British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   NZ a failed nation? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/nz-failed-nation-661944/)

Genesis Mar 30th 2010 10:45 pm

NZ a failed nation?

The NZ Institute says today that NZ is failing as a nation. There are some horendous stats coming out of their report (google it). I would seriously consider not coming to NZ just now if I was starting out the process I did just under six years ago. I would look at Oz or Canada. I love NZ and have our roots too well set to consider a move at present..who knows Oz may well beckon in the coming years as we will soon be citizens of NZ.

I have no axe to grind. Inspite of the fiscal problems NZ's crap fiscal regulators have wrought upon us we have a superb quality of life here, Kate has a glowing career in senior palliative care and our kids are incredibly happy. Thus we are content here and we want for nothing, but I am soooo glad my kids can go to Oz if need be or can return to europe some day for a brighter future.

I really think NZ is looking at a downward trend now in terms of the quality of life here. I think the kiwi $$ will steadily lose value over the coming months as NZ will be seen to be a risky place to invest..a bit like a rudderless boat. All we need is a dairy disaster and NZ will be all washed up. Think about your options aye?

I am not being dark or wishing to start a flare thread...just telling you what I hear on the news. The rest is up to you.

Robbo25 Mar 30th 2010 11:06 pm

Re: NZ a failed nation?

I have just looked at the article (http://tvnz.co.nz/business-news/nz-g...k-tank-3441280) and I don't read it as a failing nation but as yet another think tanks view of the world.

If you looked at all the ones for the UK then there would be people boarding life rafts.

Just one groups view of the world and there'll be many others that say otherwise, as you have said before, just go for what suits you as an individual or family at the time.

Genesis Mar 30th 2010 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by Robbo25 (Post 8461319)
I have just looked at the article (http://tvnz.co.nz/business-news/nz-g...k-tank-3441280) and I don't read it as a failing nation but as yet another think tanks view of the world.

If you looked at all the ones for the UK then there would be people boarding life rafts.

Just one groups view of the world and there'll be many others that say otherwise, as you have said before, just go for what suits you as an individual or family at the time.

I take your point but some people do have a bit of a niave idea about NZ (I certainly did!!) and this removes the rosy specs aye? I am not arranging flights back to the UK because of this. However I remember the emigree who lambasted the likes of us already here for not warning them about the issues that prevail in NZ that irked her so much she had to leave. I tried to get together a pot of money for her as we had let her down quite badly...yeah right!! Caveat emptor is what I say.

This is just more info for those fact finding. I think NZ is getting worse for what its worth. The reason I can stay is simply because NZ has exceeded our expectations from a quality of life issue, also because its so sparsely popultated is worth so much to me, life is almost stress free here the population is so low. However one wonders how long it will be before shit starts landing on my doorstep.....food for thought.

Justcol Mar 30th 2010 11:46 pm

Havent read the article but while there are faults down here
i still see it as a better place to live than the UK.
NZ is still trying to catch up to the rest of the world with technology
but the mental attitude of its people holds it back far more than and fiscal
or social policy.
They need to concentrate on being new zealand and not constantly comparing
themselves to Australia.
I can see us moving across to OZ at some point in the future.

The institute gave New Zealand a D for seven of the 16 measures: innovation and business sophistication; labour productivity; household wealth; inequality; assault mortality; and for two environmental measures
Backs up the backward little poor country image so many have

Genesis Mar 30th 2010 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by colandros (Post 8461387)
Havent read the article but while there are faults down here
i still see it as a better place to live than the UK.
NZ is still trying to catch up to the rest of the world with technology
but the mental attitude of its people holds it back far more than and fiscal
or social policy.
They need to concentrate on being new zealand and not constantly comparing
themselves to Australia.
I can see us moving across to OZ at some point in the future.

I too am waaaaay happier here than in the UK. Whilst I have nostalic pangs for England I could not return to live UNLESS 60 million left. I see NZ as a way better place to bring up my kids. But I am very glad we have an escape route to Oz once we get citizenship. I am not saying we will go it just depends if and when some of this crap that is ongoing starts affecting us daily like it did in Northampton we will do one. We will have to go to Tazzy as the rest of Oz would not meet our requirements. IE not too hot, too big and no snakes (Kate).

OzzieGunner Mar 31st 2010 12:06 am

I lived in Auckland for 7 years both my wife and I had excellent careers but ultimately the pull of Oz was too much and we moved to Melbourne in 2000. I couldn't help but notice that from the 3 or 4 posters on this thread (so far), 2 are also talking of moving to Oz despite seemingly being content in NZ. I think NZ may always struggle while bigger, richer, warmer Oz welcomes kiwis into the fold so easily. Perhaps it would be in NZ's best interest if Australia stopped the open arrangement and productive New Zealanders stayed put. Just food for thought.

I must also say that moving to Australia was the best move for our family.

Pete

Genesis Mar 31st 2010 12:11 am

Originally Posted by OzzieGunner (Post 8461426)
I lived in Auckland for 7 years both my wife and I had excellent careers but ultimately the pull of Oz was too much and we moved to Melbourne in 2000. I couldn't help but notice that from the 3 or 4 posters on this thread (so far), 2 are also talking of moving to Oz despite seemingly being content in NZ. I think NZ may always struggle while bigger, richer, warmer Oz welcomes kiwis into the fold so easily. Perhaps it would be in NZ's best interest if Australia stopped the open arrangement and productive New Zealanders stayed put. Just food for thought.

