Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ has gone to the dogs...

NZ has gone to the dogs...

Old Sep 26th 2008, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Patrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to all
Default Re: NZ has gone to the dogs...

Originally Posted by crap coffee
Gas Fire?

Ok. before moving to Brooklyn we previously lived in Papakowahi (for 2.5 years) and it was a (3 years old) new house. yes! There was a Gas fire!@ again it was in the lounge. therefore I was freezing in my bedroom/kitchen/bathroom/coridor . also we discovered that the gas fire didn't work very well - switches etc. It wasn't user friendly - kind of crap. and wasn't convenient either. so largely I remember we rarely (sometimes) used the gas fire . the electric heater mostly used. . It was a very big house (5 bedrooms) so cold cold cold.
I thought i saw one. I remember a Plumber telling me the further south from Auckland Gas was used more. Oh well still wouldnt put me off. Would u not consider moving to balmy Auckland or further? Mind u still chilly and damp in Auckland housing i think i lived in around 8 houses.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick2007
I thought i saw one. I remember a Plumber telling me the further south from Auckland Gas was used more. Oh well still wouldnt put me off. Would u not consider moving to balmy Auckland or further? Mind u still chilly and damp in Auckland housing i think i lived in around 8 houses.
My parents/younger brother are living in auckland (north shore) now. but we previously lived in auckland for 1 year in Blockehouse Bay (Dundale Ave 65 - crap as) when we emigrated to Nz first time. so it's early 90's. then we moved down to Welly. hhmm... dunno. I've lived in Welly for a long time, so I don't find auckland is nice enough place for me in many ways (most importantely no jobs for me ) . (In fact, Auckland is the last place I want to live in - along with Sydney and London) If I am forced to live in Auckland with what so ever reasons (if I am kicked out from Welly). I shall go back to the UK. For me, the only reason moving to Auckland is studying at Auckland University. Otherwise no other reasons I want to be there. also I much prefer cooler temperatures. I just can't stand auckland's hot summer and changeable weather in general. -every 5 minutes showers/hail in winter - that gives me big headahes. I much prefer Welly though it's windy. and it's much sunnier and drier here. auckland is damp as. and full of clouds most of the time

Last edited by crap coffee; Sep 26th 2008 at 1:10 pm.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Patrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by crap coffee
My parents/younger brother are living in auckland (north shore). We lived in auckland for just 1 year in Blockehouse Bay (Dundale Ave 65 - crap as) when we emigrated to Nz first time. so it's early 90's. then we moved down to Welly. hhmm... dunno. I've lived in Welly for a long time, so I don't find auckland is nice enough place for me in many ways. (In fact, Auckland is the last place I want to live in - along with Sydney and London) If I am forced to live in Auckland with what so ever reasons (if I am kicked out from Welly). I shall go back to the UK. For me, the only reason moving to Auckland is studying at Auckland University. Otherwise no other reasons I want to be there. also maybe you like wamer weather but I much prefer cooler. I can't stand auckland's hot summer and - changing every 5 minutes - showers/hails in winter - I just can't stand - that gives me big headahes. I much prefer Welly weather though it's windy. and it's much sunnier and drier in Welly. auckland is damp as. and full of clouds most of the time
I wish now in hindsight i had chosen Welly by the sounds of things but hey-ho there always next time. I know Blockhouse Bay. I also know about those summers. The humidity in Auckland can be a killer.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

I wish now in hindsight i had chosen Welly by the sounds of things but hey-ho there always next time. I know Blockhouse Bay. I also know about those summers. The humidity in Auckland can be a killer.
so you are coming to Welly after all?

good luck

bring heaps of thermal/warm undies, fleece, water proof and hoodies

and

be prepared

Last edited by crap coffee; Sep 26th 2008 at 1:11 pm.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

JasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to all

Why don't you two swap numbers and pick up the phone??!!!!!!!
Old Sep 26th 2008, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you know i used to love coming on this forum and trying to help people with advice etc but lately it seems to be that if someone makes a statement they get shot down...

I thought that the whole idea of a forum was to ask questions and hopefully get answers often with a bit of humor thrown in for good measure. Wether it be the weather they are describing or something else it is their own personal view.

Unfortunately what we see a lot on here lately is a lot of bickering and picking on people for bad gramar spelling mistakes and the like or saying they dont like living somewhere for whatever reason, does it really matter though at the end of the day we are all only human i often make spelling mistakes on here and if i see them and realise i have made a mistake i will change it but if i dont see it i would prefer not to be reprimanded like a schoolgirl it actually reminds me a bit of the bantering and bickering that goes on in Parliment.....

My views on NZ as this is what the thread was actually about and they are my views is that people being high on P and other drugs can often be at the root of things like this that poor man in Auckland and others that it has happened to it must be just so devastating for the families left behind and as someone said with the mans body being left undercover while forensics did their job would be unbearable.

