Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ authors & books about NZ

NZ authors & books about NZ

Old Aug 21st 2006, 10:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

StevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud of
Default Re: NZ authors & books about NZ

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
But don't tell Hubster eh Donna???!!!
Just read a Trilogy by Peter Wyatt (lives in Aus but don't know if he is an Aussie). Cry of the Curlew, Shadow of the Osprey and Flight of the Eagle. About 1800's frontier Australia and Anglo-Irish immigrants making a go of it. Adventure stories really, along the lines of Wilbur Smith, but one of the main characters in the series fought against the Maori in Waikato - so a bit of an NZ connection. 'A rollicking read' said some bloke I just met!
Old Aug 21st 2006, 11:57 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: NZ authors & books about NZ

Originally Posted by danny.f
I'll tell him they were a birthday present!!!
All paid for on Amazon - Happy Birthday Donna!!!!
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
If it doesn't need to be NZ based/related, as am mad 4 books. Best opening chapter ever is "Enduring Love" Ian McEwan. Best book EVER? Good old fashioned "Wuthering Heights." But am now going on Amazon to get A Land of Two Halves, Emigrating to NZ and The Colour. See what you've all done?!

Yes, I agree! Also A Child in Time, he really sets the scene doesn't he? I love him. Also a fav of mine (again, not an NZer) is Barbera Kingsolver. Just reading The Poisonwood Bible and it is one of very few books that has made me cry. She is a superb writer. Going to make a note of the books recommended. Love reading, much better than telly!
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jude J
Yes, I agree! Also A Child in Time, he really sets the scene doesn't he? I love him. Also a fav of mine (again, not an NZer) is Barbera Kingsolver. Just reading The Poisonwood Bible and it is one of very few books that has made me cry. She is a superb writer. Going to make a note of the books recommended. Love reading, much better than telly!
Ok non NZ authors:
I read poisonwood bible in a bookgroup. Caused a lot of discussion I seem to remember. People either loved it or hated it. I liked it.
I love Josten Gaarder books : Sophies world, Maya,the solitaire mystery.
Tracy Chevalier- Girl with the pearl earing.
Philippa Gregory's 'Earthly joys' and 'virgin earth'- loved the gardening and history mix.
Dava Sobel - Galilaos daughter and Longitude- history and novel mix
I enjoy Robert Goddard, Jeffery Deaver, Dick Frances as as quick reads.
I have a whole shelf of Aussie authors, Tim Winton, Murray Bail, I particularly enjoyed Robert Hughes's The fatal Shore, and Sarah Murgatroyd's The dig Tree. Christopher Koch 's Out of Ireland was good but as I didn't manage to finish it on holiday I have 200 pages left unread!

AM loolah -great you bought the books! I just tell hubby it's all cheap on ebay - although I have used Amazon. I also often pick up books in charity shops. Are there charity shops in NZ can you buy cheap books there?
I had a surprise last week- I discovered my boss (from my days working in India)had written an autobiography and she had included a funny story about my hubby and I in it! That'll be the nearest I get to knowing an author LOL
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by helinuk
Ok non NZ authors:

AM loolah -great you bought the books! I just tell hubby it's all cheap on ebay - although I have used Amazon. I also often pick up books in charity shops. Are there charity shops in NZ can you buy cheap books there?
I had a surprise last week- I discovered my boss (from my days working in India)had written an autobiography and she had included a funny story about my hubby and I in it! That'll be the nearest I get to knowing an author LOL

I haven't looked in charity shops but get some good ones at car boot sales. One thing we noticed here was the high price of books. We rarely buy a new book unless it is for a present!
Have you read Wally Lamb? I brought one of his from Whitcoulls (WH Smith) it cost $35 and saw it 2 weeks later at a car boot for $5. Also Trade Me is a good place to look.
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jude J
I haven't looked in charity shops but get some good ones at car boot sales. One thing we noticed here was the high price of books. We rarely buy a new book unless it is for a present!
Have you read Wally Lamb? I brought one of his from Whitcoulls (WH Smith) it cost $35 and saw it 2 weeks later at a car boot for $5. Also Trade Me is a good place to look.
Have to confess I've never heard of him.What genre does he write?
I spent yesterday evening reading a Dan Brown- Angels and Demons whilst the family watched The Godfather.
I had a quick look at Trade me, it looks a good place to buy stuff, I was amazed that they had houses for sale and rent on it too.
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 9:33 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

The Warehouse usually has new releases for about $10 less than the bookshops. I buy mine on Trade Me now and also in the North Shore Hospice shop.

