British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   NZ etiquette (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/nz-etiquette-871146/)

MrsFychan Jan 22nd 2016 10:00 pm

NZ etiquette

The Kiwi etiquette guide for travellers | Stuff.co.nz

LittleGreyCat Jan 22nd 2016 10:18 pm

Re: NZ etiquette

7 sheep each?
I like those odds.....

Justcol Jan 24th 2016 12:17 am

"The same goes for wearing pyjamas in public places. Don't judge. We're just casual as.

Not all of us, thank you very much !!

Hazelnut Jan 26th 2016 10:05 am

I was visiting a colleague at a different place of work yesterday. She said when they have 24/7 opening people sometimes come in wearing pyjamas if working there all night. First I've heard it over here and my immediate thought was they must have been *freezing* getting to and from the place.

Woodlea Jan 26th 2016 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by Hazelnut (Post 11848546)
I was visiting a colleague at a different place of work yesterday. She said when they have 24/7 opening people sometimes come in wearing pyjamas if working there all night. First I've heard it over here and my immediate thought was they must have been *freezing* getting to and from the place.

And the school run !!

Darlington head teacher tells parents to 'wash and get dressed' - BBC News

"Ms Chisholm said the final straw came when parents wore pyjamas to the Christmas show and to recent parents' evenings."

Charismatic Jan 27th 2016 5:10 am

In New Zealand when a new counter is opened by checkout staff a LIFO (last in is first out) system applies to the queue whereas players from the UK will be used to a FIFO (first in is first out) arrangement. It's important you don't play by the wrong rules or people will think you some sort of weirdo.

Bo-Jangles Jan 27th 2016 5:29 am

If you get bibbed for sitting daydreaming at a red traffic light for far longer than is acceptable after the light has changed to green - don't worry, one should simply stick one's arm out of the window and provide a two fingered salute to apologise for your tardiness.

LittleGreyCat Jan 27th 2016 5:17 pm

If you think that someone is leaning dangerously far out of a car window you should shout the warning "Pull ya neck in".
They will thank you effusively in the appropriate manner.

Gordon Barlow Jan 29th 2016 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 11849607)
If you get bibbed for sitting daydreaming at a red traffic light for far longer than is acceptable after the light has changed to green - don't worry, one should simply stick one's arm out of the window and provide a two fingered salute to apologise for your tardiness.

I'm reminded of the US expression "a New York minute", which means "a fraction of a second" - reckoned to be the period between when a traffic light turns green and the first toot of a horn from a car behind you.

scrubbedexpat094 Feb 3rd 2016 9:00 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 11849607)

It would be helpful if they didn't have the Formula 1 Grand Prix method of traffic light signals. It's a highly pressurized environment out on the streets of Auckland.:sneaky:

Bo-Jangles Feb 3rd 2016 9:37 am

Yes we definitely could make better use of the amber light so that everyone has a few seconds to prepare themselves to go on the B of the bang .... on your marks, get set the light's about to go green. :rofl:

LauraNotts Feb 4th 2016 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 11849601)
In New Zealand when a new counter is opened by checkout staff a LIFO (last in is first out) system applies to the queue whereas players from the UK will be used to a FIFO (first in is first out) arrangement. It's important you don't play by the wrong rules or people will think you some sort of weirdo.

Haha I feel guilty for the death stare I gave someone in the Warehouse the other day now. I love New Zealand but I do miss a good queue.