I must also say that moving to Australia was the best move for our family.

Pete

I would not move to Oz now as everyone in my family is content. The kids are like pigs in muck, Kate's career is just humming along, the kids are excelling at school and we have the house and neighbourhood of our dreams. I would only move to Oz personally if lots of shit hit OUR fan and the quality of OUR lives went down hill like it did in Northampton. I prefer NZ over Oz...now. It might change.

AndyR Mar 31st 2010 1:43 am

The people that are moving to Oz, have you actually been and spent a long time there before?

Personally we did. Tried to emigrate to Oz, was there for a year and tried a few cities and just couldn't stand the place. Personally, take the Ozzies out of Oz and it would be alright (except for the bugs) but that is what crippled it for us. I'd never met so many rude, backward and racist people in my life as I did in 1 year in Oz.

Coming to NZ was a breath of fresh air for us and I think if the time ever comes where we have to leave NZ, I really would pick the UK over Oz.

Totally loving NZ, less stress, less rush, things SOOOOO much easier to sort out, much friendlier, better food, better weather, overall its great!

crap coffee Mar 31st 2010 3:42 am

to sum up, Kiwis are poor, poor Just POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOr! We end up being poor once you get here.............:frown: But did you not know it before moving out anyway? I knew... so I gotta accept...whatever

If I ever have to immigrate to other countries, it should be Canada, or just staying in the UK. I would Never Bother moving to NZ personally.... Only reason I returned to NZ,,, was because this is sort of my second home. and I do know how to sturvive here...without too much frustration.

All I know is NZ will survive no matter what the circumstances. Don't worry.

Seriously, If NZ IS a failed nation or going to fail.. then I would definitely leave this country.

Kiwiprincess Mar 31st 2010 4:47 am

The NZ Institute is essentially a think tank provided/supported by business.

Nothing really wrong with that on its own. But it does present a particular view of the country and yes it will be focused on development and - particularly - NZ in comparison to Australia. Catching up with Australia is a key Key proposal.

Interestingly, one thing that used to stop some NZ companies going to Australia is the more restrictive (Australian) labour market in respect of unionism and award rates. Quite interesting that - I'm not sure it's quite relevant but it's something that is rarely discussed by such a group. Any such group really. Even now, it's quite interesting how some jobs are quite strictly organised by unions and/or associations. Just interesting that's all.

Justcol Mar 31st 2010 4:48 am

We migrated to oz many years ago and didnt like it.
We went back last year for the first time in 16 years and loved it.
the place has changed so much it was hard to recognise it as the same country.
We are different people now than the young and niave folk we were when
we lwent to oz. I was only in my 20's and wanted different things from life then
compared to now.
its not about being poor or what i can earn, NZ can be a very bland place, so
much so that NZ makes OZ look cultured which is saying something.

crap coffee Mar 31st 2010 5:00 am

Originally Posted by colandros (Post 8461823)
we lwent to oz. I was only in my 20's and wanted different things from life then
compared to now.

oh really? I was there 2000~2001. am sure things should be different now .... I might go and have look again tho,,, on my way to UK..next time - especially Melbourne area. but really, don't think I'd live there again. if I ever get bored (but I don't think so - Oz isn't necessarily more exciting to me...) or nothing to do here,,, then its time to head back to the UK .. not Oz..

think I can get most of things what I need in my daily life here soo.. I am sort of content .. seriously not too bad... But things make me sad is...I can't get involved with some academic people/musicians...(ie- hard to attend overseas conferences) so... its less challenging to be here... but all depends on... What You Need and Want. My Prof (Pom) told me the other day - its nothing wrong with living in NZ...

yes, NZ is bland. very VERY! but this place can be good for kids, elderlies, or sick people like myself - its SAFE at least. plus without extreme weather scenarios. All we need to worry about is earthquakes.

I enjoy walking alone at night in Welly - I often go to NW at night time. but can't do that if I lived in the US, UK, or even Oz. I FELT UNSAFE in Sydney.

Genesis Mar 31st 2010 6:22 am

Originally Posted by colandros (Post 8461823)
compared to now.

I would never call NZ bland meself. Full of shite in many many ways but not bland. Northampton and Ilford..they are bland along with Milton Keynes and a few others in the locale I could mention. NZ does lack historical buildings I grant you..but bland?? Nah IMO.

crap coffee Mar 31st 2010 6:30 am

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 8461963)
I would never call NZ bland meself. Full of shite in many many ways but not bland. Northampton and Ilford..they are bland along with Milton Keynes and a few others in the locale I could mention. NZ does lack historical buildings I grant you..but bland?? Nah IMO.

seriously though what on earth does 'heritage/historical buildings' have to do with the day-to-day quality of life? :rofl:

Justcol Mar 31st 2010 8:17 am

If you like/enjoy history (like me) then it means a lot
It gives a place a sence of presence. Usually with history you get culture
and with culture you get different views and attitudes, a cosmopolitan feel
to a place.
Look at the great cities around the world and see how varied their populations
and cultures are. Notice how each culture has its own sence of belonging and
roots in that city. Then look at somewhere like auckland, it has NOTHING,
no history, no culture and its only claim to fame is the sky tower.
Wellington is better but it still falls short of similar cities around the world.
Dont get me wrong i like nz but it could be so much better.