NZ or Aus

Old Aug 6th 2022, 11:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ or Aus

Originally Posted by Moses2013 View Post
I'm surprised that so many here now prefer OZ. You are probably right and after 10-20 years most people feel that the grass is greener elsewhere. In that period you get to see the ups and downs (boom & bust) of a country and in reality it's the same everywhere. When you follow the Australian news it's all negative, same in Germany, UK, Canada, US, Ireland, Spain etc. Covid has also changed people and those who live remote now want crowds and those who had the crowds now seek remoteness. You get those who believe they are in paradise and those who believe paradise is elsewhere.
Totally agree here..
Old Aug 7th 2022, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

IrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond repute

The number of New Zealand-born people coming to settle (permanent arrivals) in Australia each year has fluctuated markedly. From 17,400 in 1981, the number decreased to a low of 5,800 in 1984, then recovered in the late 1980s, peaking at 23,500 in 1989. The economic slump in Australia during the early 1990s saw the number drop back again, as low as 6,700 in 1993, before increasing in the late 1990s to 21,900 in 2000. This made New Zealand the largest single source of settler arrivals in 2000 - representing 24% of all settler arrivals.

In 1996, there were an estimated 315,000 New Zealand-born people resident in Australia, a number estimated to have grown to 375,000 by 2000. At this time, New Zealanders made up 8% of the overseas-born population in Australia.

Source: https://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]
Old Aug 10th 2022, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

paddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mishclark View Post
In saying that. Australia is also going through the same issues with cost of living, inflation, homelessness, housing crisis etc..you just need to see the news that people have their struggles as well.
As bad as things are getting in Australia it's still ALOT better than NZ. Wages are higher and Cost of living in generally cheaper. Unless peoples wages have went up by $10 an hour since we left 18 months ago I don't see how many are getting by.
Old Aug 10th 2022, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddy234 View Post
As bad as things are getting in Australia it's still ALOT better than NZ. Wages are higher and Cost of living in generally cheaper. Unless peoples wages have went up by $10 an hour since we left 18 months ago I don't see how many are getting by.
Mine's about the same in both countries.
Old Aug 10th 2022, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

paddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud of

Then thats not so bad. The only thing is cost of living is a cheaper here aswell especially fuel and power.

I can't really speak about the rest of Australia but here in Perth one can easily get a family home around the $500,000 mark. I see the company who built our home in North Canterbury is now asking for at least $785,000 for the same package that cost us $540,000 in 2018, i mean it's 30 minutes outside of Christchurch and yet still so high, Crazy. It's the house prices that are so astronomical. If they were more affordable things wouldn't be as bad. Young people will just move away
Old Aug 10th 2022, 1:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

And probably depends in which sector people work. While the general belief is that everyone in Australia earns more, how many of these people actually live in low cost housing areas?
This guy seems to have a different opinion: https://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/h...e-in-australia
I could also do my job anywhere as long as I still spend more than half of the year in Ireland, but I don't do it and have pets to look after anyway.
There will always be different opinions.....
Those who earn more and get more for their money.
Those who earn more and get less for their money
Those who earn less and get more for their money
Those who earn less and get less for their money
Those who get the same
Old Aug 10th 2022, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

They are hugely different countries. I spent 3 months in Oz in 1990, have been here in NZ for 17 years. I have heard great things about Melbourne.

There is no doubt IMHO that NZ is descending into a degree of mayhem, or is it just catching up with the rest of the world that is currently somewhat dysfunctional?

I hope my three kids leave NZ because I am not sure this is the place to be to get ahead. I am almost 65 and will get a great pension here so for retirees it’s not a bad place to be, but for those with their whole lives ahead of them and they don’t mind a hot climate Oz would be the place to go.

On a more serious note I hear about terrible fire and flood predictions for Oz with climate change getting into top gear. One needs to research the areas in Oz that may be less prone to both these vexatious issues.
Old Aug 11th 2022, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

And they’re off!!! https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/300...-stats-nz-says
Old Aug 11th 2022, 8:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
Yesterday on Irish radio they were talking about how many young people are moving to NZ/Aus again and on social media people were claiming there are tons of opportunities in NZ for young people and cheaper housing, so you will soon receive a few more again . One thing's for sure and people come and go like it always was, the only difference these days is that social media can influence us and too many people want the same things. Although I'm happy where I am, even here you can sometimes feel trapped on an island and maybe when I'm 50 I'd like to start a new career handing out flyers in Lloret de Mar. Then again I'm always glad to be back on the island and it feels more relaxed than mainland. This is probably the dilemma for a lot of young people in NZ and you are trapped between two worlds.
Old Aug 12th 2022, 2:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

Then thats not so bad. The only thing is cost of living is a cheaper here aswell especially fuel and power.

