Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ has gone to the dogs...

NZ has gone to the dogs...

Old Sep 26th 2008, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ has gone to the dogs...

Originally Posted by crap coffee
I am not a weather whinging person.

The UK isn't as windy as Wellington. You are not living in Welly so you can't tell/imagine how windy here is

Cold, cloud, grey, rain is all right. BUt. Windy (50 km/h) You'd find difficult to walk on the street. I am literally blown away - maybe it's my personal problem, mate. I am so tiny, so it's my fault
You do seem to get the rough end of the weather:-

Welly Month to date
to Fri 26 September
Min temp: 2 °C
Max temp: 17 °C
Rainfall: 134.4 mm

Where we are:-
Sunny Hawkes Bay Month to date
to Fri 26 September
Min temp: 0 °C
Max temp: 25 °C
Rainfall: 25.2 mm

It's been Shorts & Tee Shirts all week
Old Sep 26th 2008, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick2007
I think iam moving back to settle in Wellington. But not if it gets grey and cloudy though.
oohhhhh

mate, I actually thought about "Liverpool" and what you've said here ...on my way home. and asked myself.....Do I want to live there ? hell no. I'd rather be in Windy Welly
Old Sep 26th 2008, 9:28 am
Banned

Scouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really nice

I think iam moving back to settle in Wellington. But not if it gets grey and cloudy though.
Quite - if you don't like grey and cloudy, you'd best stay in sunny Liverpool eh?

Seriously though - what happened to that poor guy in the CBD was terrible - and the whole country is angry about it. Compare that to what happened to a colleague of mine in London in 1998. He'd had to sack someone, and when he left work at 5:30, the guy was waiting for him and stabbed him. Luckily (and it was just luck) he survived, although he was off work for nearly a year and has never got back to normal mentally. (The guy who stabbed him got a fine and community service.... ) His story didn't even make the news. The difference is that here it's still the exception rather than the rule. That said, NZ must look at places like the UK and learn from what's happened/is happening there.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Patrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to all

oohhhhh

mate, I actually thought about "Liverpool" and what you've said here ...on my way home. and asked myself.....Do I want to live there ? hell no. I'd rather be in Windy Welly
So long as Welly is windy,grey,cloudy and not too hot like sweaty Auckland it sounds like my kind of place. The climate is similar to Liverpool by the sounds.............tempting......not to get me C.V.out
Old Sep 26th 2008, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Patrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Scouse Dave
Quite - if you don't like grey and cloudy, you'd best stay in sunny Liverpool eh?

Seriously though - what happened to that poor guy in the CBD was terrible - and the whole country is angry about it. Compare that to what happened to a colleague of mine in London in 1998. He'd had to sack someone, and when he left work at 5:30, the guy was waiting for him and stabbed him. Luckily (and it was just luck) he survived, although he was off work for nearly a year and has never got back to normal mentally. (The guy who stabbed him got a fine and community service.... ) His story didn't even make the news. The difference is that here it's still the exception rather than the rule. That said, NZ must look at places like the UK and learn from what's happened/is happening there.
Hurrah a sensible poster for once Dave iam coming back,and we are running for Parliament. U will have to come to Welly though stuff Auckland full of weirdos.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

grey? hmmm... yes. in winter time. feeling horrible too. I feel worse when it gets cloudy, damp and dark - with such a weather condition, I usually have headaches when I get up in the morning. if it's rains actually I feel (rather) better.

BUt the wind ......oh man. What can you do about it? today I really thought about this. Okay... I won't go out (any more) somewhere far (apart from work) on an extremly windy day like today. going to grocery? absolutely No. I'd rather starve at home than walking in horrible wind. The problem is that I am not allowed to take a car to work, so? I have to walk any way..........:curse: The best solution is.... if you have a car, take your car to whereever you go (on a windy day) if you can. Otherwise stay home!@

Last edited by crap coffee; Sep 26th 2008 at 9:54 am.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 9:40 am
BE Enthusiast

grey? hmmm... yes. in winter time. feeling horrible too. I feel worse when it gets gloudy, damp and dark - with such a weather condition, I usually have headaches when I get up in the morning. if it's raining actually it's (rather) better.

BUt the wind ......oh man. What can you do about it? today I really thought about this. Okay... I won't go out (any more) somewhere far (apart from work) on a extremly windy day like today. going to grocery? absolutely No. I'd rather starve at home than walking in horrible wind. The problem is that I am not allowed to take a car to work, so? I have to walk any way..........:curse: The best solution is.... if you have a car, take your car to whereever you go if you can. Otherwise stay home!@
Thats terrible i must have been spoiled in sub-tropical Auckland. I have heard a few tales about "windy Welly". Suppose its ok if u like flying kites!!. Its spring there i thought the weather would be getting warmer?
Old Sep 26th 2008, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Its spring there i thought the weather would be getting warmer?

hell no.

september and October is the roughest months in Welly

In general, September is just kind of what we call "very bad weather" - just makes you miserable enough.

October? As I've mentioned here previously.. lots' of rain!

