NZ Customs

Old Jun 30th 2011, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

BevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to all
Default NZ Customs

Hi,

Has anyone had any problems with customs applying duty to personal possessions that are less than 12 months old?

E.g. I have 2 LCD TVs which are about 8mths old, to which I have kept the original boxes. According to a few of the shipping agents I have had around, they reckon that Customs will want to check them out, unless I can prove they're older than 12 months.

I have had a look at the nz customs website and it just states the following:

"You have owned and used the goods before the date of your arrival in New Zealand"

No mention of 12 months?? Please help!!!
Old Jun 30th 2011, 9:27 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ Customs

Originally Posted by BevK
Hi,

Has anyone had any problems with customs applying duty to personal possessions that are less than 12 months old?

E.g. I have 2 LCD TVs which are about 8mths old, to which I have kept the original boxes. According to a few of the shipping agents I have had around, they reckon that Customs will want to check them out, unless I can prove they're older than 12 months.

"You have owned and used the goods before the date of your arrival in New Zealand"

12mths applies to cars. Not aware if it applies to anything else.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

thedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by simonsi
12mths applies to cars. Not aware if it applies to anything else.
I'm anal when it comes to keeping original boxes and where possible mst of the items we brought to New Zealand came in their original boxes. We even brought a brand new dyson cleaner (delievered the day before our stuff was packed), still in it's box entirely sealed in it's clear plastic wrapping and declared on the paperwork as a brand new item.

We never had any such issues. Scaremongering I would think.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 8:16 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BevK
Hi,

We bought stuff over that was brand new, still in boxes (XBox, Wii, fridge, Patio heater and a few kitchen items). Customs didn't care. The only people interested in our stuff was MAF. Most shipping companies tell you this stuff to cover their own ar#e's, in case anything happens in NZ. The shipper I used simply said, unwrap it, remove the instructions and sellotape and repack......
Old Jul 1st 2011, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

BevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to all

Thanks guys for your replies I can get it all to fit in a 20ft container, lol

Cheers, Bev
Old Jul 4th 2011, 2:22 am
Forum Regular

Mrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really nice

They don't care. We had some of our stuff in original boxes plus some new things. It's only MAF who are interested in your stuff.

The packers know what MAF wants to look at so they pack it together, write down what's in each box and when it arrives they put these boxes to one side for MAF to inspect later in the day.

That's primarily anything that could be contaminated ie bikes, camping equipment, gardening equipment and furniture and Xmas decorations (no pine cones!).

If it's clean, they go away happy. If anything smells foostie they will look very closely....fortunately ours passed the Dettol test.