Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Is NZ headed for the gurgler in a BIG way?

Is NZ headed for the gurgler in a BIG way?

Old Nov 19th 2011, 7:28 am

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is NZ headed for the gurgler in a BIG way?

Originally Posted by tweetweet
I think everyone should go and open a good bottle of 'Savvee' and enjoy the wonderful weather, have a dance on the 100% pure beach and forget about these things. after all, isnt that why everyone moved here from UK in the first place? you cant spend your life worrying about what may happen. that is not living! No one else here worries about finances, future, pensions, etc. All those people left long ago. The Kiwis emigrated to UK, USA, Australia and the foreigners concerned about things went back home.
Are you sure? - there are plenty of people I know, family and friends in NZ, who are very concerned about the future. Go to the beach, yes, but it would be foolish to stick your head in the sand!
Old Nov 19th 2011, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

Here are four underused words that really could send NZ down the gurgler in a big way: foot and mouth disease
Old Nov 19th 2011, 7:54 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DC10
Here are four underused words that really could send NZ down the gurgler in a big way: foot and mouth disease
http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/pests...accination.htm

All sorts of problems can occur with all sorts of industries, having a plan to deal with serious impacts is good.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 4:24 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
Another poster mooted this today so I thought I would pose the question. Is NZ heading for a very big fall for one reason or another or will tourism and the dairy factory keep us afloat? I really have no idea and think it could go either way. One more big 'quake or some other cataclysmic event could send us right down the swanee sans les paddles. I guess NZ relies too heavily on far too few resources and is very much an island waaaaaaay from anywhere else.

Personally I see my YOUNG childrens future here 100%, until their education ends alas I don't see along term future for them as adults if they want to get on (unless things really change in the next decade or so). I don't think NZ as it stands is progressive enough and is too small to offer an ambitous number of young people a future. I guess that is why 25% of the population is elsewhere eh?
It's a challenge for sure.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 6:16 pm
Banned

tweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sheene
Are you sure? - there are plenty of people I know, family and friends in NZ, who are very concerned about the future. Go to the beach, yes, but it would be foolish to stick your head in the sand!
anyone we speak to just says we are making a mountain out of a mole hill and that the economy is worse elsewhere. they say we are whingeing!
so if you cant beat 'em join 'em
Old Nov 19th 2011, 7:54 pm

waikatoguy is an unknown quantity at this point

I reckon you have to answer what the definition of BIG (in capital letters) is first. Is there going to be something in the realms of a Greek proportions meltdown. Well ... not in the forseeable future, according to the economists. Will there be a meltdown of any proportions? Who knows. Far less likely than many other countries in the world, I suggest.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 8:16 pm
Beach bums :)

Boogieboard is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
You need to cheer up Bro, try posting something happy
Neil

I think everyone should go and open a good bottle of 'Savvee' and enjoy the wonderful weather, have a dance on the 100% pure beach and forget about these things. after all, isnt that why everyone moved here from UK in the first place? you cant spend your life worrying about what may happen. that is not living!
Old Nov 19th 2011, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Don't see why some folks on here think that NZ will of okay of there is trouble else. Noone is immune to global storms or recession. And, whereas Oz has lots of wealth in store for the future, what does NZ have that would allow it to ride the storm? Also, this clean and green image of NZ simple doesn't add up either. The fact that NZ has a low population and not a great variety of industries make it more vulnerable I would think.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

I think everyone should go and open a good bottle of 'Savvee' and enjoy the wonderful weather, have a dance on the 100% pure beach and forget about these things. after all, isnt that why everyone moved here from UK in the first place? you cant spend your life worrying about what may happen. that is not living! No one else here worries about finances, future, pensions, etc. All those people left long ago. The Kiwis emigrated to UK, USA, Australia and the foreigners concerned about things went back home.
Who's worried? I am not. It's just a debate. I am not leaving NZ any time soon. I just wonder (and doubt) that NZ has the kind of future I would like for my kids long term. I could be wrong. Great thing is they have a choice. NZ, maybe Oz (if we go for citizenship) and then Europe. But just now I have absolutely no worries about living in NZ other than the shite driving (but I am becoming immune to that). Que sera sera.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by whitesand
what does NZ have that would allow it to ride the storm?
Food and water and relative warmth, the staples of life. ... and a natural border ... and a low population. I would guess that NZ probably has the most fertile square acre of land per capita in the world.

Last edited by waikatoguy; Nov 19th 2011 at 10:27 pm. Reason: I keep thinking of new things to add to the list
Old Nov 19th 2011, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

Tray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Genesis
Another poster mooted this today so I thought I would pose the question. Is NZ heading for a very big fall for one reason or another or will tourism and the dairy factory keep us afloat? I really have no idea and think it could go either way. One more big 'quake or some other cataclysmic event could send us right down the swanee sans les paddles. I guess NZ relies too heavily on far too few resources and is very much an island waaaaaaay from anywhere else.

Personally I see my YOUNG childrens future here 100%, until their education ends alas I don't see along term future for them as adults if they want to get on (unless things really change in the next decade or so). I don't think NZ as it stands is progressive enough and is too small to offer an ambitous number of young people a future. I guess that is why 25% of the population is elsewhere eh?
I've got no idea what the future for NZ will be, but there are as many +'s as there are -'s....Before emigrating we were meticulous in our research.... Christchurch did not have a known fault line... You can plan your future really well & your choices may still surprise you. At least this island won't sink due to an over population crisis!
I have faith that my son will make his own choices/mistakes re: where he wants to live & whom he wants to vote for etc... and as my choices were different from my parents & were based on my life in another time so will his be.
There are so many different variables re: why people leave their country of origin or stay & it may not always be based on economics.
if I could vote mine would go to Ngaa Rauuira (Maori Boy Genius) he makes more sense & seems more genuine than any of the other politicians i've seen & in my opinion he'd ensure that NZ would rise & not fall
Old Nov 20th 2011, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by Tray
There are so many different variables re: why people leave their country of origin or stay & it may not always be based on economics.
That's what I reckon too. :sunglasses: A lot comes down to peoples priorities. Just one example. While some people feel the low population of NZ is a negative because of economies of scale, and the economics of it all, some other people reckon its a positive because there is less crowding in an over-populated world and there is hardly any likelihood of a famine or such here. Sometime in the future the world's increasing population is going to reach breaking point. Somethings going to have to give sooner or later, although it won't be in our lifetime. But I doubt that NZ would be seen as half bad when it does. That's what I reckon anyway.