Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ dont want plumbers/gas engineers

NZ dont want plumbers/gas engineers

Old Feb 28th 2010, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

jd24hrs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NZ dont want plumbers/gas engineers

dont waste your time as nz dont recognise qualifications and experience they will expect you to retrain and start all over again and earn min wage
Old Feb 28th 2010, 9:08 pm
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ dont want plumbers/gas engineers

John. I know you are bitter and on a crusade against the PGDB but the above post , whilst relevant to you , is incorrect and misleading for others
Feel free to offload in here & have a rant if you need to . After all this is not only an information highway to exchange info & experience, it is also a place to support each other and have fun.

I will, however, reserve the right to correct anything which I feel to be wrong in terms of requirements for NZIS via PGDB etc.

After that , moan away.

Reference your post.

As with several occupations, teaching & nursing for example, NZIS require NZ registration. This applies to plumbing and gasfitting. The UK trade qualifications will be recognised to a certain degree provided they meet the NZIS & ANZSCO standard set. Just as with Canada and Australia , New Zealand Immigration will accept the overseas qualification once the trade board of the country , NZ PGDB in this case, have checked out the quals and work experience . They have a set method to do this. Just like NZQA. They will look at the NZ apprenticeship and training and match like for like. They like to see on the tools experience , just as per their own homegrown. This means around 5 years work experience.

For plumbing and gasfitting, the standard set by NZIS is around an NVQ /G&G or the older C&G 1 + 2 advanced certificate in 3 parts. NZIS look to the PGDB to check the overseas quals. This is done with a pre-assessment of the paper quals and written proof of work exp etc.

If the NZIS level is met then the tradesperson can claim points for the skilled migrant category.

Regarding the PGDB registration which is the next stage following the pre-assessment.

If the UK overseas tradesman has the NVQ3 or above standard , then that qualification will go partway towards PGDB NZ registration. The other part that is required is that the overseas tradesman can show they have knowledge of NZ working practices, rules and regs etc. Also, they then prove that they have the standard that they submitted on paper.
It is the exam and also a test of practical workmanship. NZ homegrown apprentices take the same exam and also fulfill a final block course .

The full assessment is expensive and takes 4 days. If one passes, then one will be an NZ registered plumber or gasfitter or both.

If the overseas quals don't match the standards set at pre-assessment level , then the suggestion will be that further training is undergone, most likely via an apprenticeship to achieve the NZ national certificate . There is the facility to be assessed for prior learning to shorten the length of training .

For the record, I'm married to a UK plumber. We've been here for 6 years . He passed NZ PGDB registration ,despite being severely dyslexic and has never been on minimum wage. Being in the trade we know several plumbers and gasfitters who migrated here from overseas. Only one has had problems with the exam & the technique. None are on a minimum wage. The other bod who felt he had problems with PGDB and registration actually didn't have anything more than an NVQ 2 level really and a couple of ACS modules at that. He was told that there was a minimum requirement but he chose to ignore that. In the end he returned to the UK . He wasn't on minimum wage either . He was working under the limited license .

summary :-
If you have the required overseas qualifications , then you are not required to re-train. You are, however, required to prove the standard that you say you have and you must demonstrate you know about NZ/OZ standards, rules, regs , codes and working practices if you want to be NZ registered.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 9:54 pm
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps it would also be pertinent to add that there has been a global recession. Jobs can be thin on the ground , so for any occupation this should be taken into consideration when thinking to migrate. After all most of us need an income.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 2:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

I am from the UK and I am I sure gas engineers from NZ would not be accepted without being Gorgi registered so its just the same. Correct me if I am wrong.

June
Old Mar 1st 2010, 3:18 am
Busy Again

bdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Margaret Parkinson View Post
I am from the UK and I am I sure gas engineers from NZ would not be accepted without being Gorgi registered so its just the same. Correct me if I am wrong.

June
Hi there
i think that should be Corgi trained not Gorgi trained June
but it made me smile
PS hope you are both well and enjoying the sun
Old Mar 1st 2010, 5:19 am
Somewhere

Registration is required in the UK to work on gas. One must have a recognised qualification to do so.

UK Gas Safe Register which replaced CORGI.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bdclayton View Post
Hi there
i think that should be Corgi trained not Gorgi trained June
but it made me smile
PS hope you are both well and enjoying the sun
That's what I meant to say. Glad it made you smile.

We are both well but sad to say we leave NZ on Saturday.

June
Old Mar 1st 2010, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
Registration is required in the UK to work on gas. One must have a recognised qualification to do so.

UK Gas Safe Register which replaced CORGI.
Well I live in the UK and did not know that. All the vans I see or adverts all still say Corgi registered.

June
Old Mar 1st 2010, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

And I thought that meant they had a licence for their dog...
you learn something new every day