British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   NZ Driving Licence (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/nz-driving-licence-503372/)

tease Jan 3rd 2008 8:47 pm

NZ Driving Licence

i have to get my NZ driving licence this year and need some advice

i know i have to :-
  • use my brakes when traffic is coming the other way
  • use my brakes when i approach bridges
  • occaisionally brake for no reason
  • speed up when entering passing lanes
  • pull out without looking
  • reverse into main roads
  • if the speed limit is 50 either
  • a: this really means 30 or
  • b: this really means at least 50
  • text while driving

but are there any other things i should do to prepare.

Cheers

tease

happynz Jan 3rd 2008 9:16 pm

Re: NZ Driving Licence

Don't forget that one should never check behind when backing out of a driveway.

One must park across the footpath from 3:00pm to 3:30pm Monday through Friday thereby forcing school-kids to walk in the road.

Jude J Jan 3rd 2008 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by tease (Post 5735588)
i have to get my NZ driving licence this year and need some advice

i know i have to :-
  • use my brakes when traffic is coming the other way
  • use my brakes when i approach bridges
  • occaisionally brake for no reason
  • speed up when entering passing lanes
  • pull out without looking
  • reverse into main roads
  • if the speed limit is 50 either
  • a: this really means 30 or
  • b: this really means at least 50
  • text while driving

but are there any other things i should do to prepare.

Cheers

tease

Yep, never, ever, under any circumstances, use your indicators.

waynepfry Jan 3rd 2008 9:33 pm

Get this - I've checked and those on visas/PR only need to get an NZ driving licence if they have lived in NZ continuously for +12 months. If you go out of NZ for any period of time, when you return your 12 month continuous perid starts over. I.e. Go on a foreign holiday once per year and you don't need an NZ licence.

(I'm not sure if this still counts after you've lived on PR for a period of +2 years but certainly counts whilst you still need a Returning Residents Visa). Loopholes, don't you just love 'em.

BEVS Jan 3rd 2008 9:54 pm

Always drive right up the arse of the bumper in front of you.

tease Jan 3rd 2008 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS here (Post 5735856)
Always drive right up the arse of the bumper in front of you.

i forgot

sidelights at twilight - why bother

ex_exile Jan 3rd 2008 10:08 pm

If you are driving a 4x4 always drive in the fast lane at 95km/h. If people really want to pass you they will go around you in the slow lane.

Always allow one car length per 100 km/h between car in front

You are never to old to drive (even though you may be to old to see)

brussels_sprout Jan 3rd 2008 10:21 pm

Yesterday i took my theory driving test. It started badly when i had to look into the eye testing machine and instructed to read the 3 columns, BUT I COULD ONLY SEE 2 ! Instant Fail arrgh.
I subsequently had to go to an opticians who said that my eyes were OK and told me that it was the machine in the AA testing centre that was not good enough.

My advice is to look at the sample questions on the NZ licencing website. Without studying you will fail the test ! Even very experienced drivers. Read the NZ highway code book too, but the most important is to study the 200+ test questions on the website. All of these were in the test.
Also take a coin with you to rub out the (hopefully) correct answers, avoids all that grey waxy stuff getting into your fingernails

Your UK licence is NOT taken from you, only German driving licences are taken off new NZ licencees ! If you are a Brit. then you do not have to do a practical test

carriem41 Jan 3rd 2008 10:31 pm

dont forget to swear, shout and gesticulate to everyone when you are driving and having a bad day...

Maz Jan 3rd 2008 10:38 pm

This thread is cracking me up. :rofl: Perhaps it's because I only really pootle around my fairly immediate area (though I did drive Wellington to Auckland last April), but you guys are talking about New Zealand, Australasian continent, Planet Earth right? Maybe it's because the driving in the Chicago area was SO abysmal (it must be a lot more fun there right now with the few feet of snow on the ground woo hoo time to learn to drive all over again yay! :lol: ), I compare the two in my mind and find it much much better over here? :blink: :confused: Probably... ;)

Maz Jan 3rd 2008 10:39 pm

Oh, has anyone please got a link to the test questions online? I'm just too damn lazy to look for them. :p :lol: (hey it's Friday!)

Better luck next time Martin. Don't forget to tell them their machine sucks ass. :D Was that at Ami Plaza? If so, give me a bell - you have my mobile, right? (if not, PM me for it) That's just down the lift from me.

carriem41 Jan 3rd 2008 11:04 pm

oh and if the driver in front is at a give way and doesnt drive on quick enough for you feel free to beep your horn, purposefully dont give way when turning left just to more confuse the already "whats the point of this left turn rule" confused population and when you park dont worry about opening your door to damage the car next to you... they probably wont even notice with all the other dents theyve recieved.

pascalr Jan 4th 2008 12:14 am

Yeah, and if your at the front of a line of traffic stopped at some traffic lights, dont apply your handbrake and put your gear in neutral.
You have to ride the clutch and be ready for when that light goes green (no amber!) or heaven forbid the kiwi behind you gains a second to their journey time....and where are they all rushing too, nothings ever happening???

brussels_sprout Jan 4th 2008 12:43 am

Here is the link to the 200+ questions, all the test questions were in here
http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/roa...questions.html

After my eyes were retested at the opticians , i passed and was awarded the new NZ licence ! But advice to anyone sitting it, you must study these questions !
I did mine at AA Porirua, but there seems to be loads of places where you can do it, obviously large profits are made

mcuddy1 Jan 4th 2008 12:52 am

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout (Post 5736387)
Here is the link to the 200+ questions, all the test questions were in here
http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/roa...questions.html

After my eyes were retested at the opticians , i passed and was awarded the new NZ licence ! But advice to anyone sitting it, you must study these questions !
I did mine at AA Porirua, but there seems to be loads of places where you can do it, obviously large profits are made

I took my bike and car test on the same day. Passed them both without even looking at the questions.
Thanks to one of the assistants who when I said "who is going to help me when I get stuck", said she would, and when I had got 3 wrong with 5 questions left told me to put a dot next to the answer I thought it was and gave me a nod if it was right.