British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   NZ$ vs £ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/nz%24-vs-%C2%A3-432650/)

Paladin Mar 28th 2007 2:20 pm

Re: NZ$ vs £

OH! Its a wild ride on the GBP/NZD today!!!!! :D

Maz Mar 28th 2007 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Paladin (Post 4570967)
Hi Marion!!

First a small apology - in my rush to post an earlier reply & get back to work, I did NOT see that you requested info on the USD vs. NZD (as opposed to the GBP vs, NZD!) - sorry sweetie!

<snip>

Hope that helps a tad!!

Dave
x

Yes it does, immensely, thank you for explaining it all, very much appreciated! And I love it when you call me sweetie. :wub: :D

Paladin Mar 28th 2007 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 4572949)
Yes it does, immensely, thank you for explaining it all, very much appreciated! And I love it when you call me sweetie. :wub: :D

OH!!! :devil_smile:

Paladin Mar 28th 2007 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 4572949)

Hi Marion,

just to report you are in great shape for converting US$ to NZ$ - it looks like a possible downtrend has now been confirmed which in english means the NZD to USD rate is dropping so you can get more NZ$ for your US$!!!!!

Maz Mar 28th 2007 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by Paladin (Post 4573352)
Hi Marion,

just to report you are in great shape for converting US$ to NZ$ - it looks like a possible downtrend has now been confirmed which in english means the NZD to USD rate is dropping so you can get more NZ$ for your US$!!!!!

Good news indeed, thanks so much! :thumbup: :beer:

GowHow Mar 28th 2007 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by Paladin (Post 4573352)
Hi Marion,

Dave

If the NZ$ is falling against the US$ and the £ is still strong against the US$ (1.96 at time of writing this) - Then why is the NZ$ getting stronger against the £ - or am I missing something? Surely you would convert £££'s to US$ and then to NZ$ - but that just seems plain silly (and everyone would be doing it?)

Paladin Mar 28th 2007 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by GowHow (Post 4574029)
Dave

If the NZ$ is falling against the US$ and the £ is still strong against the US$ (1.96 at time of writing this) - Then why is the NZ$ getting stronger against the £ - or am I missing something? Surely you would convert £££'s to US$ and then to NZ$ - but that just seems plain silly (and everyone would be doing it?)

Very good question indeed - what you are getting into here is called PPP & IRP: Purchasing Power Parity & Interest Rate Parity - these things ensure that on average the exchange rate between currencies is correct so that you can't just keep selling one currency and buying another to pocket the difference!! There are of course short term opportunities as these rates get slightly out of kilter on news announcements or economic data releases or whatever and this is profited on by arbitrageurs and big players in the forex market who can make money on tiny differences due to trading huge amounts, which then brings the rates back into line.

Now back to your question: the reason you are not seeing the picture clearly enough is that you are looking too short term! Pull back and look at say a weekly chart of the GBP/NZD and you will see the pound is FALLING against the NZD at the moment as I have said in some recent posts. AND in addition the falls recently in the GBP vs. NZD are NOT the same amount as the movement of the NZD vs USD and hence what appears to be such a difference in the movement of the GBP vs. the USD! The final thing is that you are talking about the NZD falling vs. the USD BUT that has only just started - it has been rising for quite a while prior to the recent days!!! Overall the NZD has risen MORE vs. the USD than the GBP vs. the USD and therefore the GBP has recently been falling vs. the NZD!!!!

Clear as mud right!!!!! ;)

Dave

Maz Mar 28th 2007 11:27 pm

:blink:

Kippers Mar 29th 2007 12:52 am

All this speculation on exchange rates is entirely just a matter of opinion.
You can just as easily loose as gain, so if your coming to NZ to live, just get on with it and stop fretting over the gamble.

For my opinion: the US dollar will crash as the reality of America's worldwide debt hits home and oil continues to sky-rocket, in turn crippling their economy.

Unfortunately, as a result, we are all likely to suffer economically and migration to NZ will probably need to end as Kiwi's flee home.

So if you are intending to come, don't leave it too much longer. The scramble to get out of overcrowded countries like the UK will be intense. :(

Kip

Paladin Mar 29th 2007 5:55 am

Originally Posted by Kippers (Post 4575500)
All this speculation on exchange rates is entirely just a matter of opinion.
You can just as easily loose as gain, so if your coming to NZ to live, just get on with it and stop fretting over the gamble.

For my opinion: the US dollar will crash as the reality of America's worldwide debt hits home and oil continues to sky-rocket, in turn crippling their economy.

Unfortunately, as a result, we are all likely to suffer economically and migration to NZ will probably need to end as Kiwi's flee home.

So if you are intending to come, don't leave it too much longer. The scramble to get out of overcrowded countries like the UK will be intense. :(

Kip

VERY VERY well stated Kip!!!!!

I couldn't agree more on all points - except you forgot to say "Buy Gold or Silver to profit from the inevitable collapse of the US Dollar"!!! :D

Dave

Kippers Mar 29th 2007 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by Paladin (Post 4576139)
VERY VERY well stated Kip!!!!!

I couldn't agree more on all points - except you forgot to say "Buy Gold or Silver to profit from the inevitable collapse of the US Dollar"!!! :D

Dave

Nah. I'm going for land. Need to feed the family and grow my own fuel. Just worried about all the JAFA's moving down country trying to find food. :eek:

Kip

ceri75 Mar 29th 2007 8:04 pm

please excuse my ignorance....but what...or who ..is a JAFA :confused: i take it there not off Stargate ???:rofl: :rofl:

Paladin Mar 29th 2007 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by Kippers (Post 4579235)
Nah. I'm going for land. Need to feed the family and grow my own fuel. Just worried about all the JAFA's moving down country trying to find food. :eek:

Kip

Good plan for sure!!!

Dave

Paladin Mar 29th 2007 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by ceri75 (Post 4579259)
please excuse my ignorance....but what...or who ..is a JAFA :confused: i take it there not off Stargate ???:rofl: :rofl:

Just Another "Farkin" Aucklander !!!

ceri75 Mar 30th 2007 8:52 am

Originally Posted by Paladin (Post 4579641)
Just Another "Farkin" Aucklander !!!

oh....:rofl: :thumbup: