NZ or Aus

Old Aug 15th 2022, 4:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ or Aus

Originally Posted by Bermondsey George
Personally I would take Christchurch over Melbourne any day of the week.
I can't stand Melbourne although there are clearly many that love it. I think it was once voted the best city in the world to live but I can't think of a single reason why??
There are beggars everywhere going through rubbish bins for stuff to eat and there is graffiti all over the city. The river that runs through it looks like an open sewer and the crime rate is very high.
On the plus side Melbourne has a great indoor market, trams and marina.
I would not live in the actual Christchurch CBD but just outside in towns like Rangiora, Lincoln and Rolleston are all very safe places to live with an easy 20 minute commute into the CBD.
Good luck with your decision.
That's the thing and you have to love people when you go for a city with a population of 5 million. People who decide to live in these places probably don't see what you see and are used to graffiti, raw sewage rivers and seeing beggars is the norm. I hate crowds and this weekend I was out by the lake and unfortunately the weather brought all types of people there. The amount of litter left behind was shocking and those who leave it behind often post pictures on social media telling others how amazing the lake is. Once a place is voted best in the world, it's usually a reason to not go there anymore (For me at least😉).

Last edited by Moses2013; Aug 15th 2022 at 4:58 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2022, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

Bermondsey George is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BEVS
You live in the Dunedin area , no?

Big shame about your Melbourne experience. That has not been ours at all and It is such a huge and diverse area .

I am sure there are bits of Xchurch that are fine enough . Uou will get the homeless and poor everywhere just the same.
. NZ though is very expensive these years and can be rather samey and dull.

It really all depends on the individual.
No we are now in Christchurch.
Yes Christchurch does have the odd beggar and has some graffiti but I would rather be here than in Melbourne.
Nothing samey or dull in Christchurch as it has changed and changes all the time as it has improved beyond all recognition since the earthquakes.
Each pub in Melbourne is about a mile from the next one so in the summer you tend to stay in the first one you go in which is why I would rather be on a night out in Oxford Terrace than Melbourne!!
However, would I rather retire in Christchurch or the Sunshine Coast ??? That's a tough one as I love the Sunshine Coast.
Australia tends to focus everything on the beach lifestyle but as I rarely go in the sea or lay on on a beach the appeal is not as important to me.
The hassle of moving of moving everything there with pensions and health in mind would probably not make it a viable option.
Old Aug 15th 2022, 9:50 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

No we are now in Christchurch.
Yes Christchurch does have the odd beggar and has some graffiti but I would rather be here than in Melbourne.
Nothing samey or dull in Christchurch as it has changed and changes all the time as it has improved beyond all recognition since the earthquakes.
Each pub in Melbourne is about a mile from the next one so in the summer you tend to stay in the first one you go in which is why I would rather be on a night out in Oxford Terrace than Melbourne!!
However, would I rather retire in Christchurch or the Sunshine Coast ??? That's a tough one as I love the Sunshine Coast.
Australia tends to focus everything on the beach lifestyle but as I rarely go in the sea or lay on on a beach the appeal is not as important to me.
The hassle of moving of moving everything there with pensions and health in mind would probably not make it a viable option.
I'm not a Melbourne resident, but have spent some happy times there staying with friends, who I coincidentally met through this forum
They are based around the Coburg area, and we are all lovers of pub crawls, but I am now hampered by arthritis so that limits my walking. We still manage to do 7-10 pubs within a 20 minute walk, and thats being picky and not entering the less salubrious establishments! In the city centre the same is true, many good pubs within a few minutes walk. If you were addressing your remarks to Brisbane hen I would agree, the pub scene here is dire, but Melbourne, its true heaven for those of us =who love a variety of pubs, and some really good beer. I can't wait for my next visit. I think you would have to be well away from the centre to be looking at a mile between pubs.

