Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ could 'pull a Cyprus' some day

NZ could 'pull a Cyprus' some day

Old Mar 21st 2013, 6:32 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: NZ could 'pull a Cyprus' some day

Originally Posted by Assanah
Oh, that is good for future treasure hunters with their metal detectors . I am always wondering how many people did bury their little treasure in Europe during bad times and forgot where they buried it or died before they had a chance to dig it out again....
Where do you think all those 'Saxon treasure troves' came from?
Old Mar 21st 2013, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

northeastlad has a reputation beyond reputenortheastlad has a reputation beyond reputenortheastlad has a reputation beyond reputenortheastlad has a reputation beyond reputenortheastlad has a reputation beyond reputenortheastlad has a reputation beyond reputenortheastlad has a reputation beyond reputenortheastlad has a reputation beyond reputenortheastlad has a reputation beyond reputenortheastlad has a reputation beyond reputenortheastlad has a reputation beyond repute

Really is no surprise so many people take to putting it under their mattress...
Old Mar 21st 2013, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by downunderpom
Dementia means you forget all about it, so what would you have to worry about?

Very, very good point. But what was it about....I have forgotten.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 1:19 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Just checked the exchange rate, the $/€ rate is important to me.

Its at $=€0.6445 which is the highest I have ever seen in a couple of years.

Why, Cyprus is about to go broke, unless they pull a rabbit out the hat. Next will be Greece, then Portugal, Ireland and Italy.

EU is doomed and its not good news for the UK or anyone else in Europe.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21885301
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 1:35 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Interesting article. Here's the bit I don't understand: "Cypriot banks were among the bondholders who had to take a big "haircut" in the second massive bailout for Greece."

So, if the Cypriot banks 'took a big haircut' from Greece's bailout, how come Germany, France and/or whoever loaned the Cypriot's a bailout don't get to 'take a big haircut', and instead it's the Cypriot depositors who get scalped?

Seems sauce for the goose is not necessarily sauce for the gander.

And does Spain REALLY have a GDP of a trillion Euros???? Doing/selling WHAT???
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting article. Here's the bit I don't understand: "Cypriot banks were among the bondholders who had to take a big "haircut" in the second massive bailout for Greece."

So, if the Cypriot banks 'took a big haircut' from Greece's bailout, how come Germany, France and/or whoever loaned the Cypriot's a bailout don't get to 'take a big haircut', and instead it's the Cypriot depositors who get scalped?

Seems sauce for the goose is not necessarily sauce for the gander.
Politics.

Germany is growing weary of EU taxpayers continuing to fork out to keep propping up the southern states.

It also doesn't help that a significant proportion of the deposits in Cypriot banks belong to Russian money-launderers and oligarchs hiding their money, so again, is EU taxpayer money really to be spent making sure these people don't lose out?
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 9:04 am
I like kittens.

Originally Posted by Clappy
Politics.
If you're not careful the mods will have you for using dirty language!
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 9:09 am
I like kittens.

Oh quap! Just seen this on Zero Hedge:

"As Europe wakes up to what could be a tumultuous day, Handelsblatt reports that the ECB has decided that, due to the "great danger" of a bank run once they reopen next week, it will enforce capital controls independently of Cypriot (elected) officials. With perhaps a nod towards negotiating some ELA funding for Cypriot banks next week (if the government accepts this ECB-enforced 'program'), the rather stunning restrictions on people's private property include:

Freezing Savings - no time-frame (it's not your money anymore)
Make bank transfers dependent on Central Bank approval (a money tzar?)
Lower ATM withdrawal limits (spend it how we say?)

The capital controls will be designed "so that citizens have access to sufficient cash to go about their lives." So, there it is, a European Union imposed decision on just how much money each Cypriot can spend per day. Wasn't it just last week, we were told Europe is fixed?

Handelsblatt cites unidentified central bank sources so we wonder whether this is yet another strawman shot across the bow as the Cypriot government heads in for an early start of discussions at 10am (GMT)"

If this is the case, the proverbial will really hit the whirling item.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

If this is the case, the proverbial will really hit the whirling item.
I fear it will. It doesn't look as though Russia will help them out, there's hardly anywhere left for them to run.

