Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ access to UK websites.

NZ access to UK websites.

Old Oct 11th 2009, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

mudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud of
Default NZ access to UK websites.

While I wait for the police certificates, etc so that I can finally submit my application, I was reflecting on the experiences of my UK friend who now lives in the USA.

She says that from the USA she cannot access BBC website content. ( I think her chief concern was 'top gear'. I was wondering if this is the case from NZ - I didn't think to check for myself when I visited.

I am most interested in the Radio 4 podcasts and play it again functions- I confess to being a fan of the comedy shows, woman's hour etc. as well as 'The Archers' and 'In our Time'. I am not sure if there is an international 'world service' style website.

i can access some NZ radio from over here, but not all. I suppose it is the same the other way around!

Does anyone over there ever use Radio 4 or similar websites? If so, could you tell me what is available?

ta

Jacqui
Old Oct 12th 2009, 2:04 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ access to UK websites.

iPlayer doesn't work - or most of the Top Gear web content.
But these things can be acquired
Most stuff eventually shows on NZ TV though Top Gear is months behind and hacked about a bit to fit in the ads.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 2:06 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

I just tried the BBC iPlayer for Radio 4 and Radio 1 and both work from my work PC in NZ!!

Can I use BBC iPlayer outside the UK?

Rights agreements mean that BBC iPlayer television programmes are only available to users to download or stream (Click to Play) in the UK. However, we are aware of demand for an international version.
Most radio programmes are available outside the UK in addition to podcasts, although sporting and other programmes may be subject to rights agreements.
In addition, highlights from many of BBC News' programmes are available for viewers outside the UK, as is BBC Sport video content.

From here : http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.u...mmes/outsideuk
Old Oct 12th 2009, 2:30 am
kopites are gobshites

this charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to behold

no top gear in NZ? wow another USP.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 2:56 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

I get Radio 4 via a Squeezebox system which uses the internet I think. There are Live and Listen Again options.
Radio NZ National is similar to Radio 4 but not a patch on it really!
Old Oct 12th 2009, 3:32 am
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by this charming man
no top gear in NZ? wow another USP.
Top Gear IS available in NZ, The latest series (13 I think) started on Prime last night.

And for those who are interested, BBC Gardeners World, 2009 series, is currently showing on LivingTV at 4.30 Sunday Afternoons.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 3:44 am
Happy in Wellington

Originally Posted by NakiMan
Top Gear IS available in NZ, The latest series (13 I think) started on Prime last night.

And for those who are interested, BBC Gardeners World, 2009 series, is currently showing on LivingTV at 4.30 Sunday Afternoons.
Do they still chop the news out?
Old Oct 12th 2009, 3:49 am
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by RobClubley
Do they still chop the news out?
The format is a bit different,(they dont have every item every week) but it runs an hour and 10 minutes, so I assume they dont cut it at all

Last edited by NakiMan; Oct 12th 2009 at 3:58 am.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

mudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud of

thanks!
I can tell my friend in America- the poor girl will be consumed by jealousy!
Old Oct 12th 2009, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=RobClubley;8009169]I just tried the BBC iPlayer for Radio 4 and Radio 1 and both work from my work PC in NZ!!

wow! how cool is that? thanks, Rob!
Old Oct 12th 2009, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks to all for taking the time to check out Radio 4 and let me know. very kind of you all.

My dear friend with the 'top gear' dependency had to go to the USA because of her husband's job. She is not getting along with the 'rednecks' (y'all!) Apparently they are horribly rude... if she asks a question - in a shop for example- they turn to one another and say something like... "did you get what she said? I don't get her,( y'all)" they don't even ask her to repeat what she said, they just talk about her like she doesn't speak any English and doesn't understand! She really wants to go to NZ but has to hope that hubby's job will move that way at some point....

thanks again -
jax
xx
Old Oct 12th 2009, 8:54 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

The format is a bit different,(they dont have every item every week) but it runs an hour and 10 minutes, so I assume they dont cut it at all
It also shows on free to air satellite - on the Aussie SBS channels

www.sbs.com.au/television

along with Champions/Europa League and some better footie coverage "the world game" , along with the Ashes and other aussie sport!
Old Oct 12th 2009, 8:57 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

My sat box gets SBS 1-4 plus SBS "HD" (although the latter does not work as I don't have a HD receiver or TV).
Old Oct 12th 2009, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

We subscribe to www.***************** and watch bbciplayer/itv/channel4 players without any problems. You can do a free trial first to test it out. There are other ways, but this seems easy for a non-techy person and it works. I think you can pay a bit more and watch other programmes from other countries such as the US.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 3:14 am
Just Joined

wotif is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: NZ access to UK websites.

You can subscribe to a UK proxy IP address - about 7 GBP per month and then access the BBC iplayer and other UK TV sites.

have a look at www.xroxy.com

Last edited by wotif; Oct 13th 2009 at 3:14 am. Reason: memory issue

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.