One of the great things I've found since coming here is all the new authors (to me) that I've discovered. Jodie Piccult for one - has anyone read her? My sister's keeper is absoutely brilliant - about a 'designer baby'. James Baldicci (thrillers) is another, Paulina Simons etc.etc.
Old Sep 17th 2006, 3:52 am
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all

The inaugural NZ Book Month is launched tomorrow, Monday 18th September and runs to 15th October. www.nzbookmonth.co.nz

The Weekend Dominion Post ran a poll of favourite NZ writers and books, results were published yesterday.

Top 10 Writers : 1. Maurice Gee 2. Janet Frame 3. Michael King 4. Patricia Grace 5. Keri Hulme 6. Witi Ihimaera 7. Margaret Mahy 8. Owen Marshall 9= Allen Curnow 9= Elizabeth Knox

Top 10 Books : 1. An Autobiography by Janet Frame 2. The Plumb Trilogy (Plumb, Meg and Sole Survivor) by Maurice Gee 3= The Penguin History of NZ by Michael King 3= The Bone People by Keri Hulme 4= Collected Poems by James K Baxter 4= Live Bodies by Maurice Gee 5= Potiki by Patricia Grace 5= Tu by Patricia Grace 5= The Vintner's Luck by Elizabeth Knox 6= Blindsight by Maurice Gee 6= Tarzan Presley by Nigel Cox 7= The Best of Owen Marshall's Short Stories 7= Bulibasha, King of the Gypsies by Witi Ihimaera 7= Wrestling with the Angel: A Life of Janet Frame by Michael King 7= Sing to me Dreamer by Shonagh Koea 7= The Book of Fame by Lloyd Jones 8= Early Days Yet: New and Collected Poems by Allen Curnow 8= Going West by Maurice Gee 8= Summer by Jenny Bornholdt 8= Rain by Kirsty Gunn
Old Sep 17th 2006, 8:10 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cottageinthesky
The inaugural NZ Book Month is launched tomorrow, Monday 18th September and runs to 15th October. www.nzbookmonth.co.nz

The Weekend Dominion Post ran a poll of favourite NZ writers and books, results were published yesterday.

Top 10 Writers : 1. Maurice Gee 2. Janet Frame 3. Michael King 4. Patricia Grace 5. Keri Hulme 6. Witi Ihimaera 7. Margaret Mahy 8. Owen Marshall 9= Allen Curnow 9= Elizabeth Knox

Top 10 Books : 1. An Autobiography by Janet Frame 2. The Plumb Trilogy (Plumb, Meg and Sole Survivor) by Maurice Gee 3= The Penguin History of NZ by Michael King 3= The Bone People by Keri Hulme 4= Collected Poems by James K Baxter 4= Live Bodies by Maurice Gee 5= Potiki by Patricia Grace 5= Tu by Patricia Grace 5= The Vintner's Luck by Elizabeth Knox 6= Blindsight by Maurice Gee 6= Tarzan Presley by Nigel Cox 7= The Best of Owen Marshall's Short Stories 7= Bulibasha, King of the Gypsies by Witi Ihimaera 7= Wrestling with the Angel: A Life of Janet Frame by Michael King 7= Sing to me Dreamer by Shonagh Koea 7= The Book of Fame by Lloyd Jones 8= Early Days Yet: New and Collected Poems by Allen Curnow 8= Going West by Maurice Gee 8= Summer by Jenny Bornholdt 8= Rain by Kirsty Gunn
Thanks a lot for that. Hmmm, I've heard of only a couple of them - more to add to the list
Old Sep 17th 2006, 9:21 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Batty
Thanks a lot for that. Hmmm, I've heard of only a couple of them - more to add to the list
I'm halfway through "A land of two halves" and I'm really enjoying it. The first bit is on the South Island which we just didn't get time to do in our 3 weeks hols; so I'm making mental notes of where's worth going and where's not for our first holiday when we're there - possibly 2010!!
Old Sep 18th 2006, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for the top ten list.

I bought Sole survivor from ebay- hubby read it on holiday and found it a bit slow at the beginning but really enjoyed it after that.
Old Oct 19th 2006, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all

Originally Posted by helinuk
I enjoy reading and have belonged to bookgroups in the past. So here are a few questions for you. We did this on the OZ forum and had a great response.

Are there any bookworms on the forum?

Anyone go to a bookgroup in NZ?

Anyone read any good books by NZers?

Anyone read any goods about NZ?
here it is - all sorts of things about books