Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

nz economy - what's the future?

nz economy - what's the future?

Old Sep 11th 2010, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Default nz economy - what's the future?

Here in the UK the economy is going to hell in a hand-cart...with unemployment rising and the Tories doing their best to create a low-wage serf economy, all under the guise of "balancing the books".

What's the feeling in NZ about long term prospects for both the economy and employment?

I would be especially interested in knowing peoples' views about the chances for the under-25s.

Steve
Old Sep 11th 2010, 6:58 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: nz economy - what's the future?

Originally Posted by Stephen Jones
I would be especially interested in knowing peoples' views about the chances for the under-25s.
Rubbish, lots of graduates off to Australia and North America. They can earn a lot more money abroad, be promoted faster and for many there is also a lower tax burden on incomes.

Linky: http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/educ...in-brain-drain
Old Sep 11th 2010, 7:31 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: nz economy - what's the future?

To be honest NZ is not the place I would recommend a youngster settle down in. Visit yes, but just passing through. I left there when I was 23, built up a career and travelled a lot. Now I'm approaching 50 NZ is the place for me!!
Old Sep 11th 2010, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
To be honest NZ is not the place I would recommend a youngster settle down in. Visit yes, but just passing through. I left there when I was 23, built up a career and travelled a lot. Now I'm approaching 50 NZ is the place for me!!
I agree. I really hope my kids find another future elsewhere for their benefit. If I am still around (very doubtful!) I will miss them but NZ is probably the worlds biggest western civilised 'back water'. But alas not big enough ever to make the grade. We have just recently been down graded in our competivness. NZ is great if you are a kid or in the autumn of your life (like me and had enough of the throngs of people that is europe) or you manage to find a niche job and you don't want to set the world afire. I love lots about NZ (and hate lots of it too) but will always admit it is beautiful and wonderous on many levels but it is dull and not very vibrant on another level. Go to Oz mate. The day my kids do one and Kate has retired I think that is the day I pack up and go to Tazzy.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose it depends on the individual. My son was 19 yrs old when we came here...... wanted to be a laid back drop out! But NZ has offered opportunities that he wouldn't have taken up back home, due to the expectation of you not doing anything out of your normal. He's now a lovely 23 years old man & settled well, he loves Wellington, the night life is fantastic. He started Massey uni in Feb & now doing BSc Nursing, he's in love with a kiwi girl & they share a flat together. Life isn't easy for them, he has to work at weekends etc....... no student bursary like I got. But it's do able.... yes, he'll probably travel, but they'll be back when they're ready to settle down.
I guess, life is what you make it wherever you are
Old Sep 11th 2010, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

I wouldnt agree with saying that NZ isn't suited to younger people. My husband and I emigrated to NZ last year when we were 28. We both have well paid jobs (I earn more here than I did in the UK and its the same job). You can get a bigger house for your money - in the UK all we could afford was a flat but in NZ we could get a three bed house with a garden.
I think it all depends on what you want out of life - if you have great career aspirations then NZ probably isnt for you but if you want a better lifestyle then NZ is perfect.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jo-Chris
Hi,

I wouldnt agree with saying that NZ isn't suited to younger people. My husband and I emigrated to NZ last year when we were 28. We both have well paid jobs (I earn more here than I did in the UK and its the same job). You can get a bigger house for your money - in the UK all we could afford was a flat but in NZ we could get a three bed house with a garden.
I think it all depends on what you want out of life - if you have great career aspirations then NZ probably isnt for you but if you want a better lifestyle then NZ is perfect.
Agree with you totally. As I said if you can find the right job for yourself and are happy to get along well without making big bucks for yourself NZ CAN be good. But why do you think soooooooooooooo many young people do one for their OEs? Because NZ is a tad dull, not noted for high culture or extreme variety and because so many places are simply much, much more interesting.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 1:28 am
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Genesis
Agree with you totally. As I said if you can find the right job for yourself and are happy to get along well without making big bucks for yourself NZ CAN be good. But why do you think soooooooooooooo many young people do one for their OEs? Because NZ is a tad dull, not noted for high culture or extreme variety and because so many places are simply much, much more interesting.
everywhere else is interesting if you haven't been, no matter where you are from...
Old Sep 12th 2010, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Dustybin
everywhere else is interesting if you haven't been, no matter where you are from...
That is my point. The price to travel from NZ to the gretaer world is way to much for most. By contrast those in europe are fairly well travelled because of the close proximity of so many different countries AND (its a big and) flights from the Uk are not a huge rip off like they are in NZ. I guess that has summat to do with the smaller market so fair enough it aint a rip off.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 8:15 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jo-Chris
You can get a bigger house for your money - in the UK all we could afford was a flat but in NZ we could get a three bed house with a garden.
That might be true if you are moving to New Plymouth, but not Auckland. I'm disappointed at the size of house I would get if I sold my London terrace.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
That might be true if you are moving to New Plymouth, but not Auckland. I'm disappointed at the size of house I would get if I sold my London terrace.
Agree the price of property in reasonable areas in Auckland is far from good value, then there's the risk of leaky homes too. The latter will be costing the country (taxpayers) a fortune to put right, dwarves the cost of rebuilding quake damaged bulidngs in the Christchurch area.

Economy wise the prospects for NZ are certainly no better than the UK.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 2:32 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

In Australia