Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ Flights through LAX/SFO

NZ Flights through LAX/SFO

Old Mar 14th 2009, 10:34 pm
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute
Default NZ Flights through LAX/SFO

Hi all,
Wor's about to book my flight to Auckland and I need to give some guidelines...
I've already established I want to fly through the US due to the much higher luggage allowance...
Can you let me know of your experiences? Is LAX a good airport to transit through? Am so used to the showers/foodcourts & massages in Singapore that I think I'll be disappointed...
Although, do I clear immigration n custom in LAX? Will my bag go straight through?
Thanks guys!!
Old Mar 14th 2009, 11:07 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ Flights through LAX/SFO

Can you let me know of your experiences? Is LAX a good airport to transit through? Am so used to the showers/foodcourts & massages in Singapore that I think I'll be disappointed...
Yes you will be disappointed

I've travelled via LAX three times now to and from NZ and it is not the most thrilling of experiences.
If you're just in transit [I assume going on AirNZ1] the plane will land, you get off and queue up to go through immigration and get your passport stamped. The immigration bit is part of the room that you will then stay in, you are not free to wander round the airport. There are toilets though not sure about showers and you get free tea, coffee, fruit, crisps and biscuits. You don't go anywhere near your bags as I think they stay on the plane. In fact you can usually see the plane the whole time you are there!
You are then shepherded back onto the same plane about 2 hours later.

It isn't really a break as you spend a lot of time queueing up and getting frustrated at how pointless it all is-after all you can't escape anywhere:curse:

having said that it isn't too bad and worth it for the extra baggage allowance Enjoy the flight

Sue
Old Mar 15th 2009, 3:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Matewx
Hi all,
Wor's about to book my flight to Auckland and I need to give some guidelines...
I've already established I want to fly through the US due to the much higher luggage allowance...
Although, do I clear immigration n custom in LAX? Will my bag go straight through?
Thanks guys!!
I think Singapore and the NZ/LAX terminal are two opposite ends of the airport terminal facility spectrum
Old Mar 15th 2009, 4:09 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

We've done LAX three times and didn't find it that bad. Yes, it does seem stupid to have to queue and go through USA immigration especially as you're only going to the transit lounge to get back on the same plane but you're only on the ground for around 90mins, get free drinks, snacks, TV. If you are travelling with children you will get fast-tracked through.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

San Fran has the nicer airport, but then again I have never done in it transit, if you could stop there for a few days would make things much nicer!!