Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ Citizenship and returning to UK

NZ Citizenship and returning to UK

Old Nov 6th 2008, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

finks is just really nicefinks is just really nicefinks is just really nicefinks is just really nicefinks is just really nicefinks is just really nicefinks is just really nicefinks is just really nice
Default NZ Citizenship and returning to UK

Hi
We are returning to the UK to live permanently next year,i was born in the UK. Someone told me that because i am leaving i may have to return for so many months a year to ensure i can keep my NZ Citizenship i just wanted to check as i didn`t think this was correct.
I got my NZ Citizenship by grant in April of this year and have my passport.As our has situation changed and we now wish to return to the UK for the seeable future i am concerned that i may lose it.
I just want some reassurance that this is incorrect.
Thanks in advance
Finks
Old Nov 6th 2008, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: NZ Citizenship and returning to UK

Originally Posted by finks
Hi
We are returning to the UK to live permanently next year,i was born in the UK. Someone told me that because i am leaving i may have to return for so many months a year to ensure i can keep my NZ Citizenship i just wanted to check as i didn`t think this was correct.
I got my NZ Citizenship by grant in April of this year and have my passport.As our has situation changed and we now wish to return to the UK for the seeable future i am concerned that i may lose it.
Thanks in advance
Finks
Hi there I am sure thats not right and i am hoping not as i got my citezinship also this year and may be returning at some stage.
I am sure that someone with more knowledge like JAJ will be along shortly to set the record straight.
All the best
Cally
Old Nov 6th 2008, 8:57 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: NZ Citizenship and returning to UK

If you have your citizenship , then you'll be fine. It's yours
Old Nov 6th 2008, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by finks
Hi
Thanks in advance
Finks
Citizenship can only be revoked in exceptional circumstances, mainly if you fraudelently obtained it. so there is no requirement to return to Nz for you to keep citizenship. Whoever told you that doesnt understand the difference between citizenship and residency, and even then the advice wasnt totally correct either.

so be re-assured you OK keeping your citizenship. (unless youre a high profile nazi war criminal or terrorist who stole somebody's ID, commited fraud and got your citizenship by bribing high ranking immigration officials; and got caught doing it)
Old Nov 6th 2008, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

I know the differences between Citizinship and residency,but what is the criteria for applying for citizinship compared to residency..we are here on WTR at the moment and can apply for residency in July next year,are we best going for citizinship or is this not an option for everyone...Jacky
Old Nov 6th 2008, 5:35 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by garryhg
I know the differences between Citizinship and residency,but what is the criteria for applying for citizinship compared to residency..we are here on WTR at the moment and can apply for residency in July next year,are we best going for citizinship or is this not an option for everyone...Jacky
You can only apply for Citizenship after you get Your permanent residence and you have to be In NZ 5 years before you can apply for it...
Old Nov 6th 2008, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by love30stm
You can only apply for Citizenship after you get Your permanent residence and you have to be In NZ 5 years before you can apply for it...
thanks,that clears that up
Old Nov 6th 2008, 8:18 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by garryhg
thanks,that clears that up

Check that out, cause as far as I am aware the clock starts ticking on citizenship from the moment you step foot in NZ on anything but a visitors visa.

We started on WTR, did a couple of months on a plain work, then got PR, all that counted towards out citizenship, saying that, that was when you only had to wait 3yrs, so they may have changed the rules when they changed to 5yrs
Old Nov 7th 2008, 2:44 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Watt Dabney
Check that out, cause as far as I am aware the clock starts ticking on citizenship from the moment you step foot in NZ on anything but a visitors visa.

We started on WTR, did a couple of months on a plain work, then got PR, all that counted towards out citizenship, saying that, that was when you only had to wait 3yrs, so they may have changed the rules when they changed to 5yrs
Under the new 5 year residence rule from 2005, time on a temporary visa does not count.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 3:35 am
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JAJ
Under the new 5 year residence rule from 2005, time on a temporary visa does not count.

bugger!
Old Nov 8th 2008, 3:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Hi,

Sorry to sound thick but what do you call temporary. We had a workpermit for 6 months before we got residency. Does it go from the work permit or residency.

Thanks
Old Nov 8th 2008, 4:20 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spacecake799
Hi,

Sorry to sound thick but what do you call temporary. We had a workpermit for 6 months before we got residency. Does it go from the work permit or residency.

Thanks
Residency.

Unless you applied before 21 April 2005 and hence may come under the old rules.