I have lived in NZ for 31yrs and my opinion is that it is getting worse and that the criminals are the ones that seem to have all the perks...I believe that prisons all over New Zealand should have a lock down one day a year and open the prisons to the general public or send the TV cameras in, after all we are paying for this so lets see exactly where our money is going...

I would bet that they live better lives in prison than some kiwis on the outside do with no stress of where their next meal is coming from and how will they pay next months power bill (of course they dont have a power bill to worry about because you and I are going to pay for it through the tax system)

This is where govenrment needs to get the balls to bring the prisons back to basics. A bare room with a bed and 4 walls to contemplate the crime that they have commited (this would happen in a perfect world but we aren't living in a perfect world are we) But then i guess the human rights thing would come into play, those poor prisoners have rights too well im sorry but I believe they gave away their rights when they commited the crime. So my belief is start at the bottom forget the death penalty for now and make life inside what it should be.

I also feel that things will get worse with the mentality of some of todays younger crowd have you ever been out late at night to pick up a takeaway im talking at around 11.30 - midnight time. I have and its extremely intimidating, theses kids and they are very young are drinking their heads off and using goodness knows what else and they really dont care...I sat behind a car in McDonalds last weekend and there were these 2 girls hanging out the back windows of the car and the noise they were making was indescribable it sounded like a cat stuck in in a doorway and they were totally off their faces and teenagers were walking along the road carrying boxes of beer. I was really freaked out and locked my car doors the atmosphere was like something was going to kick off any minute and if it had i had no where to go as i was stuck in a McDonalds drive through..And inside it was worse the place was full of kids off their faces....

My question is what are these kids going to be like as adults, we all used to go out and have a good time as teenegers often having too much to drink but nothing like what im seeing today these kids are binge drinking and smoking and taking whatever drugs because they are easy to get nowadays we are allowing a culture to grow and the bottom line is these kids are going to munt their brains and lots will turn into crims because society wont want to employ them.

My apologies if i have rambled on here, there are so many vairables of why there is so much crime but that the bottom line is that there is no deterent to not be in jail. I have seen the tv programs where the drug smugglers or whatever are in the jails overseas are living in basic accomodation thats what we need over here the people that they attack rob or whatever have had their basic human rights taken away so why not the crims...............
Cheers
Cally

Last edited by cally49; Sep 26th 2008 at 8:24 pm.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cally49
Do you know i used to love coming on this forum and trying to help people with advice etc but lately it seems to be that if someone makes a statement they get shot down...

I thought that the whole idea of a forum was to ask questions and hopefully get answers often with a bit of humor thrown in for good measure. Wether it be the weather they are describing or something else it is their own personal view.

Unfortunately what we see a lot on here lately is a lot of bickering and picking on people for bad gramar spelling mistakes and the like or saying they dont like living somewhere for whatever reason, does it really matter though at the end of the day we are all only human i often make spelling mistakes on here and if i see them and realise i have made a mistake i will change it but if i dont see it i would prefer not to be reprimanded like a schoolgirl it actually reminds me a bit of the bantering and bickering that goes on in Parliment.....

My views on NZ as this is what the thread was actually about and they are my views is that people being high on P and other drugs can often be at the root of things like this that poor man in Auckland and others that it has happened to it must be just so devastating for the families left behind and as someone said with the mans body being left undercover while forensics did their job would be unbearable.

I have lived in NZ for 31yrs and my opinion is that it is getting worse and that the criminals are the ones that seem to have all the perks...I believe that prisons all over New Zealand should have a lock down one day a year and open the prisons to the general public or send the TV cameras in, after all we are paying for this so lets see exactly where our money is going...

I would bet that they live better lives in prison than some kiwis on the outside do with no stress of where their next meal is coming from and how will they pay next months power bill (of course they dont have a power bill to worry about because you and I are going to pay for it through the tax system)

This is where govenrment needs to get the balls to bring the prisons back to basics. A bare room with a bed and 4 walls to contemplate the crime that they have commited (this would happen in a perfect world but we aren't living in a perfect world are we) But then i guess the human rights thing would come into play, those poor prisoners have rights too well im sorry but I believe they gave away their rights when they commited the crime. So my belief is start at the bottom forget the death penalty for now and make life inside what it should be.

I also feel that things will get worse with the mentality of some of todays younger crowd have you ever been out late at night to pick up a takeaway im talking at around 11.30 - midnight time. I have and its extremely intimidating, theses kids and they are very young are drinking their heads off and using goodness knows what else and they really dont care...I sat behind a car in McDonalds last weekend and there were these 2 girls hanging out the back windows of the car and the noise they were making was indescribable it sounded like a cat stuck in in a doorway and they were totally off their faces and teenagers were walking along the road carrying boxes of beer. I was really freaked out and locked my car doors the atmosphere was like something was going to kick off any minute and if it had i had no where to go as i was stuck in a McDonalds drive through..And inside it was worse the place was full of kids off their faces....

