Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Are NZ employers always this slow??? - moved to main forum

Are NZ employers always this slow??? - moved to main forum

Old Mar 18th 2008, 9:03 am
Just Joined

kazzie is a jewel in the roughkazzie is a jewel in the roughkazzie is a jewel in the roughkazzie is a jewel in the roughkazzie is a jewel in the rough
Question Are NZ employers always this slow??? - moved to main forum

Hi, my hubby applied for a job 3 months ago. He has been contacted about immigration status etc and told the recruitment manager will be in touch. We still have not heard from him!!! We were told he travels alot for his job and it was taking some time to get through the applicants!! It is for a management position. We were wondering if the recruitment process is this lengthy for everyone, it is so frustrating living in limbo. We have the paperwork ready and cannot do much more until things look more positive and we get an offer letter. Is it a case of no news is good news, or do you think they have offered to someone else and waiting to see if it all goes through before rejecting others!!!!! Any one else applied for job through talent with accredited employer - work to residence - and had this long wait????????
Old Mar 18th 2008, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: Are NZ employers always this slow??? - moved to main forum

42 views and no reply. I'd conclude from that that maybe no one else has experienced such a long delay.
We had a 1 month delay between verbal offer and formal written offer but that was over the Christmas break period and my OH's job was with same employer as in Europe.....that and then getting the visas did stress me out somewhat though.
In all honesty, I think you need to chase them....rather than sitting around waiting for something which may never happen. Not what you wanted to hear, I know....sorry.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 9:24 pm

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Are NZ employers always this slow??? - moved to main forum

cant comment on your particular scenario, but can tell you hubby and i found it very frustrating waiting for call backs that never happen. and then when you phone them, they were 'just about to call us'.

keep phoning, and dont waste your time waiting to hear from one employer. use this time to be contacting other people too.

what are your hubby's skills and which area are you looking to move to? I could put you in touch with someone if he has skills in IT, Project Management in an IT field, Telecomms Skills in Wellington area if thats any help?

Kate.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 9:29 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

They can be pretty slack sometimes, but not all companies are like this. And three months is taking the mick.
I've been pimping my CV around town recently and I've had one with no response for a week and a half, one took a week, another I've had two interviews in two days and they want me back for a third one today.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 9:44 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

They are either being particularly unprofessional in not letting unsucessful candidate know the outcome (I hear it happens too often unfortunately). Or they are still trying to get their preferred candidate hooked and its taking time, and you might be their first reserve.

So a polite follow up call is in order.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

NZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of light

Definitely call them to see what the status is.
It is frustrating! I understand!
I am starting a new job in 3 weeks in Auckland....the process of getting the job was 3 and a half months, and I am based in NZ.
Recruitment consultants here are very frustrating...my advice would be call them once a week...just keep them remembering you. And if they have a website with jobs on you are interested in, even if you are being put forward for a role anyway...ask them/tell them you want to be put forward for that too. You have to be quite forceful (but nice at the same time...you need them on your side, as they can be the gate keepers!!!)....good luck!!
Old Mar 18th 2008, 11:07 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

If the recruitment manager is taking so long to do something, which after all is what he is being paid to do, it may be indicative of the work culture in this company and it also says as lot about how they value their employees. So what if he's 'travelling' can he not delegate or work remotely?

Why not put plan B into action and approach other accredited employers and see if anyone else is interested in snapping up your OH.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

kazzie is a jewel in the roughkazzie is a jewel in the roughkazzie is a jewel in the roughkazzie is a jewel in the roughkazzie is a jewel in the rough
Unhappy Re: Are NZ employers always this slow??? - moved to main forum

Hi, just wanted to let you know that OH called potential employer last night, to be told that they have had to stop all recruitment at the moment - globally, not just NZ. I can only think it has to do with the end of the financial year. Anyway, very frustrating as told his CV was the only one they were interested in for the position, with all relevant experience etc. We just have to wait and see what happens in the future, but for now, it is off. Very depressed as OH was really excited about job being an exact match to what he does now and really enjoys it. Is their financial year end the same as UK - End of March, beginning of April?? Any one else had this experience and finally ended up with the job?? It looks as if we will need to continue looking. Thanx for all your advice, you are a great bunch!!!!!