Sunshine Coast? Yep, I agree its nice in parts - especially around Montville and Maleny, but try doing a pub crawl there. Without wheels you would have no chance.
Old Aug 16th 2022, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I'm not a Melbourne resident, but have spent some happy times there staying with friends, who I coincidentally met through this forum
They are based around the Coburg area, and we are all lovers of pub crawls, but I am now hampered by arthritis so that limits my walking. We still manage to do 7-10 pubs within a 20 minute walk, and thats being picky and not entering the less salubrious establishments! In the city centre the same is true, many good pubs within a few minutes walk. If you were addressing your remarks to Brisbane hen I would agree, the pub scene here is dire, but Melbourne, its true heaven for those of us =who love a variety of pubs, and some really good beer. I can't wait for my next visit. I think you would have to be well away from the centre to be looking at a mile between pubs.

Sunshine Coast? Yep, I agree its nice in parts - especially around Montville and Maleny, but try doing a pub crawl there. Without wheels you would have no chance.
Yeah you could be right. Not sure exactly where we stayed in Melbourne other than it was as high up in the sky as I have been in a hotel.
Old Aug 16th 2022, 3:49 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Yeah you could be right. Not sure exactly where we stayed in Melbourne other than it was as high up in the sky as I have been in a hotel.
Yes. We have stayed in CBD hotels too just for the city vibe. Also stayed with pals outside of Melbourne in a nice but quite expensive suburb with no pub in striking distance

I'm not much of a one for a pub crawl really these years, preferring to get a bit comfy, so am not sure on the city bar hopping thing tbh.
Old Aug 16th 2022, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

paddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Tom H
Wow, that's an eye opener. I've never heard anyone to have a good experience building with that company

Your house must have been sorted before it all went Pete Tong with the sunset clause in particular. Glad to hear if that's the case given what's happened since.

https://www.1news.co.nz/2021/11/16/c..._Ik1hJ04ccTShE
We were in Perth when it all went upside down and had sold our home. We got them when they were first starting out. They were building family sizes homes with standard inclusions that were expensive extras with other housing companies. They were able to achieve this with VERY low overheads. We actually had a great experience, they put us up in a rental where we only have to pay $150 a week on rent while our house was being built 10 minutes away. When we went on our electrical walk through they threw in extra sockets and lights with no extra charge. The extras is where other companies love to milk their customers however these guys weren't concerned with this, an extra socket is merely a few dollars and requires minimal effort to add in anyway. We also got $2000 worth of paving at the end for free and full landscaping front and back. They had a vision in the beginning of what they wanted to do which blew every other company away, obviously as they got big quickly they got greedy.

I was shocked when I heard what happened. We were incredibly lucky. Believe it or not they are still going. Have a look on trade me, they are advertising in North Canterbury

Last edited by paddy234; Aug 16th 2022 at 11:53 am.
Old Aug 16th 2022, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

paddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud of

I'd be keen to know how the OP feels and if they have made up their mind?
Old Aug 16th 2022, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

So you haven't actually lived in Melbourne??
Seems you visited, didn't know your way around or where everything was, weren't impressed with the river, and left.
If so your judgement is a bit harsh
Old Aug 17th 2022, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

NHNH2016 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Justcol
Go to OZ and visit NZ for a holiday.

For the first time in 15 years I wish I lived somewhere else. NZ is such a mess right now, and no sign of things improving any time in the foreseeable future
Why do you it is a mess?
Old Aug 17th 2022, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddy234
We were in Perth when it all went upside down and had sold our home. We got them when they were first starting out. They were building family sizes homes with standard inclusions that were expensive extras with other housing companies. They were able to achieve this with VERY low overheads. We actually had a great experience, they put us up in a rental where we only have to pay $150 a week on rent while our house was being built 10 minutes away. When we went on our electrical walk through they threw in extra sockets and lights with no extra charge. The extras is where other companies love to milk their customers however these guys weren't concerned with this, an extra socket is merely a few dollars and requires minimal effort to add in anyway. We also got $2000 worth of paving at the end for free and full landscaping front and back. They had a vision in the beginning of what they wanted to do which blew every other company away, obviously as they got big quickly they got greedy.

