Reload this Page >

NZ - current climate

NZ - current climate

Old Oct 22nd 2008, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

tphandljh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NZ - current climate

Hi All,

Simple question - would you move in current financial climate.

Existing job pays 44k UK pounds. Offered job pays 88k NZ.

Nerves are getting the better of me!
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ - current climate

Would I personally in that financial situation? No I would not.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 11:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

nukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tphandljh
Hi All,

$88,000 is equivalent to approx £32,000. It depends on what kind of lifestyle you are looking for. OH and myself manage on his salary alone but we have no children and cleared all our debts before we left the UK. To be honest if we had kids, then we would have given it a lot more thought.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 11:51 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nukiwi
$88,000 is equivalent to approx £32,000. It depends on what kind of lifestyle you are looking for. OH and myself manage on his salary alone but we have no children and cleared all our debts before we left the UK. To be honest if we had kids, then we would have given it a lot more thought.
what the heck you talking about we survive on $75,000 dollars and have two children one a teenager... been away a lot go out for meals all the time, and manage to save and I only work 2 mornings per week...

mind you we have a small mortgage, so maybe that helps...

anyway peace out
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

nukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by love30stm
what the heck you talking about we survive on $75,000 dollars and have two children one a teenager... been away a lot go out for meals all the time, and manage to save and I only work 2 mornings per week...

mind you we have a small mortgage, so maybe that helps...

anyway peace out
Perhaps a small mortgage is less than we are paying in rent.... depends where you live I guess!

Like I said.. we don't have kids so can't comment on how much extra that would cost. You seem to be doing ok so I hope it continues...
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 12:55 am
BE Enthusiast

gina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of light

i wouldnt either, i havent posted on her since we arrived in august,, we thought we had done the math but when your here its a whole different story, we have 1 child and two wages comming in but i have never had to struggle so much in my life, if i knew then what i know now, i would never have come here, it has been a costly mistake for us, but were gonna try and make the most of it for at least the next twelve months, just to give the place a fair chance, but i think after that we may be on the plane back to uk,

but everyone is different, sorry for sounding so negative, im sure you will get a lot more positive posts,

good luck in whatever you decide to do.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 1:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gina and danny
i wouldnt either, i havent posted on her since we arrived in august,, we thought we had done the math but when your here its a whole different story, we have 1 child and two wages comming in but i have never had to struggle so much in my life, if i knew then what i know now, i would never have come here, it has been a costly mistake for us, but were gonna try and make the most of it for at least the next twelve months, just to give the place a fair chance, but i think after that we may be on the plane back to uk,

but everyone is different, sorry for sounding so negative, im sure you will get a lot more positive posts,

good luck in whatever you decide to do.

I totally agree. We are at least happy here and only been here since August ourselves but I do hope you can make it work and good luck. Whereabouts are you?
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 1:27 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Perhaps a small mortgage is less than we are paying in rent.... depends where you live I guess!

Like I said.. we don't have kids so can't comment on how much extra that would cost. You seem to be doing ok so I hope it continues...
Yes thanks and we are lucky not everyone in New Zealand struggles, i would not have emigrated unless I had loads to put down on a house and some savings .
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 1:47 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

All being equal - and it isn't always - then 88kNZD compared to 44kGBP is pretty good. Not many people I know have 2:1 "parity".

We took far bigger hits and removed ourselves from the career structure that made the "to retirement" loss an absolutely massive one.....for me alone that is about 1.5 to 3, erm million, GBP, I kid you not.....thinking about it now I cannot believe it.....just did the calculations, whilst I was working out my GST..... - 18 to 20 years at £100-150k or so pay differential NZ to UK, ignoring additional profit share, profit on my equity partner's buy-in/buy-out, and wives' company "salary" benefit......now you know why I might be a little bitter at times about the whole move....and question it a bit out loud....

But we are just about keeping it together thanks to the odd state subsidy for childcare as the business is just starting to work out.

You do need to decide what your priorities are and as others have said where you live is a real "biggie".

Good luck and best wishes for the decision.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by love30stm
Yes thanks and we are lucky not everyone in New Zealand struggles, i would not have emigrated unless I had loads to put down on a house and some savings .
Totally agree. We brought lots of savings out with us but didnt have time to sell our UK property. However, we finally have tenants Will sell once the UK market picks up.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 2:03 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree. We brought lots of savings out with us but didnt have time to sell our UK property. However, we finally have tenants Will sell once the UK market picks up.
good on ya.....
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 2:05 am

Jokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant future

Hi All,

Some 33,000 Kiwis left NZ this year (about a 1000 a week). Ask yourself why.... Because they can!

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10539016

Last edited by Jokerman; Oct 23rd 2008 at 2:09 am.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 2:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

88k is not the end of the world, but what job guarantee have you got? Could they kick you out after 3 months?

I think you have to want to come for other reasons than the money, else dont bother.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 2:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lardyl
good on ya.....
Thanks and I wish you well with everything
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 3:07 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

That salary is high by most standards in NZ, but it does depend where you live, whether you have kids and need a mortgage. We have 4 kids and have survived on less than that with a mortgage but we don't live extravagantly. Currently, we earn a little over that with our combined earnings, 4 kids in a provincial town. Be sure you are ready because the economy isn't great anywhere in the world at the moment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.