I think some of my family have a house in Cyprus. I guess I'll hear more about it all next time I phone them.

At least if the Ozzie banks fail we wouldn't have to go through this suspense - our money would be gone in one short sharp shock.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 9:30 am
I like kittens.

I fear it will. It doesn't look as though Russia will help them out, there's hardly anywhere left for them to run.

I think some of my family have a house in Cyprus. I guess I'll hear more about it all next time I phone them.

At least if the Ozzie banks fail we wouldn't have to go through this suspense - our money would be gone in one short sharp shock.
Russia will only help out if the Cypriot gov't hands over ownership of all of their gas and oil reserves. And if they do that, Cyprus has nothing with which to earn money. No bargaining power. They're even more screwed than they are now. They'd be better off telling the Euro-trash to whistle for their loans, and leaving the Euro. Painful, but not mortal. If they stay with the Euro then they'll be treated little better than serfs.

Aussie banks stealing depositors property? I doubt it. Unlike the Europeans the Aussies and Kiwis would tar, feather and ride the banksters and politicians out of the country on rails, if they tried pulling that crap.

Not that that is going to stop me from turning my banked funds into something which will hold its value, whatever happens to cash / currency. Land, and PM.
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 2:29 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Politics.
Wash yer mouth with soap.
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 2:31 am
I like kittens.

Apparently it's happened:

"While it is unknown if the Cypriot parliament will agree to, and enact into law, the Troika-demanded deposit haircuts, after the shocking vote of mutiny against Merkel earlier this week that saw not one politician vote for the Europe suggested deposit tax levy (and even the ruling party abstained), a vote which will once more take place tomorrow, moments ago Cyprus became the first Eurozone country to officially implement governmental capital controls into legislation. At this point it had no choice: whatever happens with the deposit haircut, or with everything else, it is now inevitable that the local Cypriots will do all they can to pull as much money from domestic banking system as possible following the complete loss of faith and trust in banks, which is why the government had no choice but to intervene with its own "controls." Sadly, this marks a milestone in the development of the Eurozone - it's all downhill, and accelerating, from here. "

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-0...l-controls-law

Warning: if you click on the link, the comments after the post are not moderated, and the language is 'unmodified'. In fact, there's a lot of effing and blinding. Those of a 'delicate disposition' are warned not to scroll down!

Witness the end of the Euro.... witness the end of banking as we know it, for that matter!
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 4:48 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

I disagree (not on the inevitable Cypriot bank run obv. but the fall of the euro), this is a more palatable option. However there can now be no suggestion that any EU bank could fail or depositors will flee, this precedent has greatly eroded confidence in the European banking system.

Also this may just be the start for Cyprus.
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 5:27 am
I like kittens.

Originally Posted by Charismatic
I disagree (not on the inevitable Cypriot bank run obv. but the fall of the euro), this is a more palatable option. However there can now be no suggestion that any EU bank could fail or depositors will flee, this precedent has greatly eroded confidence in the European banking system.

Also this may just be the start for Cyprus.
I hope you're right and I'm wrong. But I don't find

Freezing Savings
Make bank transfers dependent on Central Bank approval
Lower ATM withdrawal limits

at all 'palatable'. If it's MY money in the bank, then it's up to ME how I spend it, when I spend it, and where I spend it. It's not, IMO, up to some faceless bankster who screwed up the bank in the first place, by not doing his due dilligence, or some equally faceless beuro-rat dipping his face into the public trough and deciding on how much of my money to steal whenever he likes.

That's the trouble with these people - they never know when to stop!! Once they get a taste of helping themselves to depositors money they will be hooked, and like any addict, will be unable to stop taking.

And I don't understand your statement "However there can now be no suggestion that any EU bank could fail or depositors will flee". Don't you mean "However there can now be no question that any EU bank could fail or depositors will flee"?
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 5:49 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: NZ could 'pull a Cyprus' some day

I should have said "Other", meaning PIIGS based banks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.