Novemeber. - start getting warm a bit. with a bit of sunny

Decemeber - Especailly on X mas day. - obviously I do remember.... me and my bro.... when we were younger in Welly.. (I know you don't want to believe this...but) we always turned the heater on and wearing the fleece - strange eh? the weather is usually bad around x mas. - rain /cold etc

Do you know how many layers I had worn today? 8 layers (as always) scarf, thick winter jacket, hat, a thick woolen t-shirt, a cotton hoodie, a cotton shirt, another cotton T shirt, and three layers of cotton underwares. What more can I say

Last edited by crap coffee; Sep 26th 2008 at 10:36 am.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 9:46 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
My first thoughts weren't - what's happening to New Zealand?
They were for the man who was murdered, his wife, his children and for the lady who was assaulted. It's so so sad.
I heard on the news at about lunchtime that his body was still at the scene while forensic work was carried out. Can you imagine being his family, waiting all that time, knowing he was still there. It's heartbreaking.
I had started to write something similar (this is no place for a love/hate NZ thread) but didn't because I was afraid that some people might think I was trying to bury what happened. It doesn't seem to have mattered anyway and you're absolutely right Laura. Shame on all of us who didn't say it.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

hell no.

september and October is the roughest months in Welly

In general, September is just kind of what we call "very bad weather" - just makes you miserable enough.

October? As I've mentioned here previously.. lots' of rain!

Novemeber. - start getting warm a bit. with a bit of sunny

Decemeber - Especailly on X mas day. - obviously I do remember.... me and my bro.... when we were younger in Welly.. (I know you don't want to believe this...but) we always turned the heater on and wearing the fleece - strange eh? the weather is usually bad around x mas. - rain /cold etc

Do you know how many layers I had wear today? 8 layers (as always) scarf, thick winter jacket, hat, woolen t-shirt, a cotton shirt, another cotton T shirt, and tree layers of cotton underwares. What more can I say
Iam starting to like this all the more haha. Tell me have they got round the heating problem yet? There houses in Auckland were cold,i believe they have Gas in Welly is that true? Central heating still a no-no?
Old Sep 26th 2008, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Iam starting to like this all the more haha. Tell me have they got round the heating problem yet? There houses in Auckland were cold,i believe they have Gas in Welly is that true? Central heating still a no-no?
Gas ? in Welly?

We lived in Brooklyn(close to central Welly) for 8 years. the house was about 100 years old when my parents bought. an old lady died there alone and nobody knew for a while (months and months) It was scary horrible (dirty old) ghost house but my parents decided to buy it to rent out. but we eneded up living there after some rennovations. There was no gas first time, but my parents sorted it out and so we used the Gas heater while living there but it wasn't very effective I have to say. still very cold and damp. You really can't do much with the dirty old house though you make a huge effort to change it. the house was resonably well insulated to compare other crap houses but. I felt terribly cold while living there. windy? oh no. It's very noisy too (you know what's like - something like ghost sounds) when it gets windy because it's top of the hill.

It depends which area you live in. Not everywhere gas is available (I am not sure about this now - these days??) we were lucky enough that we could get the gas in Brooklyn. But. still power fees were $150~200 month in winter time + Gas (?) :curse: It wasn't cheap

(gas) with Central heating? I even asked my parents about this matter when I was young - because we were freezing .then mum said .......ohh...no no no.no. Central Heating is not allowed! Because it's bloody dangerous. Just having a (Rinnai) gas heater in living room, that's it. but we used the electric heaters each bedrooms - It was very very cold after all. I've had enough coooooooooooooooooooold /crap house :curse:

99.9% people in Welly don't have central heating.

Last edited by crap coffee; Sep 26th 2008 at 10:41 am.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 10:26 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

some people need to get out more
Old Sep 26th 2008, 10:28 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

There was someone murdered in Wanganui too, gone to the dogs is right. Hate N.Z. thread my backside see what i mean about posters on here with heads in sand? Lets put some nice lemon tree pictures or snow and all be nice. Get real N.Z.per capita is a violent dangerous place wake up.
Why are you coming here then duhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old Sep 26th 2008, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Gas ? in Welly?

We lived in Brooklyn(close to central Welly) for 8 years. the house was about 100 years old when my parents bought. an old lady died there alone and nobody knew for a while (months and months) It was scary horrible (dirty old) ghost house but my parents decided to buy it to rent out. but we eneded up living there after some rennovations. There was no gas first time, but my parents sorted it out and so we used the Gas heater while living there but it wasn't very effective I have to say. still very cold and damp. You really can't do much with the dirty old house though you make a huge effort to change it. the house was resonably well insulated to compare other crap houses but. I felt terribly cold while living there. windy? oh no. It's very noisy too (you know what's like - something like ghost sounds) when it gets windy because it's top of the hill.

It depends which area you live in. Not everywhere gas is available (I am not sure now - these days??) we were lucky that we could get the gas in Brooklyn. But. still power fees were $200 month in winter time + Gas :curse: It wasn't cheap

(gas) with Central heating? I even asked my parents about this matter when I was young - because we were freezing .then mum said .......ohh...no no no.no. Central Heating is not allowed! Because it's bloody dangerous. Just having a (Rinnai) gas heater in living room, that's it. but we used the electric heaters each bedrooms - It was very very cold after all. I've had enough coooooooooooooooooooold /crap house :curse:

99.9% people in Welly don't have central heating.
Must make a note of that.....no central heating....buy more thermals....right. Either or i wont be going back to Auckland thats for sure. I thought i saw a programme on T.V. once were there was a gas fire in Welly. I must have been mistaken.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

I thought i saw a programme on T.V. once were there was a gas fire in Welly. I must have been mistaken.
Gas Fire?

Ok. before moving to Brooklyn we previously lived in Papakowahi (for 2.5 years) and it was a (3 years old) new house. yes! There was a Gas fire!@ again it was in the lounge. therefore I was freezing in my bedroom/kitchen/bathroom/coridor . also we discovered that the gas fire didn't work very well - switches etc. It wasn't user friendly - kind of crap. and wasn't convenient either. so largely I remember we rarely (sometimes) used the gas fire . the electric heater mostly used. . It was a very big house (5 bedrooms) so cold cold cold.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.