Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ a failed nation?

NZ a failed nation?

Old Mar 31st 2010, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: NZ a failed nation?

NZ is a wired place, can't figure it out.

Outwardly ok but on closer inspection there is something missing.It does have history but not as I understand it, it's like basic living with no intellectual stimulation. The culture is a mixture of Maori and some kind of Redneck.

In the UK you can buy yourself away from the scum but not here it infests all suburbs good or bad. It's accepted by Mr kiwi his son will drive up his road laying tyre marks everywhere, and it's accepted here in CHCH. The Police are totaly useless or not bothered to stop it. It's low level criminal behavior that is de rigueur.

The population seems to be delusional, when I tell them I am leaving they fail to understand any where could be preferable to NZ (they have bought in to the lie that NZ is the best place in the world, who was it who said the bigger the lie the more people believe)

We are sat in a nice apartment in CHCH and all I can hear are twxts speeding up the dam roads.

To all prospective immigrants, if you like the simple life and come from a shit place in the UK it might be ok.

CHC is CRASS not CLASS.
Old Mar 31st 2010, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mcuddy1

Outwardly ok but on closer inspection there is something missing.It does have history but not as I understand it, it's like basic living with no intellectual stimulation. The culture is a mixture of Maori and some kind of Redneck.

In the UK you can buy yourself away from the scum but not here it infests all suburbs good or bad. It's accepted by Mr kiwi his son will drive up his road laying tyre marks everywhere, and it's accepted here in CHCH. The Police are totaly useless or not bothered to stop it. It's low level criminal behavior that is de rigueur.

The population seems to be delusional, when I tell them I am leaving they fail to understand any where could be preferable to NZ (they have bought in to the lie that NZ is the best place in the world, who was it who said the bigger the lie the more people believe)

We are sat in a nice apartment in CHCH and all I can hear are twxts speeding up the dam roads.

To all prospective immigrants, if you like the simple life and come from a shit place in the UK it might be ok.

CHC is CRASS not CLASS.
Why not try someone else in NZ?

We were based in Auckland City for a few months to start with and hated it. Noisy, people everywhere, boy racers screeching around at all hours. Moved to the North Shore (Takapuna) and its soooo much nicer. Quiet evenings, no boy racers yet, much nicer.
Old Mar 31st 2010, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
I would never call NZ bland meself. Full of shite in many many ways but not bland. Northampton and Ilford..they are bland along with Milton Keynes and a few others in the locale I could mention. NZ does lack historical buildings I grant you..but bland?? Nah IMO.
Ilford - the @rse-end of Essex (I should know, I was born and bred there but defected to Romford when I grew up )
Old Mar 31st 2010, 10:26 am
Lord of The Pies

teeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to behold

A failed nation? Rubbish - a 'C' is a pass where I come from.....

I have to admit, as an outsider, I reckon that I'm not best placed to make a judgement (yet), but I can remember standing in the centre of Auckland during our visit getting very angry with a poster proclaiming that a "Think Tank" was sitting to address the issues the country was facing with all the kinds of things that are only important to middle managers. It seemed to fly in the face of all the attitudes I'd encountered throughout the North Island and was being done more because of a "Well, the rest of the world are doing this, so it must be right" train of thought.

NZ is what it is, with all it's limitations and faults. There's no doubt it will - like everywhere else - evolve to become better in some ways and worse in others. But as long as you're somewhere that - as Genesis quite rightly put it - is stopping too much shit hitting your own personal fan, then I reckon you're not doing that badly at all.

The best place (for me), I've ever lived was Carolina, where elderly pick-ups were the norm, people didn't look down on you for residing in a wooden shack, your job didn't matter if it paid the bills and nobody could work out - and didn't really care -if the suicide rate was abnormally high or if it was just a particularly unrefined batch of moonshine doing the rounds. I'm hoping to find this level of uncomplication - along with a few more creature comforts for SWMBO, more rugby and good group of mates to enjoy it with - wherever I end up.

Looking back at what I've just typed, I actually sound a bit like that redneck mcuddy1 was warning you all about. So if you wake up one morning to the sound of banjo music coming from a sofa on next doors' front porch, come round and say "Howdy y'all" to your new neighbour.
Old Mar 31st 2010, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldn't move to Australia - watch out for global warming. predictions for Australia are not good
Old Mar 31st 2010, 11:36 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm, with all this global warming the UK got its coldest winter in 30yrs
Old Mar 31st 2010, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonsi
Hmmm, with all this global warming the UK got its coldest winter in 30yrs
Yes, global warming basically means more extreme weather situations - but my posting above was a joke anyway - just pointing to the quality of predictions
Old Mar 31st 2010, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

ibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud of

All we need is a dairy disaster and NZ will be all washed up.
Even if it happens, you still won't be hungry. In this case we may start eating concrete walls and computers here in Europe (or even each other ).

