British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   NZ Expo (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/nz-expo-703836/)

pasturesnew Feb 4th 2011 10:24 pm

NZ Expo

Hello all,

Just noted that something called the 'Opportunities New Zealand Expo' is coming to my part of the world (NW England) this March - entrance fee = $32.00(NZ) per person.

JohnThePom Feb 9th 2011 6:32 am

Re: NZ Expo

It's an annual or twice annual thing. We were a bit disappointed with it (but we went twice anyway). Not that many real opportunities at the ones we went to, but plenty of agencies and financial companies touting for business.

We also found that the price dropped if you didn't book early... and you can pay at the door.

LukeandJo Feb 9th 2011 7:55 am

Good going on the heads up but like Down Under live its full of currency brokers, pension professionals, shippers and people trying to get you to spend your money on a service you probably dont need.

I was quite disappointed by Down Under live from what it was advertised as, to what it actually was.

I am sure it will help some people but there is alot of info on the web that comes for free.

pasturesnew Feb 9th 2011 9:11 am

Hello all,

Yes, I agree with the above sentiments, although I considered it appropriate highlighting the event on this forum, for those who may wish to attend. Should venue / date details be required, let me know and I shall post them here.

To be honest, if I were seriously looking to emigrate, then this forum would probably provide me with all the information I need, without strings attached.

Well done to all here I say.

BEVS Feb 10th 2011 12:06 am

Originally Posted by pasturesnew (Post 9163662)

To be honest, if I were seriously looking to emigrate, then this forum would probably provide me with all the information I need, without strings attached.

Why thank you. :) We've certainly a fair few good'uns here. :thumbup:

Expat Kiwi Feb 10th 2011 3:44 am

Originally Posted by pasturesnew (Post 9153087)
Hello all,

Just noted that something called the 'Opportunities New Zealand Expo' is coming to my part of the world (NW England) this March - entrance fee = $32.00(NZ) per person.

$66 just to go to an exhibition where all they try to do is sell you stuff? shouldn't this type of thing be free :unsure:

Oh well I guess it ensures that only those with money will attend and it keeps out the sightseers and tyre kickers.

JohnThePom Feb 10th 2011 7:03 am

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi (Post 9165989)
$66 just to go to an exhibition where all they try to do is sell you stuff? shouldn't this type of thing be free :unsure:

Oh well I guess it ensures that only those with money will attend and it keeps out the sightseers and tyre kickers.

Howdya get from $32 to $66?

Mind you £16 is a bit steep anyway IMHO. You do get a free notepad and pen though.

LukeandJo Feb 10th 2011 7:40 am

Originally Posted by pasturesnew (Post 9163662)

Fully agree!

Expat Kiwi Feb 10th 2011 8:46 am

Originally Posted by JohnThePom (Post 9166206)
Howdya get from $32 to $66?

Mind you £16 is a bit steep anyway IMHO. You do get a free notepad and pen though.

Shame there's no samples of NZ food and drink with that. Yeah....$32 dollars not pounds, I converted the conversion :rofl:

cookie2b Feb 10th 2011 11:48 am

Originally Posted by LukeandJo (Post 9163517)
I was quite disappointed by Down Under live from what it was advertised as, to what it actually was.

Second that....although we did get loads of pens and a frisby ;0) :rofl:

BEVS Feb 10th 2011 9:40 pm

Opportunities NZ Expo Linky for anyone interested in going.

We went to one in London way back 2002/2003 I think. At that time it had quite a bit of quality information and it was great to meet up with others who were also thinking to emigrate.

No idea what it would be like now and the price certainly seems to have gone up loads.

scrubbedexpat094 Feb 12th 2011 8:42 am

We went to one in Earl's Court in Oct 2004 which was absolutely excellent. NZIS was there giving seminars & advice. Lots of employers, mostly DHB's, teaching jobs but some businesses looking for people with engineering skills etc. Banks advertising their services were represented too & just a couple of removal companies & emigration co.'s. Both my OH (procurement) & myself (midwife) landed jobs from that event. We also acquired quite a few sweets too!

However, due to me we ping-ponged & ended up at another expo in 2006 in Manchester. It was very much smaller & not that worthwhile. I know that with the recession, employers are not spending money on these things now. Guess the outlay is not worth it in the current market.

Expat Kiwi, not much use to you in Oz but to others, look out for the TOAST NZ weekend in London. An excellent day out. Lots of Kiwi food & wine. We got to meet Dave Dobbyn & Hayley Westenra....though I was a bit sozzled when I had a 'chat' with Hayley :o

Expat Kiwi Feb 15th 2011 2:40 am

As a comparison there was an Oz Jobs expo in Auckland last weekend, admission price was $15 a ticket and well over 6,000 people turned up.

Did anyone go to it?

There were so many people that some of the recruitment companies ran out of forms but it was still a great success with loads of people being offered jobs on the spot.

Strange isn't it how Julia Gillard turns up on a state visit three days later? What with the Rebels and all do you get the feeling that the Aussies are moving-in on New Zealand?! :rofl: They know a good thing when they see it.