passion to make the world a better place.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 1:16 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Of course the Awatere fault might send a big 7+ earthquake through the region and destroy everything we have worked so hard on.

"So much for the plans of mice and men"
Old Nov 19th 2011, 1:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

I think that water supply is going to be one of the biggest challenges facing humans in the decades ahead and for that aspect I feel very comfortable in NZ.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catchafire
What are YOU doing Genesis that is going to change that future you fear for your kids? Not bothering to vote, is not a good example.

Personally I think NZ is positioned to ride out a global economic meltdown better than a lot of other countries, especially compared to the UK. We have the advantage of efficient agriculture, which commands a premium price in new markets like Asia for example.

I hope in the next 10-20 years the world will change, but for the better. The years of excess that started in the 80's is coming to a end. The ruthless capitalism that has run so rampant is now going to collapse the US and the Eurozone. It's going to hurt no doubt, but I believe that there will be a focus on more sustainable living and less focus on materialism.

That is something we are teaching our kids, by example. Even if our kids chose to live overseas, then I hope their experience growing up in NZ and the values we as their parents pass on to them, will give them the courage and passion to make the world a better place.
What am I doing? Trying to ensure that I will be able to leave all three of them enough money to have a sufficiently large deposit that they will not become slaves to mortgages like their parents were for too long. and why would I vote if there is NO ONE that will inspire me enough to make me want them in office? Do you have any ideas who might be a good bet?? And anyways even if I did vote some plonker in I very much doubt they will have any effect on my kid's future. They mostly do nothing and what they do do it pretty useless.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 2:31 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

No-one saw the Japan quake or the Thailand tsunami coming, so if you start living in fear of what you have no control over, you might as well stick a gun in your mouth now and let the kids sell your house.
Alternatively, you could always follow the German example of actually getting on and enjoying your life and leaving the kids a debt to pass on to their kids.
Cup half empty again?
Old Nov 19th 2011, 2:38 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Not really sure if Australia would want us, also you assume being part of Australia would somehow make us wealthier.

Look I agree keeping graduates in New Zealand is a real problem but without companies here looking to hire skilled employees it’s always going to be a problem. What can the gubbermint do? They can’t magically will jobs out of thin air or that’s what John Key would be doing right this second.

Could New Zealand do more to encourage people to start companies and encourage trade? Of course, the same things all countries do like investing in infrastructure, reallocate funding to business investments through changes to the tax codes and aiding in finding start-up capital for people starting companies.

Would they be popular if they told people taxes where going to go up on their incomes, businesses and house sales? No. Net result: Their hands are tied.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 3:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

You need to cheer up Bro, try posting something happy

Neil
Old Nov 19th 2011, 3:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
No-one saw the Japan quake or the Thailand tsunami coming, so if you start living in fear of what you have no control over, you might as well stick a gun in your mouth now and let the kids sell your house.
Alternatively, you could always follow the German example of actually getting on and enjoying your life and leaving the kids a debt to pass on to their kids.
Cup half empty again?
No, my cup is very, very much half full thanks. Just having a debate. Not too painful is it? Moreover, I enjoy my life quite nicely thanks. No harm in wanting a better fiscal start for my kids adult life than I had eh?
Old Nov 19th 2011, 3:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
You need to cheer up Bro, try posting something happy

Neil
May I refer you to the post above?
Old Nov 19th 2011, 4:32 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Is NZ headed for the gurgler in a BIG way?

Surely the English way is to find humour in the darkest depths misery, suffering and despair of life. We thrive on adversity and love a history that teaches us that from the darkest times we can emerge defiantly and strive on with grit and determination. As much as Americans believed in their exceptionalism we believe in our ability to endure no matter how much of a close run thing it is.

If it so happens that that adversity is surviving the mundane tyranny of an inconsequential existence then that is where we march. If the English where in the position the Greeks are in their reaction would be “well it could be worse, it has been worse…now let’s put this right” or “let’s think of how lucky we are to have sunshine” (they would be in Greece after all! ). That is the British way, not faux cheery optimism.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 6:32 am
Banned

tweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Surely the English way is to find humour in the darkest depths misery, suffering and despair of life. We thrive on adversity and love a history that teaches us that from the darkest times we can emerge defiantly and strive on with grit and determination. As much as Americans believed in their exceptionalism we believe in our ability to endure no matter how much of a close run thing it is.

If it so happens that that adversity is surviving the mundane tyranny of an inconsequential existence then that is where we march. If the English where in the position the Greeks are in their reaction would be “well it could be worse, it has been worse…now let’s put this right” or “let’s think of how lucky we are to have sunshine” (they would be in Greece after all! ). That is the British way, not faux cheery optimism.
I think everyone should go and open a good bottle of 'Savvee' and enjoy the wonderful weather, have a dance on the 100% pure beach and forget about these things. after all, isnt that why everyone moved here from UK in the first place? you cant spend your life worrying about what may happen. that is not living! No one else here worries about finances, future, pensions, etc. All those people left long ago. The Kiwis emigrated to UK, USA, Australia and the foreigners concerned about things went back home.

Last edited by tweetweet; Nov 19th 2011 at 6:36 am.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 6:49 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Originally Posted by tweetweet
have a dance on the 100% pure beach
Unless you live in Tauranga in which case find someone elses beach to dance on .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.