TBH, in future I am more much more confident with NZ than Europe. Sun does not shine all the time here either.
Old Mar 31st 2010, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

It's interesting how folks seem to be either for NZ or for Oz. And, really, I think the two places are quite different. I would say that Oz is more American in outlook and NZ more British, although you wouldn't know that from the television. I must say I found Oz a lot more exciting than NZ and differ from many as I found it very cultured. We lived in Perth for many years and can honestly say we saw more European movies and more about other parts of Europe than we ever saw in the UK. I also loved the bush, the red earth and the scenery in Western Australia and spend many happy times there.

However, here we are, and I've grown to like NZ, especially the North Island. I think it's good that we have Oz nearby, as it gives folks somewhere to go if they want a change from NZ.

As for the NZ economy, I think we are all going to see hard times in the future and it won't simply be one country which will tke the brunt. The Western world is going through many changes and perhaps things will not be so prosperous as they've been in the past. But, we still got some great Oz and NZ reds to console ourselves with.
Old Mar 31st 2010, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mcuddy1

CHC is CRASS not CLASS.

Whilst all what you sat is true where you are there are pockets of suburbia even in lowly Palmy where you can live a very peaceful quiet existance. I have to say that even when I venture into town things are always quiet on the boy racer front. Ther are not as many out and about here in Palmy these days.
Old Mar 31st 2010, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teeym
A failed nation? Rubbish - a 'C' is a pass where I come from.....

I have to admit, as an outsider, I reckon that I'm not best placed to make a judgement (yet), but I can remember standing in the centre of Auckland during our visit getting very angry with a poster proclaiming that a "Think Tank" was sitting to address the issues the country was facing with all the kinds of things that are only important to middle managers. It seemed to fly in the face of all the attitudes I'd encountered throughout the North Island and was being done more because of a "Well, the rest of the world are doing this, so it must be right" train of thought.

NZ is what it is, with all it's limitations and faults. There's no doubt it will - like everywhere else - evolve to become better in some ways and worse in others. But as long as you're somewhere that - as Genesis quite rightly put it - is stopping too much shit hitting your own personal fan, then I reckon you're not doing that badly at all.

The best place (for me), I've ever lived was Carolina, where elderly pick-ups were the norm, people didn't look down on you for residing in a wooden shack, your job didn't matter if it paid the bills and nobody could work out - and didn't really care -if the suicide rate was abnormally high or if it was just a particularly unrefined batch of moonshine doing the rounds. I'm hoping to find this level of uncomplication - along with a few more creature comforts for SWMBO, more rugby and good group of mates to enjoy it with - wherever I end up.

Looking back at what I've just typed, I actually sound a bit like that redneck mcuddy1 was warning you all about. So if you wake up one morning to the sound of banjo music coming from a sofa on next doors' front porch, come round and say "Howdy y'all" to your new neighbour.
I love North Carolina..is that the carolina you refer too..awesome place.
Old Mar 31st 2010, 7:39 pm
Lord of The Pies

teeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to behold

I love North Carolina..is that the carolina you refer too..awesome place.
Certainly is! I've had my bit of the American dream and I doubt I'll ever go back to live, but I will forever hold very fond memories of the place and the people. Really a very nice place indeed.
Old Mar 31st 2010, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Certainly is! I've had my bit of the American dream and I doubt I'll ever go back to live, but I will forever hold very fond memories of the place and the people. Really a very nice place indeed.
Oh yes indeedy. I know Raleigh well..and Chapel Hill. Also visited the Outerbanks, Oriental and Okrekoke. I soooooo love that part of the US..totally real aye? Not your touristy bits. I have such fond memories of the place.
Old Mar 31st 2010, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold

See, America is THE PLACE I want to live over all others. Not matter how many times I have been I always totally love it, for better or for worse.

Just a shame the visa rules are so dam hard to get in with.

Oh well. BTW, anyone see Robin Williams comments about Australia on TVNZ this morning and then Paul (the presenters) comments back? Made me chuckle
Old Mar 31st 2010, 10:26 pm
Account Closed

Yotty is an unknown quantity at this point

A lot of POMS will never get the chance to sample OZ NZ Canada US ... I suppose we are lucky ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.