Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ. 3rd best place in the world to live.

NZ. 3rd best place in the world to live.

Old Nov 8th 2010, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ. 3rd best place in the world to live.

Originally Posted by simonsi
GBP vs NZD 10yr chart

Well, umm....yes there is, stop sticking your head in the sand, appreciate that chart shows there IS a trend.... whether you like it or not...
I am not sticking my head in the sand. I have agreed to days of 2.70 are no longer with us. But I do not see that graph as a trend. There are HUGE swings. It is a mountain range with huge ups and downs a trend would be a relatively unlumpy ski slope down. The ups and downs are all there for many a fiscal reason. And as we all agree no one knows what is round the corner with currency. What I do know is like many others holding GBPs we have lost (on paper) a shit load of money in the past year. I am pissed off about it as you may be aware I have a trend of losing money and for once I would like to be on the smooth end of the pineapple!!
Old Nov 8th 2010, 12:42 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Come off it, any high schooler could put a line of best fit on that graph and come to a trend conclusion...

Understand the rest of yur post and you have my sympathy but the graph is what the graph is. Essentially you can hope for a step change to give some temporary relief as has hapened in the past but that is what it is, hope for temporary relief and yu would have to recognise and jump on it to see any benefit, hold out for too much swing and history shows it will disappear as fast again...
Old Nov 8th 2010, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonsi
Come off it, any high schooler could put a line of best fit on that graph and come to a trend conclusion...

Understand the rest of yur post and you have my sympathy but the graph is what the graph is. Essentially you can hope for a step change to give some temporary relief as has hapened in the past but that is what it is, hope for temporary relief and yu would have to recognise and jump on it to see any benefit, hold out for too much swing and history shows it will disappear as fast again...
And if it is a trend then in X years time the GBP will utterly worthless..like 10 cents to GBP.
Old Nov 8th 2010, 7:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by THR
Those three criteria are inter-linked, if you can read you are likely to get a better job compared to if you can't and you can earn better money which enables you to take a better care of your health thus expanding your life-span.
Most timely that today the Aussie and NZ media is all up in arms about the repatriation of homeless Kiwis back to NZ, after having found several of them begging on the streets there.

One Aussie comment in particular really chimed with me.

Gloria of CBD Posted at 1:53 PM Today
So how are these Kiwis being allowed to come here in the first place to bludge on Aussie. A recent survey said that NZ was the 3rd most livable country so why do we have so many of them over here.
Comment 148 of 150
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vic...949156531?pg=2
Old Nov 8th 2010, 7:44 am
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Charismatic
It’s a very beautiful and diverse country, we get about 4 very good months of weather a year and largely the problems of crime seem confined to large cities/dodgy areas.
Some of us rather like one of the large cities though innit it's pretty fab compared to other urban sprawls....
Old Nov 8th 2010, 4:12 pm
THR
Account Closed

THR is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Most timely that today the Aussie and NZ media is all up in arms about the repatriation of homeless Kiwis back to NZ, after having found several of them begging on the streets there.

One Aussie comment in particular really chimed with me.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vic...949156531?pg=2
How many Kiwis are there in Australia then? I think that as NZ is a small and relatively remote country then even Australia as it is a bigger country has some sort of "big world"-feel about it.

Of course, the concept of remoteness is subjective. Remote to what? London, New York? Then definetely but remote to the growing markets of SE-Asia? Not really that remote any more.
Old Nov 8th 2010, 7:25 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: NZ. 3rd best place in the world to live.

Originally Posted by THR
How many Kiwis are there in Australia then?
Most of them.

BB
Old Nov 8th 2010, 8:34 pm
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Most of them.

BB

Look on the bright side though, if there weren't New Zealand wouldn't need so many immigrants. Most of you would still be stuck in the UK.

A fair percentage of you will probably end up in Australia one day anyway.
Old Nov 8th 2010, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Most of them.

BB
But not all of them, yet. I know because I saw 2 people in the Mall yesterday and my neighbours have not gone, yet (on one side).
Old Nov 8th 2010, 9:35 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
But not all of them, yet. I know because I saw 2 people in the Mall yesterday and my neighbours have not gone, yet (on one side).
Ah, but those you saw in the mall could have been tourists (OK, bit unlikely in PN, but still).
Old Nov 9th 2010, 7:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by THR
How many Kiwis are there in Australia then? I think that as NZ is a small and relatively remote country then even Australia as it is a bigger country has some sort of "big world"-feel about it.
I think the mass exodus has slowed somewhat since the recession and lots came back home after losing jobs overseas, however I think I heard recently that it's still about 7,000 per week that jump over the ditch.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 8:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by THR
Of course, the concept of remoteness is subjective. Remote to what? London, New York? Then definetely but remote to the growing markets of SE-Asia? Not really that remote any more.
Remoteness is a lame excuse for lots of things when you live down here, we're no more remote from Asia than the UK is.

This is an interesting read about the 'New Hobbitland' Taskforce which plans to catch up to Australia by 2025

http://www.citizeneconomists.com/blo...-to-australia/
Old Nov 9th 2010, 2:59 pm
THR
Account Closed

THR is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
I think the mass exodus has slowed somewhat since the recession and lots came back home after losing jobs overseas, however I think I heard recently that it's still about 7,000 per week that jump over the ditch.
You must mean that that number of people visit Australia every week, not all of them emigrate there. After all, 7000 a week is 350000 a year and that is almost 10% of the population of NZ.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 6:05 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by THR
You must mean that that number of people visit Australia every week, not all of them emigrate there. After all, 7000 a week is 350000 a year and that is almost 10% of the population of NZ.
I believe the figure isn't far off 1/10 of the population, as crazy as that sounds. The climate is warmer and the economy stronger, those two things alone are a huge pull.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

gocebe is just really nicegocebe is just really nicegocebe is just really nicegocebe is just really nicegocebe is just really nicegocebe is just really nicegocebe is just really nicegocebe is just really nicegocebe is just really nicegocebe is just really nice

Australian Permanent Residents can live and work in N.Z. but this is not reciprocal because too many PR's would leave N.Z.

N.Z. was also forced to increase their citizenship requirement from 3 to 5 years to keep people in the country.

around 1 in 10 Kiwis live in Aus.

it doesn't sound like there is the kind of equality between the 2 countries that the UNDP report suggests.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.