Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ citizens working in Aus.

NZ citizens working in Aus.

Old Jan 6th 2006, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

brandn has a brilliant futurebrandn has a brilliant futurebrandn has a brilliant futurebrandn has a brilliant futurebrandn has a brilliant futurebrandn has a brilliant future
Default NZ citizens working in Aus.

I was under the impression that NZ citizens were free to live and work in Aus if they want. Is this the case? as i read something recently that said that things have now changed and NZ citizens need to go through the same process as anyone else to live and work in Aus.
Any clarification would be appreciated,
Thanks,
Neil.
Old Jan 6th 2006, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

ukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really nice
Default Re: NZ citizens working in Aus.

Probably best to try the Aussie forum - though it seems to be that NZ citizens can live and work in Aussie on a temporary basis (whatever that means) but have to actually apply for residence like everyone else.
Old Jan 6th 2006, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

extrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really nice

Originally Posted by brandn
I was under the impression that NZ citizens were free to live and work in Aus if they want. Is this the case? as i read something recently that said that things have now changed and NZ citizens need to go through the same process as anyone else to live and work in Aus.
Any clarification would be appreciated,
Thanks,
Neil.
NZ citizens (not residents) can live and work in Aus, but they are on a temporary visa, which so far is always replaced when it expires. Kiwis are no longer entitled to become Australian citizens after a certain time (try telling a Kiwi that. I've yet to meet one who doesn't think he can still do it).

In fact they used to be able to apply for citizenship after several years of living there, but that was stopped end of 2001 I think. If they were living in Aus before that, I think they can still apply.

If you do it, you don't have quite the same rights as an Aussie citizen. Follow the links here http://www.facs.gov.au/internet/facs...ts-current.htm if you want to know about that. Personally, I didn't fancy living here on a temp visa so I just went for Australian PR. I believe you can hold UK, NZ and Aus passports should you want to but I don't know how long that will last either.
Old Jan 7th 2006, 2:51 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by extrameant
NZ citizens (not residents) can live and work in Aus, but they are on a temporary visa, which so far is always replaced when it expires. Kiwis are no longer entitled to become Australian citizens after a certain time (try telling a Kiwi that. I've yet to meet one who doesn't think he can still do it).

In fact they used to be able to apply for citizenship after several years of living there, but that was stopped end of 2001 I think. If they were living in Aus before that, I think they can still apply.
The law changed on 26 Feb 2001. Correct to say most NZ citizens already in Australia are exempt from the changes. http://www.nz-oz.gov.au

Those NZ citizens affected can apply for and be granted Australian permanent residence after meeting normal rules.

I believe you can hold UK, NZ and Aus passports should you want to but I don't know how long that will last either.

You can. Many people do.

And why should it change? (there is absolutely no suggestion of restriction in any of these countries)

Jeremy
Old Jan 14th 2006, 5:50 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by extrameant
Kiwis are no longer entitled to become Australian citizens after a certain time (try telling a Kiwi that. I've yet to meet one who doesn't think he can still do it).
To clarify this matter:

"To apply for Australian citizenship you would need to have been in Australia for at least 2 years as a permanent resident in the last five years. This time must include a total of twelve months in the two years immediately before making your citizenship application. The twelve months does not need to be continuous".

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/faq.htm#faq1
Old Jan 14th 2006, 7:06 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: NZ citizens working in Aus.

Originally Posted by kiwichild
To clarify this matter:

"To apply for Australian citizenship you would need to have been in Australia for at least 2 years as a permanent resident in the last five years. This time must include a total of twelve months in the two years immediately before making your citizenship application. The twelve months does not need to be continuous".

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/faq.htm#faq1
Which means that NZ citizens who have entered after 26 Feb 2001 can never become Australian citizens as they are on temporary visas subclass 444. UNLESS they go through the same process as everyone else and apply for PR.

Cheers

Buzzy