NZ$ on the move

Old Sep 29th 2014, 5:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default NZ$ on the move

Been a long time since we had much fluctuation to talk of but things they are a changing by the looks of activity today; we reached the heady heights of 2.10 to the pound.

I think that's the highest I have seen in the past two years.

RBNZ in $521m currency intervention | Stuff.co.nz

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11333355

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; Sep 29th 2014 at 5:38 am.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

DennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud of
Default Re: NZ$ on the move

Awful timing as i'm just about to visit the Uk and need to ship some $$ over for spending!
Old Sep 29th 2014, 5:54 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I know exactly what has made this happen.

I finally bit the bullet and transferred a little cash gift money from the UK to NZ a couple of weeks ago.

Typical !
Old Sep 29th 2014, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

You and me both Dennis. I nearly had kittens when I saw it had gone to 0.48 GBP to the dollar. Last time I looked it was 0.52.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

anyone got a serious ideas of whats driving it??
Old Sep 29th 2014, 7:47 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

I read that it's been active intervention to weaken it because it's percieved as over-valued.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah there's been intervention but it can only have a short effect. I can't see the NZ$ finding it's real value until NZ Interest Rates balance out with the rest of the world.

Raising interest rates by a full percentage point this year in contrast to other developed countries has simply re-inforced the high value of the NZ$ dollar. The banks and NZ reserve had been forecasting even more interest rises earlier in the year (and frightening borrowers onto fixed rates), but it's clear that isn't going to happen.

NZ growth has been down two things, Christchurch rebuild and booming dairy prices. The latter since reversed, and the former will be a one off.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 10:03 pm
Nz

moving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Shit timing. I still have a loan back in uk up in 7 months time so we need to transfer money back often also I just changed 5 grand last month from GNP to nzd boooo
Old Sep 30th 2014, 10:05 pm
Nz

moving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you think changing it now would be wise , or can you see the nzd springing back a little in the next month?

Last edited by BEVS; Sep 30th 2014 at 10:19 pm. Reason: Just adjust the text speak. Makes it easier to read . :-)
Old Oct 1st 2014, 1:54 am
BE Enthusiast

From my (very limited) understanding they want it to continue to drop in value. So if I was gonna hedge my bets I'd say it won't go up again in the short term.
Old Oct 5th 2014, 3:32 am
Forum Regular

TheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond repute

There are two big factors here.

1) The NZ government and many businesses are saying the NZD is over valued and making exports from NZ expensive. So much so that they got involved by trying to forcibly devalue the currency.

2) The UK Bank of England Governor has indicated that interest rates in the UK are likely to start rising early next year.

3) The NZ Reserve said that interest rates should be staying where they are for the forseeable future.

With all of this considered, I expect to see the rate rise to around 2.2 - 2.4 by June next year. (Perfect timing for us as we are selling up in the UK!)