I was shocked when I heard what happened. We were incredibly lucky. Believe it or not they are still going. Have a look on trade me, they are advertising in North Canterbury
I know they're still going somehow. Someone I play golf with has been done over by them and is part of what is fast becoming a large group of angry customers of theirs'. Word is getting round fast in the building world not to touch them.

Old Aug 18th 2022, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tom H
I know they're still going somehow. Someone I play golf with has been done over by them and is part of what is fast becoming a large group of angry customers of theirs'. Word is getting round fast in the building world not to touch them.
Anyone who takes adavatage of others especially families for pouring their life savings into a Home needs to be shut down. It's happening in Australia here with companies going bust while leaving hundreds stranded with half built homes. They then just open up soon after in a different name. People even waiting 2-3 years for a standard home. It's insane
Old Aug 20th 2022, 2:25 am
Just Joined

Que Sera is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by madeupname3
I've been trying to escape the UK for about ten years and decided this year (post covid) that either had to make it happen or suck it up and stay put. My first choice was Australia but decided to widen the net to NZ to try and make sure it happened. To try and cut a long story short, I've now been offered a job in Melbourne and another in Christchurch. Adjusting for currency there $64 in them so that doesn't solve my dilemma. I've been to Melbourne twice and know I'd love it but theres something alluring about NZ. Do you guys have any advice?
It all depends on how whether you want the big city socializing experience or a suburban family life. I’d choose Melbourne if I was well-off and single, ChCh if I wanted the pleasant, comfortable family life. Google this article in NZ Herald by well-known broadcaster and family man: “simon-barnett-why-i-love-christchurch”
Old Sep 1st 2022, 11:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Justcol
So you haven't actually lived in Melbourne??
Seems you visited, didn't know your way around or where everything was, weren't impressed with the river, and left.
If so your judgement is a bit harsh
A bit harsh ?? Melbourne is just a city that I didn't particularly like that's all.
So no I didn't live there but I was there long enough to know that I didn't like it enough to want to return. There are many places in Oz that I would rather visit with the Sunshine Coast the top of the list.
Just my humble opinion and like I said, a few others (I have spoken about Melbourne with) seemed to really like it.

Old Sep 19th 2022, 11:52 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

I can't stand Melbourne although there are clearly many that love it. I think it was once voted the best city in the world to live but I can't think of a single reason why??
There are beggars everywhere going through rubbish bins for stuff to eat and there is graffiti all over the city. The river that runs through it looks like an open sewer and the crime rate is very high.
I agree re the city, I live about 40kms out of Melbourne and have no desire to visit there anytime soon.

The 'worlds most liveable city' is taken out of context and usually spruiked by the lord mayor or some politician trying to one up over somewhere else. I believe that tagline actually refers to the best place for people working overseas to reside temporarily whilst on business.

I would not live in the actual Christchurch CBD but just outside
IMO same goes for Melbourne too.
Old Sep 20th 2022, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

At last!!! the voice of reason........
I love the way on this forum that you can slag off NZ till the cows come home but if you dare say anything negative about Australia - it's deemed as a bit harsh???
Australia is an excellent country and I could easily live in Perth or the Sunshine Coast. It's just that "I personally" found Victoria to be a very underwhelming state which is why I would never return.
Melbourne did not impress me at all so despite most of the pro Melbourne comments on here, I am not exactly going to change my mind am I ??? It is an extremely busy and very dirty city which had homeless beggars everywhere.
My mood did not improve after leaving Melbourne either as we travelled to see more of the "beautiful" state of Victoria. First up was Geelong (which is basically a poor mans Brighton). Then onto Ballarat (which surely must be the suicide capital of Australia). We finally lost the will to live when we reached Ararat (which is the most depressing town I have ever visited - and I have been to Glasgow!!!).
However, each to their own I suppose.

Last edited by Bermondsey George; Sep 20th 2022 at 11:10 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.