My question is what are these kids going to be like as adults, we all used to go out and have a good time as teenegers often having too much to drink but nothing like what im seeing today these kids are binge drinking and smoking and taking whatever drugs because they are easy to get nowadays we are allowing a culture to grow and the bottom line is these kids are going to munt their brains and lots will turn into crims because society wont want to employ them.

My apologies if i have rambled on here, there are so many vairables of why there is so much crime but that the bottom line is that there is no deterent to not be in jail. I have seen the tv programs where the drug smugglers or whatever are in the jails overseas are living in basic accomodation thats what we need over here the people that they attack rob or whatever have had their basic human rights taken away so why not the crims...............
Cheers
Cally
Oh dear Cally u will be upsetting the happy clappers on here if u say anything untoward about N.Z. I for one agree with u the kids in N.Z. are equally as bad as regards drugs etc. As i have said before the crime rate per capita is shocking for N.Z.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
Cally

Wow, thanks, a reply thats on the topic.I agree with you.

Another stabbing murder last night in Invercargill.
Not bad for a country of 4 million.
Old Sep 27th 2008, 12:17 am
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: NZ has gone to the dogs...

Originally Posted by Browner_
Wow, thanks, a reply thats on the topic.I agree with you.

Another stabbing murder last night in Invercargill.
Not bad for a country of 4 million.
Thanks i think sometimes things easily get off topic on here and its possibly because people write one thing off topic and then someone replies and off it goes they each reply to each other forgetting what the whole thing was about in the first place..Human nature i guess.

Oh my i didnt know there was another murder last night in Invercargill its becoming a weekly thing isnt it would be very interesting to see the statistics on the people that comit these crimes as to just how many are on drugs....
I really like the idea of the prison open day though even if it was just open to the cameras mind you the problem then is they tend to glamorise things and only show what they like....

Hope everyone has a nice weekend meant to rain here in Nelson tonight but hey we have to take what comes its a bit hard to change the weather lol.
Cheers
Cally
Old Sep 27th 2008, 2:58 am
Forum Regular

keznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud of

I agree with you Cally, very good points you have put up.

The forum should be used for information, questions and answers that offer support rather than flippancy.

The crime is more recgonised here due to the populatio of the country. If we had the population of Britain then we would not have everything scrutinised by the media.
NZ has got its problems but it is not individual to other countries.

As for the prisons, yep I would agree get the media in there. They are like Butlins holiday camps. But in my experience these guys here arent terrorists like they think they are, sad individuals who think they are and are very much a product of a very native upbringing.

Lets get back to basics here and offer the information and support to those that need it instead of sitting on here with a denomic possession to slate everything and everyones point of view.

NZ offers somebody something and for those that want to make the transistion I for one will be one to help. It isnt for everyone
Old Sep 27th 2008, 3:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Oh dear Cally u will be upsetting the happy clappers on here if u say anything untoward about N.Z. I for one agree with u the kids in N.Z. are equally as bad as regards drugs etc. As i have said before the crime rate per capita is shocking for N.Z.
And did you see another stabbing in Hokitika last night! School ball after function got out of control.......http://www.odt.co.nz/news/national/2...-ball039-party
And as for the happy clappers well i guess it takes all sorts i just believe that everyone has the right to ask questions about anything they need to know about or offer advice without the chance of getting blown out of the water by someone that decides to take offence at someone elses point of view wether it be spelling or wether the wind is blowing the right way or if i have put a comma in the correct place.
I have a thick skin though and i love helping people out if i can and so here i am take me as i am lol.........
Cheers
Cally

Last edited by cally49; Sep 27th 2008 at 3:09 am.
Old Sep 27th 2008, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keznjj
The crime is more recgonised here due to the populatio of the country.
As the husband of an ED Nurse, take it from me, you don't hear the half of it.
Old Sep 27th 2008, 7:18 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately what we see a lot on here lately is a lot of bickering and picking on people for bad gramar spelling mistakes and the like
Just for the record, I was picking up the column writer the poster had quoted and linked to for bad spelling, not the poster!
Old Sep 27th 2008, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

The lack of visual contact on here allows things to be picked up and taken the wrong way,please lets all be a bit more tolerant..remember there is a poor man lying dead, and a family wishing they had there husband/father back,lets not waste time bickering who knows how long any of us has left on this earth,you will never get precious wasted time back again..just my opinion...Jacky
Old Sep 30th 2008, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like maybe Norwich has gone to the dogs as well.

A rather similar event to the one in Auckland...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/7642745.stm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.