British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   The NZ BritExpat cyber DIAMOND JUBILEE STREET PARTY needs YOU ! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/nz-britexpat-cyber-diamond-jubilee-street-party-needs-you-759899/)

Persephone May 29th 2012 11:12 am

Re: The NZ BritExpat cyber DIAMOND JUBILEE STREET PARTY needs YOU !

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 10088324)
Good one! :thumbup:

You must have been well rich with those lovely plimsolls, we were the raggy arsed rovers and only had regulation black ones.

They were bought specially for the Silver Jubilee. As was the regulation red, white and blue clothing. We weren't rich, had to wear them for as long as our feet fit, then little sis got them:rofl:
Worst thing of the day was being dressed the same as my sister and being made to hold hands:frown:

Having looked at the photo again, not sure who gave me that asymmetrical fringe cut, suspect it was my mam grrrrrrr

vikingsail May 29th 2012 4:23 pm

I'll bring plenty of this:

www.blacksheepbrewery.com

and of course Pimms.

Last time I celebrated was overlooking the Solent for the Queens Silver Jubilee:))

vikingsail May 29th 2012 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Persephone (Post 10088364)
They were bought specially for the Silver Jubilee. As was the regulation red, white and blue clothing. We weren't rich, had to wear them for as long as our feet fit, then little sis got them:rofl:
Worst thing of the day was being dressed the same as my sister and being made to hold hands:frown:

Having looked at the photo again, not sure who gave me that asymmetrical fringe cut, suspect it was my mam grrrrrrr

Nice legs;) I have photos just like that. My brother (fool) still allows his mother to cut his hair - whats left of it!!

j19fmm May 29th 2012 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Persephone (Post 10088245)
I got a spoon which is probably in a box somewhere!

This was my street's idea of fun...:rofl::rofl:

Looks a bit like you might be snorting something you shouldn't :ohmy:

BEVS May 29th 2012 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by vikingsail (Post 10088954)
Nice legs;) I have photos just like that. My brother (fool) still allows his mother to cut his hair - whats left of it!!

Photos? Photos ! Sharesies please. :sneaky:

scrubbedexpat094 May 30th 2012 12:07 am

Originally Posted by ellenarosemary (Post 10088233)
Silver jubilee glass? I got a mug!! - although I do remember the village holding a huge party in the local agricultural merchants barn where everyone sat at one of 12 tables according to the month you were born - with huge amounts to eat, drink and be merry.

Certainly in our village this year (different one), there doesnt seem to be much celebrating going on - oh well will have to do some of our own.

Perhaps we got glasses because we was in St.Helens..."World Class In Glass" as the town signs now say :eek:

I shall have to see if I've got any photos but I suspect that my Dad was still taking slides at that time. I remember wearing a red gypsy skirt, a white blouse & a blue, cotton tank top thing over the top.

My Mum's friend (who now lives in Wanaka) was introduced to the Queen when she came to St.Helens & showed her round a new sensory garden, created especially for the blind. :thumbup:

stephen60 May 30th 2012 12:29 am

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/...50_233x405.jpg

ok, who's got the can opener?

http://www.retrowow.co.uk/retro_brit...arty_seven.gif

One of the remarkable things about the Silver Jubilee parties was that neighbours, who wouldn't be seen dead together in a pub, managed to put on Abigail's Party food and beer for the adults.
Put together decorations, bunting, wallpaper tables with paper table cloths and build up anticipation levels in the youngsters in the weeks leading up to the celebrrations.
Fleet review, in the Solent, meant run-ins with the shore patrols, multi-lingual scrapping and rib-tickling with night sticks/pick axe handles by provost marshals.
Games for the younger teen males included 500cc grand prix, round the gravel paths of the close, with Barry Sheene, Kenny Roberts and Johnny Cecotto competing on Choppers and 5 speed racers. He, with the bloodiest/most bruised knee, was The Man. TCP and gravel rash were the pit lane smells and sights.

stephen60 May 30th 2012 12:31 am

http://www.bishopandwilliams.com/wp-...td_49738-1.jpg
A Double Diamond works wonders so drink one today! This was a beer with a taste somewhere between Tesco value bitter and the contents of the Grand Union canal. We totally believed that it was somehow the elixir of life. It was only surpassed by Watneys Red Barrel which, in a bizarre testament to the power of advertising, appeared in Spain with the package holiday boom. The Spaniards had obviously watched UK telly and thought that the prospect of warm Watneys would have us flocking to their bodegas. Happily, holidaying Brits took to the San Miguel like a duck to water and the Spanish were left to wash their cars with this awful English offering.

scrubbedexpat094 May 30th 2012 12:50 am

Just wanted to use these :bluecrown::britflag::crown::egyptian:.Thanks Sue :thumbup:

BEVS May 30th 2012 1:01 am

:bluecrown::crown::britflag:

H'I say. Jolly wonderful , what.

That's my Diamond Jubilee karma messages sorted !:)

stephen60 May 30th 2012 4:40 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 10089901)
:bluecrown::crown::britflag:

H'I say. Jolly wonderful , what.

That's my Diamond Jubilee karma messages sorted !:)

So, that's a new avatar with a picnic hamper and party food.
There's a new signature.
Sourced some beer.
What else, Owl will know!

Bo-Jangles May 30th 2012 7:02 am

:britflag::britflag::britflag::britflag::britflag:

I'll start singing Land of Hope and Glory in a minute.

Anyone care for an a-pair-a-teeth....?

http://marcasconhistoria.com.ar/img/logos/cinzano.gif

stephen60 May 30th 2012 8:15 am

Good God!
If I'm not mistaken, it's Leonard Rossiter and Joan Collins.
:huh:
:o
:nod:

Bo-Jangles May 30th 2012 8:48 am

Seemingly that was a bit later than 77 but never mind here they are:

Bo-Jangles May 30th 2012 8:54 am

Wow how about this for some nostalgia and old favourites, Tescos advert from 1977 with Ski Yoghurts 7.5p