I can't really speak about the rest of Australia but here in Perth one can easily get a family home around the $500,000 mark. I see the company who built our home in North Canterbury is now asking for at least $785,000 for the same package that cost us $540,000 in 2018, i mean it's 30 minutes outside of Christchurch and yet still so high, Crazy. It's the house prices that are so astronomical. If they were more affordable things wouldn't be as bad. Young people will just move away
Golden Homes by any chance??

Old Aug 12th 2022, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Moses2013 View Post
And probably depends in which sector people work. While the general belief is that everyone in Australia earns more, how many of these people actually live in low cost housing areas?
This guy seems to have a different opinion: https://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/h...e-in-australia
I could also do my job anywhere as long as I still spend more than half of the year in Ireland, but I don't do it and have pets to look after anyway.
There will always be different opinions.....
Those who earn more and get more for their money.
Those who earn more and get less for their money
Those who earn less and get more for their money
Those who earn less and get less for their money
Those who get the same
Totally agree with your statement. I'm back in NZ soon but in 2020 I got stuck in Oz doing work placement when the borders shut. I was too much of a tightwad to pay for hotel quarantine 😁
​​​​​​I retrained as an enrolled nurse, my pay is roughly the same in both countries. I'm about an hour and a half north of Sydney and rent as I couldn't stay with my daughter and partner all that time, not fair on them. Rent is Sydney prices here. I'm on my own so I have to pay it on my own. May be better in a cheaper area or with two wages ..

I don't want to buy here (Oz) but if I did I couldn't on my own as new stamp duty would have killed that for me..

Oh, we also got caught in floods twice since March, I'm lucky as my house is built up in stilts and I have rear access to a higher street for the cars.

Last edited by Mishclark; Aug 12th 2022 at 11:19 am.
Old Aug 12th 2022, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tom H View Post
Golden Homes by any chance??
NewStyle homes
Old Aug 15th 2022, 2:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

NewStyle homes
Wow, that's an eye opener. I've never heard anyone to have a good experience building with that company

Your house must have been sorted before it all went Pete Tong with the sunset clause in particular. Glad to hear if that's the case given what's happened since.

https://www.1news.co.nz/2021/11/16/c..._Ik1hJ04ccTShE
Old Aug 15th 2022, 2:31 am
Just Joined

Bermondsey George is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally I would take Christchurch over Melbourne any day of the week.
I can't stand Melbourne although there are clearly many that love it. I think it was once voted the best city in the world to live but I can't think of a single reason why??
There are beggars everywhere going through rubbish bins for stuff to eat and there is graffiti all over the city. The river that runs through it looks like an open sewer and the crime rate is very high.
On the plus side Melbourne has a great indoor market, trams and marina.
I would not live in the actual Christchurch CBD but just outside in towns like Rangiora, Lincoln and Rolleston are all very safe places to live with an easy 20 minute commute into the CBD.
Good luck with your decision.

Old Aug 15th 2022, 5:24 am
Where is my avatar !!

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermondsey George View Post
Personally I would take Christchurch over Melbourne any day of the week.
I can't stand Melbourne although there are clearly many that love it. I think it was once voted the best city in the world to live but I can't think of a single reason why??
There are beggars everywhere going through rubbish bins for stuff to eat and there is graffiti all over the city. The river that runs through it looks like an open sewer and the crime rate is very high.
On the plus side Melbourne has a great indoor market, trams and marina.
I would not live in the actual Christchurch CBD but just outside in towns like Rangiora, Lincoln and Rolleston are all very safe places to live with an easy 20 minute commute into the CBD.
Good luck with your decision.
You live in the Dunedin area , no?

Big shame about your Melbourne experience. That has not been ours at all and It is such a huge and diverse area .

I am sure there are bits of Xchurch that are fine enough . Uou will get the homeless and poor everywhere just the same.
. NZ though is very expensive these years and can be rather samey and dull.

It really all depends on the individual.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.